Can I fly using another app? In a no fly zone.

Reaction score
Hi everyone ,

So my dads home and 6 acre property is going to be purchased by the pa turnpike . It has been coming for over 25 years or so. About a year ago I was able to fly my drone and take some pictures for him. His property is certainly within a few mile radius of the county airport . I understand why the app will not even let me take off. And I agree with the rules . My question is .. can I use another app That may allow me to fly there? His home sits at the bottom of a hill and if I fly from his field on top of the property I would not need to fly more than 50 feet high at best to get a few more pictures for him. I have been wondering if using another application might be able to help me? It would be nice and pretty neat , if the DJI 4 go app was somehow maybe able to allow an exception to the rule. Any advice would be appreciated . Thank you !

Not with DJI drones. Other makes may be able to do this but is not worth the risk, IMO. Loss of drone, fines, court cost, lawyer, possible jail time. They could even use your pictures as evidence.
Yes, it’s a bummer. Good luck

County airport, you may just be altitude limited. Check the grid on AirMap. Have you tried to fly? You may be legal and not breaking rules. It may just be giving you a warning message.

Thanks everyone . And No , not looking to break any rules. Looking for an exception. Due to the circumstances . If I am saying that correctly. The county airport is very busy so there is a no fly and no low altitude choice at all .

Flying in a No Fly Zone is illegal, get a 107 License and Get a waiver. Do you really want to be the guy who hits a plane?

Reactions: dewens
He may be in a situation like I am. I have a helicopter pad a couple hundred yards from my house that puts me in a restricted zone. I haven't seen a helicopter there in years, so no need for my area to be restricted. So I went with no limit dronz solution and now it doesn't matter. I guess i'm breaking the law flying where a rich guy use to have a helicopter. Sorry.

He may be in a situation like I am. I have a helicopter pad a couple hundred yards from my house that puts me in a restricted zone. I haven't seen a helicopter there in years, so no need for my area to be restricted. So I went with no limit dronz solution and now it doesn't matter. I guess i'm breaking the law flying where a rich guy use to have a helicopter. Sorry.
Why are yall giving him a thumbs up? That's terrible advice lol. Dudes gonna end up taking out a Cessna....

You may want to look for another location to fly.
Why are yall giving him a thumbs up? That's terrible advice lol. Dudes gonna end up taking out a Cessna....

You can legally fly in a DJI No Fly Zone as long as you get FAA authorization via LAANC and do a self unlock on the DJI app or through DJI website.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31