Can I fly?

Reaction score
I'm flying recreationally, and want to fly my drone at my church, but when I check the airspace on Airmap, it is in the yellow circle of a tiny airport and it says "no phone number provided." How do I fly at my church? Or anywhere where there are those tiny yellow circles that provide no phone number for the rural airports? I know I'm not allowed to fly over red areas, but what does a recreational hobbyist do when they are near one of these airports?

When it comes to where you can fly recreationally, it all depends on airspace, not how close you are to one.

If it's a controlled airport, you can't fly there at the moment. But starting July 23rd, you'll be able to get permissions.

If it's a small airport, you should be able to fly.

Can you share what the name of the airport is, or your church's address? I can check on ArcGIS.

Reactions: clackey
The airport is Independence State Airport in Independence Oregon

It appears to not be controlled airspace, like in Salem or Portland, where you can't really fly anywhere, but Airmap gives me a warning, so I don't know if I'm allowed to fly there or not.

State Airport is not controlled airspace. Just East of you is McNary (KSLE), but it's quite a ways away. So you're free to fly without notifying the airport.

Airmap is giving you very bad information. As it's known to do. There is no longer any requirement to notify an airport if you're flying under hobby rules. That requirement went away when President Trump signed the 2018 FAA Reauthorization Act.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 1.49.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 1.49.09 PM.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 347
Cool thanks. What about laanc? Can I fly in controlled airspace once laanc comes out and I register a flight with it say if I wanted to fly in controlled airspace in Salem?
Also what is a better app than Airmap for accurate info?

b4ufly is the fa's own app you could try it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair