Can I fly Mavic Mini where Phantom 4 was restricted?

Reaction score
For example, Fort Point, San Francisco, I cannot fly my Phantom 4 because its it within the Golden Gate National Park. Would I be able to fly my Mavic Mini there? Also, within 5 .miles of an airport where a Phantom 4 is generally restricted, would I be able to fly the Mavic Mini around, say over the ocean or a field 30 ft elevation? Trying to decide whether to sell my Phantom if the Mavic Mini can film places I am restricted from flying, namely over a couple local surf spots. FYI, I have a Part 107, been flying for 4 years, an familiar with all safety regs etc. Just not sure how Mini fits in. Thank you.

For example, Fort Point, San Francisco, I cannot fly my Phantom 4 because its it within the Golden Gate National Park. Would I be able to fly my Mavic Mini there? Also, within 5 .miles of an airport where a Phantom 4 is generally restricted, would I be able to fly the Mavic Mini around, say over the ocean or a field 30 ft elevation? Trying to decide whether to sell my Phantom if the Mavic Mini can film places I am restricted from flying, namely over a couple local surf spots. FYI, I have a Part 107, been flying for 4 years, an familiar with all safety regs etc. Just not sure how Mini fits in. Thank you.
No you may not do any of those things.

The only difference is that you do not need to register the MM. Other than that you must follow ALL of the same rules and regulations.

Flight Restrictions are Flight Restrictions.... period!!

As stated above.. the ONLY allowance the MM has is no HOBBY registration requirement. Everything else (including Commercial Registration if it's used as such) is still required regardless of weight.

Settle down guys, it's just a question. DJI Fly says it's ok to fly at Fort Point while Airmap says no. That's why I am asking the question. No need to get upset. I understand regulations, I am not an amateur but there is a disconnect between Airmap and DJI Fly. I've never flown a Mini, that's why I'm asking. Jeez.

As stated above.. the ONLY allowance the MM has is no HOBBY registration requirement. Everything else (including Commercial Registration if it's used as such) is still required regardless of weight.
I understand your position, but if a kid had a toy drone, he has to comply?

Settle down guys, it's just a question. DJI Fly says it's ok to fly at Fort Point while Airmap says no. That's why I am asking the question. No need to get upset. I understand regulations, I am not an amateur but there is a disconnect between Airmap and DJI Fly. I've never flown a Mini, that's why I'm asking. Jeez.
No one was upset. I just answered the question you asked.

It is important to note that DJI Fly is not the definitive source of where you can and can't fly. The RPIC is always ultimately responsible for knowing the airspace restrictions. Although AirMap is generally excellent, it too is not the definitive source. The only way to know for sure is by consulting the VFR Sectional chart (and the FAA for any TFR in effect) for the location and time you are flying. It is always good to check multiple apps if you are not sure, but when in doubt always go to the official FAA resources.

Things got a little messed up. Lol
I understand your position, but if a kid had a toy drone, he has to comply?
Yes he does. There is no classification of UAV which is exempt from following all airspace regulations. Having said that, it seems impractical for a toy drone (without GPS and altitude hold) to even be able to get into a a situation that causes danger. However all the regulations do still apply.

Reactions: BigAl07

First off no one was upset what so ever. Your question was answered and answered accurately.

The "Regulations" no longer have anything to do with 5 miles from an airport what so ever (recreational or Part 107). So that part of the conversation is irrelevant.

Yes he does. There is no classification of UAV which is exempt from following all airspace regulations. Having said that, it seems impractical for a toy drone (without GPS and altitude hold) to even be able to get into a a situation that causes danger. However all the regulations do still apply.
People think of a toy as a toy. I had my Holy Stone drone 300 feet up. That was it's range. It was a fly away. Who's going to tell the kids this Christmas the rules. Are they on the toy box? Maybe they are now? If I was a kid, I know I would love to see how close I could get to a plane and get a cool picture. Never once thinking it could cause harm.

Reactions: weldor
No one was upset. I just answered the question you asked.

It is important to note that DJI Fly is not the definitive source of where you can and can't fly. The RPIC is always ultimately responsible for knowing the airspace restrictions. Although AirMap is generally excellent, it too is not the definitive source. The only way to know for sure is by consulting the VFR Sectional chart (and the FAA for any TFR in effect) for the location and time you are flying. It is always good to check multiple apps if you are not sure, but when in doubt always go to the official FAA resources.
I don't know about that upset part. You sounded a lot like my mother, "No you may not do any of those things." LOL

I don't know about that upset part. You sounded a lot like my mother, "No you may not do any of those things." LOL

WV, I can assure you, without a doubt, if I was trying to scold you, you would have ZERO questions you were being scolded. I am fairly adept at putting any "intense emotion" into my typed text so it's clearly understood.

When someone asks a question with the gravity of the OP's it needs to be addressed in a frank and clear manner without sugar coating. I didn't add "fluff" on purpose but that was far from Motherly Scolding!!

WV, I can assure you, without a doubt, if I was trying to scold you, you would have ZERO questions you were being scolded. I am fairly adept at putting any "intense emotion" into my typed text so it's clearly understood.

When someone asks a question with the gravity of the OP's it needs to be addressed in a frank and clear manner without sugar coating. I didn't add "fluff" on purpose but that was far from Motherly Scolding!!
M

My my, we do get our knickers in a twist !
As a general observation, I have 2 drones, P3a over 250grms, and a micro way under 250, with a 25mtr range, and that I will fly anywhere, but.,, obviously keeping the legal distance away from people and airports etc but will fly in my property, village etc. Bearing in mind UK drone law. Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Haha
Exactky and the Mini is basically and legally a toy drone.
Calling it a toy does Not change a thing the rules are the rules some of us follow the rules because we don't want to be regulated into extinction & some because they make a living & all of us don't want to be that guy that crashed a plane also BigAl07 is a really nice guy if you get to know him ( he would have to be to put up with me:)
Safe Flying

Exactky and the Mini is basically and legally a toy drone.

Legally a toy? That term doesn't even exist. Just because you make a term up doesn't make it factual or accurate.

It's a sUAS, also designated an AIRCRAFT around 2012 by Congress and as such subject to ALL of the rules and regulations of the FAA with exception to Hobby registration. The sooner you accept that and start treating it as such the better off everyone will be.

Dont be silly, flight restrictions are flight restrictions regardless of the size of drone.

I wouldn't consider the Mavic Mini a toy drone. I wouldn't buy it for my kids. I also think anybody that spends 10,000 dollars for a drone is an idiot unless you have a business.

Talking about toy drones and kids is stupid subject. How many kids would ever fly into airspace with a $50.00 drone.

I wouldn't consider the Mavic Mini a toy drone. I wouldn't buy it for my kids. I also think anybody that spends 10,000 dollars for a drone is an idiot unless you have a business.

Talking about toy drones and kids is stupid subject. How many kids would ever fly into airspace with a $50.00 drone.
Where is airspace?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4