can my P4P+ fly on Mars?

Reaction score
considering JUST the P4P+ & its own RC system...
can they communicate on Mars?
if yes, can the bird take off on Mars
or would it just stay grounded...?
do P4P+ propellers produce enough downward thrust
for 1/60th atmosphere density...?
(remember it will weigh 1/3rd less)
(what if camera were removed to reduce weight?)

Yes ... no problem
GPS and altitude data would be a problem though
Standard sea-level air pressure on Earth is 1,013 millibars. On Mars the surface pressure varies through the year, but it averages 6 to 7 millibars.
That's less than one percent of sea level pressure here. To experience that pressure on Earth, you would need to go to an altitude of about 45 kilometers (28 miles).
Your Phantom tops out around 20,000ft because the props and motors can't push against enough air molecules to counter the weight of the drone.
It wouldn't be able to fly on top of Mt Everest, so it's definitely not going to have any chance of flying in an atmosphere the (earth) equivalent of 5 times the height of Mt Everest.
You would need to do some serious engineering to design and make something that would work up there.

You'll also have a problem with batteries because of the temperatures down around minus 80°C

I got this screenshot off my p5+ of Mars landing,looks nice but was very windy
Couldn't set a home point so missed the best part of entry, GPS was playing up ,multiple compass errors so crashed after this pic taken due to lag in the googles lol
20210328_143725.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really looking forward to the upcoming drone flight on Mars. April 8th if all goes well.

I got this screenshot of my p5+ of Mars landing,looks nice but was very windy
Couldn't set a home point so missed the best part of entry, GPS was playing up ,multiple compass errors so crashed after this pic taken due to lag in the googles lol
View attachment 121732
It must be nice to get those pre-release drones... But I hope you were flying with VLoS lol

I watched the video and the props have to spin at really high rate, much higher than earth drones use.

I got this screenshot of my p5+ of Mars landing,looks nice but was very windy
View attachment 121732
Inside sources at DJI tell me that the P6z P++ will have the deficiencies of the P5+ fixed and it should have no problem with take-off, flying and landing on Mars. The ambient temperature on the planet shouldn't be a problem with the new batteries being developed. They will be good down to -233 F. Expected release date is April 01, 2121. The anticipation may be too much for some.

Yes ... no problem
GPS and altitude data would be a problem though

Standard sea-level air pressure on Earth is 1,013 millibars. On Mars the surface pressure varies through the year, but it averages 6 to 7 millibars.
That's less than one percent of sea level pressure here. To experience that pressure on Earth, you would need to go to an altitude of about 45 kilometers (28 miles).
Your Phantom tops out around 20,000ft because the props and motors can't push against enough air molecules to counter the weight of the drone.
It wouldn't be able to fly on top of Mt Everest, so it's definitely not going to have any chance of flying in an atmosphere the (earth) equivalent of 5 times the height of Mt Everest.
You would need to do some serious engineering to design and make something that would work up there.

You'll also have a problem with batteries because of the temperatures down around minus 80°C
But the gravity on Mars is much less then earth.

Not sure about your P4P but my Mavic flies fine. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers