Can I take my Drone on a plane ( Europe)

Reaction score
Morning everyone!

I need some pretty urgent help, Im flying to Ibiza this coming Saturday with British Airways and coming back with Monarch. Can anyone tell me whether or not I can take my P4 with me?

As far as i understand the limit is 100W before i have to get permission from the airline to take it?

Has anyone taken the drone to Europe before and had any trouble with borer control etc?

Thanks Everyone
Banned and restricted items | Baggage essentials | British Airways

Evening [emoji6]. Several questions there. Firstly, airlines (pretty much all) require one to carry batteries in hand luggage not checked in luggage, you can check the drone in. 100W is typically battery max capacity for this - phantom batteries are under this.

Border controls another matter & someone else hopefully can advise. Take care, fly safe & enjoy

Hey! I've taken my Mavic on several BA and American airlines flights and had no problem. I've never even been checked by the airline, and airport security have never raised a concern.

As Loz has said above, you must take batteries in hand luggage, grab yourself an inexpensive LiPo bag from Amazon (do a quick search of "Phantom 4 LiPo bag" and you'll get results.

I've travelled to Madrid earlier this year and had no problems going in or out so you should be okay!

This post might come late for some of you but I thought I would share my personal experience about this for future travelers. I flew with my Phantom3Pro last year for five months across the world to many cities with various airline carriers (Hawaii, Alaska, Nevada, Florida, Iceland, Hungary) and the only airport where they made me check it in was in Budapest. I was flying out of Hungary on Sept 15, 2016, and security did not let me take the drone on board with me as a carry-on. When I contested, they showed me a piece of unsigned paper which was supposedly written by some unknown "security expert" recommending the airport not to allow drones on planes as a carry-on "because they can be deadly". I am not sure what part they thought was so dangerous to my fellow humans because they let me check-it in for the same plane in the cargo hold so I guess the deadly part must have been the little plastic blades (note the irony...) which I was willing to sacrifice and leave with them by the way but they did not like my solution and did not budge.
It is also now on the airport's website as their official policy.
I have to say, it was very scary for me to let my birdy out of my sight for the first time and I was extremely uncomfortable about it because I have seen how luggages are generally handled during air transits on these long flights and it is a big responsibility to fly a drone when you have no idea what kind of abuse it has actually gone through beforehand. I did not even know at that time that Norwegian Airlines would lose it case for 8 days also, so I was without my drone for the entire first week in Florida and was sulking instead of filming. It was a very annoying experience and could have been avoided completely.

This post might come late for some of you but I thought I would share my personal experience about this for future travelers. I flew with my Phantom3Pro last year for five months across the world to many cities with various airline carriers (Hawaii, Alaska, Nevada, Florida, Iceland, Hungary) and the only airport where they made me check it in was in Budapest. I was flying out of Hungary on Sept 15, 2016, and security did not let me take the drone on board with me as a carry-on. When I contested, they showed me a piece of unsigned paper which was supposedly written by some unknown "security expert" recommending the airport not to allow drones on planes as a carry-on "because they can be deadly". I am not sure what part they thought was so dangerous to my fellow humans because they let me check-it in for the same plane in the cargo hold so I guess the deadly part must have been the little plastic blades (note the irony...) which I was willing to sacrifice and leave with them by the way but they did not like my solution and did not budge.
I have to say, it was very scary for me to let my birdy out of my sight for the first time and I was extremely uncomfortable about it because I have seen how luggages are generally handled during air transits on these long flights and it is a big responsibility to fly a drone when you have no idea what kind of abuse it has actually gone through beforehand. I did not even know at that time that Norwegian Airlines would lose it case for 8 days also, so I was without my drone for the entire first week in Florida and was sulking instead of filming. It was a very annoying experience and could have been avoided completely.

Hi Noelani,

I have just started a blog about travelling with drones and wondered if you would mind me referencing your recent experience in Budapest as an example of the importance of checking with airports policy before travelling? It is really great to have a "real life" experience!

All the best,
Zolagirl

Same experience here with the same country.I had to check it in...fortunately not any damages to the bird

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj