Can I post these videos ?????

Reaction score
I don't want to break any laws so I'd like to ask first.

There has been a weather condition that creates Blue ice ridges in the Straits of Mackinaw. I took so video and then thought about the Makinaw bridge bring so close. Looked at the footage I shot and there is a Coast Guard cutter docked in port.

I did NOT show a no fly zone.

Is it legal to share these images ?????

As long as you were legal to fly there you are good to go. :)

My thought was, the Bridge is a "soft target" and the cutter is a military ship.

I just didn't want to break any laws.

As long as you are clear to fly there and you didn't fly over any traffic on the bridge you should be OK.

My thought was, the Bridge is a "soft target" and the cutter is a military ship.
I just didn't want to break any laws.
Photography is not a crime.
If there was a problem photographing a bridge or a CG cutter, they wouldn't leave them out where they can be seen and photographed.
People photograph bridges and military vessels every day.
Like this:
i-Cm3cZxk-L.jpg

Reactions: StanMI
Photography is not a crime.
If there was a problem photographing a bridge or a CG cutter, they wouldn't leave them out where they can be seen and photographed.
People photograph bridges and military vessels every day.
Like this:
i-Cm3cZxk-L.jpg
Dang- they need to clean or repaint that ship- it looks nasty !!!!

I have flow over under and all around that bridge many times, photographed many ships including military. Photographed same from boats around or below it. No one has said anything at anytime. Of course, use some common sense too; don’t fly too close or on a way that could be considered aggressive (flying at a military ship at full sport mode speed can unnerve the crew). I try to keep 200 feet or more from any part of the structure.

P.s., bonus fun if you feel like skirting the law. Drones are restricted, but not outright banned, on Mackinac Island. But it’s defined as taking off or landing, they forgot to specifically restrict just the flying part. So, you can take off from just outside the docks for the ferry to the island and fly over to the island. It’s 5 miles to the center of the island, but most of it is over open water; within what a P4 can do. I use simple reflectors for added signal strength.

Back to topic, it’s not my best work... made it to the bridge literally 5 min before the ship was to arrive, rushed to take off before the USS Detroit went past, total rush job: fortunately I was able to drive ahead of it and get better vid further down river that came out much better.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers