Can I fly over my own car?

He would not be violating any regulations in this case. He's not in a restricted flight area, is not operating the UAV from a vehicle and he is not flying directly over a vehicle. That's it.

Actually he said that he would be directly over the vehicle, so 107.39 does apply. It's not a stationary vehicle, so 107.39 (b) is not met, but if the driver of the vehicle is part of the operation then 107.39 (a) could be argued to be met.

Which was my observation. But again, these are my interpretations of the law based on the way it is written. And why lawyers make a lot of money. It's an "either/or", not an "and" to the way I'm seeing it.

Actually he said that he would be directly over the vehicle, so 107.39 does apply. It's not a stationary vehicle, so 107.39 (b) is not met, but if the driver of the vehicle is part of the operation then 107.39 (a) could be argued to be met.
okay, will he can clarify whether he will be literally directly over the vehicle or near it. That's what we are interpreting for ourselves and basing hypothetical situations on.

okay, will he can clarify whether he will be literally directly over the vehicle or near it. That's what we are interpreting for ourselves and basing hypothetical situations on.

From the OP in post #1:

"I want to have a friend drive my car, while I stand on the side of the road and fly my drone directly over and behind and next to my car.I want to have a friend drive my car, while I stand on the side of the road and fly my drone directly over and behind and next to my car."​

I'm not sure how much clearer that could be.

Studying too. Hope to get mine asap. Just got a autel evo and getting a mavic air next week. Btw Weston. I think youd be good. Im pretty sure its also ok for someone to drive and you sit in the car as well and control the bird as long as ita rural and you felt comfortable enough to do so!

From the OP in post #1:

"I want to have a friend drive my car, while I stand on the side of the road and fly my drone directly over and behind and next to my car.I want to have a friend drive my car, while I stand on the side of the road and fly my drone directly over and behind and next to my car."​

I'm not sure how much clearer that could be.
That's all well and good, but it's still hypothetical to what actually happens. Tracking in my experience has never worked directly over a vehicle and unless he is a really good pilot then maintaining that is unlikely. Bottom line is that he now knows that flying directly over a vehicle is a violation and he can adjust his program accordingly. Not really a big deal... And he's not a 107 pilot, right? it might be a good idea for everyone to read up on the new recreational laws.

I can see how you might think that the driver of the car could be part of the operation but that isn't the same as part of the Flight Crew. This could be Pilot, VO, Safety Officer, Engineer etc etc.Yes you could definitely "Train" them to fulfill one of those roles but when they are tasked with operating the car that removes them from the Flight Crew.

The operator of the car isn't part of the Flight Crew in any shape form or fashion. You can't be driving a car and also be responsible for the Safety of the Flight simultaneously.

He would not be violating any regulations in this case. He's not in a restricted flight area, is not operating the UAV from a vehicle and he is not flying directly over a vehicle. That's it.

You totally missed it in the first post and in the title of the thread. Also he specifically asked about "flying over the car" in post #17.

I see your point Al. But if that is the case, how does one fly a drone from a moving car in a sparsely populated area? It would require a driver, either the pilot or a flight crew member, wouldn't it?

Studying too. Hope to get mine asap. Just got a autel evo and getting a mavic air next week. Btw Weston. I think youd be good. Im pretty sure its also ok for someone to drive and you sit in the car as well and control the bird as long as ita rural and you felt comfortable enough to do so!

With all due respect, you're absolutely wrong my friend. There is no provisions in the regulations to fly over a car regardless of location (rural or not).

@Weston Ney since you're preparing for your P107 you want to think seriously about what you're doing going forward. Once you have Part 107 you'll be held to a higher standard across the board. Also the LAST thing you want to do is get on the FAA's radar especially if you want to do this long-term.

"Once you have Part 107 you'll be held to a higher standard across the board. Also the LAST thing you want to do is get on the FAA's radar especially if you want to do this long-term. "

On this we have no disagreement lol. I'm basing my observations on the way the law was worded. Guys, listen, no matter what my opinion is Allen has had far more many missions, years, and interactions with the FAA on drone issues than I have. Regardless of my opinion of how the law is worded, for safety's sake if nothing else follow his advice. As I've stated I am not above being wrong in my interpretation of anything....which I'm sure my wife would heartily agree with....

^^^^ Spoken like a gentleman and a scholar. Appreciate the adult and rational "banter".

Thanks all for the clarifications and opinions. It good to hear other interpretations. I've got well over 1,000 flights, but luckily 90% of them don't deal with any restricted airspace so it's a good reminder to check in regularly with all the other regulations. That's why we have a drone lawyer. I personally would never fly directly over a car so apologies for not catching that.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's all well and good, but it's still hypothetical to what actually happens. Tracking in my experience has never worked directly over a vehicle and unless he is a really good pilot then maintaining that is unlikely. Bottom line is that he now knows that flying directly over a vehicle is a violation and he can adjust his program accordingly. Not really a big deal... And he's not a 107 pilot, right? it might be a good idea for everyone to read up on the new recreational laws.
Well here's the thing, I'm a really good pilot... 'Nuff said.

Just kidding. In all seriousness though, I feel I have become a good pilot, for one thing before I knew that's I was not supposed to fly directly over cars I actually did do it, at almost 40 miles an hour, and tracked the car perfectly. I am also pretty good at flying very close to objects, and through small spaces. The problem is I focused way more on learning how to fly in extreme situations than learning the rules. I am starting my training through remotepilot101, and listening to Tony Northrup video while at work. I'm learning quite a bit.

Reactions: chascoadmin
With all due respect, you're absolutely wrong my friend. There is no provisions in the regulations to fly over a car regardless of location (rural or not).

@Weston Ney since you're preparing for your P107 you want to think seriously about what you're doing going forward. Once you have Part 107 you'll be held to a higher standard across the board. Also the LAST thing you want to do is get on the FAA's radar especially if you want to do this long-term.
So I'm not going to fly directly over cars anymore. Thanks so much for your help clearing it up.

I still will probably fly my drone near cars, or on public roads, but I'm guessing a safer bet for filming some of my commercial work that has to do with cars would be for me to hang a camera on a gimbal out the side window of another car, or out the back window of my 4Runner. And use the Drone to film angles of the car from the air, off to a slight angle so that I'm not flying over the car, and obviously on a road that does not have any other cars on it. If I am going to be doing any actual commercial work, I will contact my local police to see how I can get a road blocked off, and then of course the client would have to pay for that...

I am trying to specialize in cinematic and exciting commercials, and it seems like a lot of these laws make that difficult, but I definitely don't want to endanger anybody or break any of these laws, so I will make sure to try my best to follow them.

Starting a video production business isn't easy! it was a little easier 12 years ago back when I was using a cheap camera filming myself and my little brother in our backyard haha!

107.39 is for operations over human beings and is the only reg as far as I know where it states anything about flights over vehicles. So if I get a waiver for 107.39 would it specifically state that I could fly over human beings as long as they are not in a moving vehicle? Just asking for clarification.

Thanks for correcting me. I guess i didnt read enough of the posts before I opened my mouth. I meant flying from the car more or less i didnt know he was referring to flying over it while it was in movement. Never done it and dont plan on it. And would definitely do my research as mr. weston is

Reactions: BigAl07
Flying from the car is illegal as well.
Thanks for correcting me. I guess i didnt read enough of the posts before I opened my mouth. I meant flying from the car more or less i didnt know he was referring to flying over it while it was in movement. Never done it and dont plan on it. And would definitely do my research as mr. weston is

Flying from the car is illegal as well.
Section 107.25 Operation from a moving vehicle or aircraft.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system—
(a) From a moving aircraft; or
(b) From a moving land or water-borne vehicle unless the small unmanned aircraft is flown over a sparsely populated area and is not transporting another person’s property for compensation or hire.

seen this awhile back and wondered how he did it. Anybody that doesnt have the time to watch the whole thimg can jump to 6.30 im sure he had some kind of waiver. But..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl