Can I fly with 2 carbon props, 2 plastic?

Reaction score
I have no idea HOW I missed it but apparently the carbon fibre props I bought on the DJI website only come with 2?! How silly... but I guess I didn't read enough... I thought $15 seemed low for these bad boys.

Anyway, can I fly with 2 carbon and 2 plastic? Or is that going to mess up the flight stability or something? I guess I should just order two more but... just wondering.

Thanks!

I would think you could fly with mix matched props it might just throw your drone off balance a little. Maybe cause some vibration?

Don't mix and match props. Only fly with 2 sets of the same matched pairs.

Great Pumpkin If you try to fly with miss matched sets of props. One set may have a slightly different pitch. Since the drone assumes that all props are the same this could led to control problems.
It is not worth it just get your props from a known source that is reputable. These birds cost too much to take chances and they are a dangerous item. The blades are sharp and spinning at a high rate of speed.

Great Pumpkin If you try to fly with miss matched sets of props. One set may have a slightly different pitch. Since the drone assumes that all props are the same this could led to control problems.
It is not worth it just get your props from a known source that is reputable. These birds cost too much to take chances and they are a dangerous item. The blades are sharp and spinning at a high rate of speed.

Flying mismatched SPECED props is not advisable.

However if they are the same spec than it's less of an issue.

The specific difference here would be stiffness of the props. While not optimal it would allow flight and 'get you off the island' in a pinch.

Each ESC/motor/prop combo is a separate control output 'channel'.

If one channel is providing more lift/thrust then the others can compensate but this comes with some type of compromise be it efficiency, stability, etc.

Last edited:
I'm just kind of curious as to why you are considering this? What are you hoping to gain?

Don't see it that way.

Maybe [he is] just wondering why Ian advised agaist it.
He's not even the OP.

Don't see it that way.

Maybe [he is] just wondering why Ian advised agaist it.
He's not even the OP.

Oh I meant the question for the OP... my bad

I have no idea HOW I missed it but apparently the carbon fibre props I bought on the DJI website only come with 2?! How silly... but I guess I didn't read enough... I thought $15 seemed low for these bad boys.

Anyway, can I fly with 2 carbon and 2 plastic? Or is that going to mess up the flight stability or something? I guess I should just order two more but... just wondering.

Thanks!
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do it. I understand wanting to try out your new carbon props, but wait 'till you get 4 of them.

Ask and you shall receive. Well in some cases anyway. So after the question was asked I had to see for myself if you could since the basic answer was "no you can't or no you shouldn't", well apparently you can. Now I wouldn't advise doing this because the quad was very unstable. I was standing close to my house and I have an all metal roof so I don't know if that played a roll with interference? Again I can't imagine why anyone would want to fly this way and I wouldn't recommend it but it can be done. One other factor is I have never balanced any props.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looked a bit windy though. Might have played into it. Now, to do this correctly you need TWO Phantoms, one with the different props and a control. Need to fly them at the same time.

So, now you have an excuse to get another bird.....

It's just a bad idea. It may fly but it will be unstable. The flight controller assumes equal thrust capabilities on each motor. Props of different material and/or shape/casting will behave differently.

You could use different props on a custom mix but that is usually only in a coaxial configuration.

Of course it's a bad idea. But looking at the props, they have the same shape - at least to a close visual inspection. They weigh the same - 12 grams. So you can do it - as natvtrader has shown.

Of course it's a bad idea. But looking at the props, they have the same shape - at least to a close visual inspection. They weigh the same - 12 grams. So you can do it - as natvtrader has shown.

Different material. Different flight characteristics. You have nothing to gain and a lot to lose. Bad idea. I'll leave it at that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31