Can I fly from a pier

Reaction score
I fish on Hatterus, NC and the area is a national park.

Can I launch from a private pier and fly out over the ocean to drop a fishing bait.

I am actually not on park soil while on the private pier.

I would be flying below 100 ft.

What is a 107 and must I get one to fly a drown?

NCbrew

I will not comment on the 107 or legality of the location. That's something that is local and subject to Byelaws etc.

What I will comment on ... is the structure you plan to fly from. Generally Piers / Docks / Pontoons have a lot of metal in them - this usually upsets the compass in the Drone.

DO NOT recalibrate on the Pier !! ... once you take off - the drone will then lose the effects of the Pier and have poorly calibrated compass ..

Personally ... if allowed to fly of the Pier ... power up and see what happens. I suspect you wont be able to fly.

Why not find Park Officer and ask nicely - explaining what you want to do ? I think most people have problems because they don't ask ?

Nigel

Reactions: unit338 and ncbrew
I will not comment on the 107 or legality of the location. That's something that is local and subject to Byelaws etc.

What I will comment on ... is the structure you plan to fly from. Generally Piers / Docks / Pontoons have a lot of metal in them - this usually upsets the compass in the Drone.

DO NOT recalibrate on the Pier !! ... once you take off - the drone will then lose the effects of the Pier and have poorly calibrated compass ..

Personally ... if allowed to fly of the Pier ... power up and see what happens. I suspect you wont be able to fly.

Why not find Park Officer and ask nicely - explaining what you want to do ? I think most people have problems because they don't ask ?

Nigel

Nigel, Thanks for the reply.

I will contact a park officer.

There is also an airport nearby.

I do not own a drone as of yet. I am leaning toward a Phantom 3SE

The pier is all wood.

Ncbrew

If it's concrete then there is a possibility of re-bar which may be an issue depending on amount.

Otherwise, steel is a poor choice for saltwater construction. In Fla. it's usually a combo of concrete, aluminum, wood and composites.

Re-legality- The current consensus is if you have permission from the Pier owner or entity, operate from it exclusively, and follow FAA safety guidelines... you should be OK.

If all wood ... then should be fine ....

I have a wood dock in my private moorings back of my house ... even with the metal fixings - its OK for my P3P. But I have to be careful where on the dock !!

P3 SE ? I had the P3S and it was good but once I changed to the P3Pro - I was far happier ....

Nigel

Keep it simple.......Get a Big Long Ocean Rod.."If you don't have one already"..Toss that bait out with a nice BIG Sinker and relax and wait for a bite !....flyn over any type of water has its hazards....If theirs a drone malfunction ..and even the best Drones can have them....you loose it in the water....Buying a drone to suit your needs weather it be a P3S or a P4 Adv...is how much money You want to spend....some guys are happy with a P-3S...some need it all and many times the people and place where they buy them from has the Biggest Smile !

OK.your not On Park soil BUT :

Drone Flying at National Parks Can Result in Penalties, Fines

Last edited:
I fish on Hatterus, NC and the area is a national park.

Can I launch from a private pier and fly out over the ocean to drop a fishing bait.

I am actually not on park soil while on the private pier.

I would be flying below 100 ft.

What is a 107 and must I get one to fly a drown?
Check out AirMap to see where the no fly zones are for the National Park property and the radius around the airfields down there. Note that even if you are flying below 100 feet the rules apply.

AirMap Web App

Note that a Part 107 certificate is what you get if you are flying your drone for "other than hobby" purposes. (Typically, this would be commercial operations.) You don't need one if you are flying for hobby/recreation only. But the national park rules still apply. As do the rules for notifying the airport tower if you are flying within 5 miles.

Attachments

• airmap hatteras.png
    airmap hatteras.png
    329.9 KB · Views: 400
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4