Can my neighbor shoot me down

YouTube <-------------------- actual dispatch

Just not sure how to proceed, the drone is registered and I def wasnt trying to spy on him
I was at the correct altitude and on the property line. I like to fly the property and take different videos and whatnot but what if next time he actually does shoot me down. Where is the law in black and white.
I need to also be sure IM not doing anything wrong. I did notice that he lied to the dispatcher and said I was "landing" in his yard several times which is not true at all I would never land in someones yard
Ill have to keep the video rolling the entire flight I guess and hope she makes it back!

Federal Law = FBI. Call the local branch. See law below:
18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities
prev | next
(a) Whoever willfully—
(1)
sets fire to, damages, destroys, disables, or wrecks any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States or any civil aircraft used, operated, or employed in interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce;
(2)
places or causes to be placed a destructive device or substance in, upon, or in proximity to, or otherwise makes or causes to be made unworkable or unusable or hazardous to work or use, any such aircraft, or any part or other materials used or intended to be used in connection with the operation of such aircraft, if such placing or causing to be placed or such making or causing to be made is likely to endanger the safety of any such aircraft;
(3)
sets fire to, damages, destroys, or disables any air navigation facility, or interferes by force or violence with the operation of such facility, if such fire, damaging, destroying, disabling, or interfering is likely to endanger the safety of any such aircraftin flight;
(4)
with the intent to damage, destroy, or disable any such aircraft, sets fire to, damages, destroys, or disables or places a destructive device or substance in, upon, or in proximity to, any appliance or structure, ramp, landing area, property, machine, or apparatus, or any facility or other material used, or intended to be used, in connection with the operation, maintenance, loading, unloading or storage of any such aircraft or any cargo carried or intended to be carried on any such aircraft;
(5)
interferes with or disables, with intent to endanger the safety of any person or with a reckless disregard for the safety of human life, anyone engaged in the authorized operation of such aircraft or any air navigation facility aiding in the navigation of any such aircraft;
(6)
performs an act of violence against or incapacitates any individual on any such aircraft, if such act of violence or incapacitation is likely to endanger the safety of such aircraft;
(7)
communicates information, knowing the information to be false and under circumstances in which such information may reasonably be believed, thereby endangering the safety of any such aircraftin flight; or
(8)
attempts or conspires to do anything prohibited under paragraphs (1) through (7) of this subsection;
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years or both.
(b) Whoever willfully—
(1)
performs an act of violence against any individual on board any civil aircraft registered in a country other than the United States while such aircraft is in flight, if such act is likely to endanger the safety of that aircraft;
(2)
destroys a civil aircraft registered in a country other than the United States while such aircraft is in service or causes damage to such an aircraft which renders that aircraft incapable of flight or which is likely to endanger that aircraft’s safety in flight;
(3)
places or causes to be placed on a civil aircraft registered in a country other than the United States while such aircraft is in service, a device or substance which is likely to destroy that aircraft, or to cause damage to that aircraft which renders that aircraft incapable of flight or which is likely to endanger that aircraft’s safety in flight; or
(4)
attempts or conspires to commit an offense described in paragraphs (1) through (3) of this subsection;
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both. There is jurisdiction over an offense under this subsection if a national of the United States was on board, or would have been on board, the aircraft; an offender is a national of the United States; or an offender is afterwards found in the United States. For purposes of this subsection, the term “national of the United States” has the meaning prescribed in section 101(a)(22) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
(c)
Whoever willfully imparts or conveys any threat to do an act which would violate any of paragraphs (1) through (6) of subsection (a) or any of paragraphs (1) through (3) of subsection (b) of this section, with an apparent determination and will to carry the threat into execution shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
(Added July 14, 1956, ch. 595, § 1, 70 Stat. 539; amended Pub. L. 98–473, title II, § 2013(b), Oct. 12, 1984, 98 Stat. 2187; Pub. L. 100–690, title VII, § 7016, Nov. 18, 1988, 102 Stat. 4395; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(O), (S), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148; Pub. L. 104–132, title VII, §§ 721(b), 723(a)(1), Apr. 24, 1996, 110 Stat. 1298, 1300; Pub. L. 109–177, title I, § 123, Mar. 9, 2006, 120 Stat. 226.)

Hey @BigAl07, besides the basic legal ramifications of that guy's actions, doesn't the FAA have something specific on the books about discharging weapons (upwards) into NAS and the possibility of hitting commercial/military aircraft, or is that what you were referring to in your post?
So now you’re outlawing every bird hunter in the country....

Reactions: BigAl07
H
And you do know that birdshot is neither aerodynamic nor spin stabilized and doesn't fly very far no matter how big it is, right?
How does that matter? Does ballistic stability imply magic drone seeking abilities? No matter how ballistically crude a shotgun pellet may be, it’ll still possibly travel well beyond the normal ceiling at which consumer drones will operate.

Of course, that’s all just details: the assertion was that the FAA somehow had something on the books banning shooting into the air. I’ve put a heck of a lot of lead, steel, copper, bismuth, tungsten, etc. into the NAS. Please don’t have me arrested.

H

How does that matter? Does ballistic stability imply magic drone seeking abilities? No matter how ballistically crude a shotgun pellet may be, it’ll still possibly travel well beyond the normal ceiling at which consumer drones will operate.

Of course, that’s all just details: the assertion was that the FAA somehow had something on the books banning shooting into the air. I’ve put a heck of a lot of lead, steel, copper, bismuth, tungsten, etc. into the NAS. Please don’t have me arrested.

It matters because, as you are perfectly well aware, I was replying to your silly comment in post #22, not addressing whether or not any particular kind of ammunition is better at bringing down drones.

It matters because, as you are perfectly well aware, I was replying to your silly comment in post #22, not addressing whether or not any particular kind of ammunition is better at bringing down drones.
. So you’re implying that flying shot IS under the purview of the FAA? That was my point, not antidrone ballistics.

But as long as you brought it up, I’d go for some #2 or larger lead, maybe a #4 buck or such. You’ve got to make sure you’ve got enough velocity up to 400’ agl to at least break a propeller, those may very well penetrate the case as well. the buck may very well just blow the case apart in midair. You could probably do it fairly easily with some 4 or 6 lead but why risk it? I think smaller than that you may be starting to lose velocity at that range, still plenty to knock the bird around a bit and possibly knock some props off balance, but I’m not sure about real drone-killing damage, especially if the UAS pilot violates that 400’ ceiling, the scoundrel..
Single projectiles like rifles or pistols would just basically be a waste of time here, it’s just too hard to hit a moving target with those with no visual frame of reference in the background to judge speed of the target. We’re not usually talking about ranges where stabilized ballistics and the aerodynamic coefficients, etc. of an actual formed bullet even come into serious play yet, so they don’t really have any clear advantage over good quality round shot.

The real problem is when you show up to the taxidermist with two halves of a phantom 4; they pretty regularly don’t do anything but just give you an odd look..

Last edited:
I think this should have been reported to the nearest FSDO. If law enforcement doesn't know the law, someone should edumacate them. I live in NC, have a 333 and 107 (an NC Commercial permit), and haven't been confronted so far. However, I regularly talk to people that think they "own" the air above their property.

Reactions: BigAl07
Bullets that go up, come down somewhere. That guy should be in handcuffs!

It is illegal in all 50 states to shoot at an aircraft. The FAA considers your drone (fully registered I’m sure) to be an aircraft)

Reactions: bad karma

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers