Can you fly your Phantom in the rain?

Whoa there boys................ don't shoot the messenger! It looks like they've found a way to waterproof it, that's all. I just report, you decide.

Reactions: Jbundy63
Good thing they have a lot of garbage cans.

Nice hand catch too.

Whoa there boys................ don't shoot the messenger! It looks like they've found a way to waterproof it, that's all. I just report, you decide.
LOL Oh I could only open the first video and not the second, just seen someone flying in the rain and was thinking maybe they just have a lot of money LOL But after watching the second video it all made sense [emoji38]

Yes, you can fly your Phantom in the rain for a short time.....

I am still afraid to let it RTH.
You should be more afraid to fly without having tried RTH.
RTH is an extremely valuable facility bit if you don't try it and understand how it works and how to resume control during RTH, you may panic and even crash when it happens and you don't know what your Phantom is doing.

Reactions: cfd701 and Otis
You should be more afraid to fly without having tried RTH.
RTH is an extremely valuable facility bit if you don't try it and understand how it works and how to resume control during RTH, you may panic and even crash when it happens and you don't know what your Phantom is doing.
Ya it is important to understand RTH, but it is also important not to depend on it for non-emergency purposes, because Compass-Error+RTH=Fly away, if you don't know how to act, and what to watch for during RTH...

Reactions: Otis
DJI sells a rain protector .... So sure you can fly in rain.
large_large-2.jpg

https://store.dji.com/product/dji-umbrella

I've flown in drizzle and light rain a couple of times although i don't recommend it. The camera lens getting blurry and needing a wiper blade is not the main reason!

Attachments

• DJI01545.jpg
    DJI01545.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 643
  • DJI01542_stitch (2).jpg
    DJI01542_stitch (2).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 577
Reactions: taroh
None whatsoever-- waste of time -- why would anyone want to make a video showing that the Phantom can fly in the rain to get a few oooohs and aaaahs. The electronics are junk after that exercise.:eek::confused::(

I won't fly if it even looks like rain - water and electronics don't play nicely together.
The tops of the motors are open, so there's the first problem, the footage would be the second problem as even rainex on the lense isn't going to make for a perfect water removal system, and since mine's a P2 with all the bells and whistles added later, and some are hanging underneath the shell, I'm none to thrilled at the idea of the vtx taking water and suddenly deciding to no longer transmit, etc.

Once I upgrade, a couple of times, and this one becomes a throw-away spare, I might try hitting all the parts of it with "Never Wet" and taking the risk, but even then I doubt I'd bother.

Yeah we can hook this up to our Phantom and fly dry! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I have a feeling the umbrella would function no differently than an ordinary umbrella design. Turning inside out and helping the thing to get a gust of wind to take it on a flight of its own.

Yeah we can hook this up to our Phantom and fly dry! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

And people say that prop guards make the Phantom susceptible to wind. Wow, I'm not looking forward to being the test pilot on the day they fly it with the umbrella installed, but could look pretty amazing flying across town, people would think someone had let their umbrella get taken by the wind.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji299]️[emoji299]️[emoji98][emoji297]️[emoji100][emoji97]

I flew in a bit of fog on Friday, when i landed her at the end of the flight the shell was dripping wet. Luckily the warmth of the battery seemed to have kept the underbody dry - Adam

And people say that prop guards make the Phantom susceptible to wind. Wow, I'm not looking forward to being the test pilot on the day they fly it with the umbrella installed, but could look pretty amazing flying across town, people would think someone had let their umbrella get taken by the wind.
The umbrella is meant to be hand mounted.

I came down as soon as I felt rain drops.

Reactions: taroh
It would be interesting to hear from someone who has tried (and lived to tell about it) flown in the rain.

Personally, I've flown my P2V+ in (very) light snow. And I've also flown it in fog - without any (noticeable) issues. I would not fly in the rain - or heavy snow. But I'd love to hear about experiences doing it :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj