Can Someone Tell Me What This Is?

Reaction score
What is happening at 11 and 16 seconds? Is this the bird turning on it's side?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like to me the camera might be loose I don't believe the drone turned on its side but the camera somehow did some time of movement. I think If the whole drone did you would still see that part of the drone as you do on the bottom right.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Looks like the thing is out of major alignment by looking at the right landing leg, and then its had enough and tries to do an auto adjust where it flips (like in the IMU cal. stages) and then goes back into the same position. Maybe time to do a full-on firmware and calibration and then recheck. Good luck.

It was a big windy and I the bird was making a turn other then this it's been fine. I will do some calibrations... There is a trackimo on the left side but again haven't seen any other issues..Thanks all.

Is this the bird turning on it's side?
With the combination of the wind gusts and the bird tilting, it's most likely just the gimbal tilting the camera. Your bird would no doubt lose altitude if it titled 90 degrees.

Last edited:
I've had this happen before. You should've gotten a message on the remote briefly about "Gimbal end point reached". When it happened to me, I think it was really windy too and I was sort of going sideways. The drone was tilted so much that the gimbal reached end point briefly and that was the result.
I believe you can test this by picking up your drone and tilting it past 45 degrees, you will see the gimbal try to keep the level until it's max end point, then it'll flip lol

Looks like gimbal is moving as the leg stays in same area

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Here is a video of what I just described. I believe this is exactly what is happening:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That happens to me often in sport mode. If you try to do a sharp 90 degree turn or a sudden U turn at high speed, (say 40 to 50 MPH) you will tilt the drone over on it's side. It's a law of physics :) That will take the gimbal to the end of its travel and you get a big bump in the image.

The wind will do this too, but not nearly as much. The wind has done it to me a couple of times, but I don't normally fly when it's windy. (over 20 MPH).

With an iDevice you can tell the attitude of the drone when you're flying by looking at the circle with the arrow on the bottom left corner of the screen. You'll see the inside of the circle is half light and half dark. Its essentially an artificial horizon. When the craft tilts left/right fore/aft, you'll see the horizon tilt too.

Last edited:
I had this problem out of the box. Back then, there was also a screeching sounds many were complaining about when the camera/gimbal were booting. That was finally fixed with software. My problem turned out not to have anything to do with the screeching gimbal problem but had to do with the ribbon cable being bowed outward and not running down the gimbal surface from the bottom of the bird where it was supposed to be. That bowing of the cable cause just enough pressure to cause the camera to flip to the side on windy days. I finally noticed the problem after seeing my camera hanging sideways when it was powered down. I pushed the cable inward to where it should have been and no more problems at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.