Can I use drone for feature films?

• Thread starter Deleted member 109724
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109724

So, I started my own unofficial small movie company 5 years ago, and it has grown and I am wanting to make full length feature films to possibly sell online and play in local theaters. I am partnering up with a church to make these movies. I'm planning on using a Blackmagic pocket cinema camera 4k when it comes out, and getting a Phantom 4 Pro for the video. I already have a field mixer and a good sound system, but I want to know if I am allowed to use the drone for taking arial shots in the movie. I am a part 107 operator. Is that enough? The funding for the movies will be solely from Church members, no sponsors, but in order to pay the team we will need to sell the movies. I know that is considered commercial work by the FAA, but is my part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate all I need to use my drone for the films? I'm planning on flying under 400 feet, during the day, only over participating people, and all those other rules, so no need for waivers I don't think, but are there other rules for feature films?

As far as the FAA is concerned, a 107 allows you to profit from use of your drone. Just be sure you have any necessary waivers IF any apply to your operations.

As far as the FAA is concerned, a 107 allows you to profit from use of your drone. Just be sure you have any necessary waivers IF any apply to your operations.
Thanks N017RW! Just want to make sure if there is anyone else on the forum who uses their drone for "movies". Thanks for your help!

Featured films usually require permits from the city they're being shot in. Keep in mind. You'll need to have all your permits and authorizations lined up. As well as a high dollar insurance policy.

And not sure a P4P will suffice for film grade quality. I guess that depends on your film, but minimum Inspire 2 with x5s, X7, or fly a larger rig with a better ground-based camera and gimbal attached.

...... I am a part 107 operator. Is that enough? ..... only over participating people, and all those other rules, so no need for waivers I don't think, but are there other rules for feature films?

You may want to research (§ 107.39) Flying directly over a person or people a bit closer.

The "participants" you mention are not the same as your flight crew. Without a (§ 107.39) Waiver you can ONLY fly over people directly responsible for the safe FLIGHT of the aircraft (your flight crew). And before you ask, you can not make everyone in the movie a VO in order to satisfy that requirement LOL (it's honestly been suggested before). Also having everyone on set "sign a release waiver" does nothing to satisfy this FAA requirement. While that's a good idea from a legal standpoint in terms of risk assessment it does nothing for the FARs.

Featured films usually require permits from the city they're being shot in. Keep in mind. You'll need to have all your permits and authorizations lined up. As well as a high dollar insurance policy.

And not sure a P4P will suffice for film grade quality. I guess that depends on your film, but minimum Inspire 2 with x5s, X7, or fly a larger rig with a better ground-based camera and gimbal attached.

You'd be surprised what many Film Crews are using for sUAS. I'd say by now most are using P4's as a minimum. Last year we were on set with a film crew (I was on scene for our Emergency Services role in the production not on film or filming) and they had 5 Phantom 3 Pros they were using for various shots for a movie in the next county over. They also had a large custom unit hauling a massive "RED" camera (I'm pretty sure I got that right) but it was used for some highspeed shots and the P3P's were used for landscape and other "easy" shots.

You may want to research (§ 107.39) Flying directly over a person or people a bit closer.

The "participants" you mention are not the same as your flight crew. Without a (§ 107.39) Waiver you can ONLY fly over people directly responsible for the safe FLIGHT of the aircraft (your flight crew). And before you ask, you can not make everyone in the movie a VO in order to satisfy that requirement LOL (it's honestly been suggested before). Also having everyone on set "sign a release waiver" does nothing to satisfy this FAA requirement. While that's a good idea from a legal standpoint in terms of risk assessment it does nothing for the FARs.
Ok, so if I don't fly over my actors, but just do simple Landscape and car tracking, nothing advanced or dangerous, I won't need any special permits or waivers as long as I don't break any of the part 107 rules?
And if I am making a film for local theaters and the internet, do I actually need to get permits to film on location, even without the Drone? Just with the simple On The Ground Cinema cameras?

Ok, so if I don't fly over my actors, but just do simple Landscape and car tracking, nothing advanced or dangerous, I won't need any special permits or waivers as long as I don't break any of the part 107 rules?
And if I am making a film for local theaters and the internet, do I actually need to get permits to film on location, even without the Drone? Just with the simple On The Ground Cinema cameras?

Follow P107 and you'll be good to go in terms of the FAA.

In regards to other "permits" etc that depends entirely on the location you're shooting. Filming is filming so if you get "Production" permits for ground shooting that should cover aerials but you'll need to research that locally.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Follow P107 and you'll be good to go in terms of the FAA.

In regards to other "permits" etc that depends entirely on the location you're shooting. Filming is filming so if you get "Production" permits for ground shooting that should cover aerials but you'll need to research that locally.

Good luck and keep us posted :)
Thanks! I just researched and found out that to shoot a commercial production in public requires a permit, but if you're in someone's house or their back 40, no need for permit. The permit is for the mess you make on public property with big cine cameras and tripods and stabilizers and boom cranes and field recorders and microphones and people and what not. It can make quite a stir on public property. If you want to have a police car star in your movie, that takes even more planning and permits, (Unless of course you do something illegal on set, then you get a couple of police cars in your movie for free!)[emoji23]

Glad I'm in France and just do it. I ask the organisers and police at the events and nobody objects. I did this and others on no budget and was well received by those involved in the events. I think it's good to get out there and show the extra memories that flying UAVs can add to an event. This video shows how I mixed ground and aerial shots. Some may recognise the music used from Band of Brothers.

Reactions: Neon Euc
The advice above is very much on target regarding licensing, permits and insurance. I would come at it from a different angle. In still image photography, the size of the sensor in the camera determines how large an image can be projected or printed without unacceptable pixelation. A P4P (or Mavic Air for that matter) makes an image or video that can easily be used with a large iMac screen and even allow for some cropping. It would work fine on a screen sized for some business presentations or "home movies". But will it work on a movie theater sized screen ... I would doubt it. That's where you need to do some testing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik