Can I fix the motor myself???

Reaction score
The other day, I was flying my Phantom Pro 3. Low battery, return to home activated.
The Pro 3 returned close to the home position, but not the exact spot. It landed about 10 feet away. Hit a post 2 feet off the ground and flipped over. The motors then went to high speed, and I could not turn off Phantom with controller. I had to remove the battery. The problem is, one of the motors melted the plastic around the motor, causing it to freeze up and smoke. Today I took a small knife and slowly cut the plastic away from the motor, so that it spun freely. I took it outside and started the Pro 3. All props were spinning. I took the aircraft up to 5 feet and landed it. No problems. But the one motor is crooked. The motor mounting screws are not removable because the plastic melted. I was thinking, if I could heat up the plastic and move the motor, with pliers to the correct position and let cool, that might do it. Do I send it to DJI or attempt to fix it? See pictures below. Thanks for your input.
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

I think I'll send it to DJI to be fixed. Thanks for your input.
One more question. The aircraft was on a RTH, because of low battery. It would not abort landing, manual controls were not an option. The aircraft returned 10 feet front he home position. This caused it to hit a post and tip over. My question is, could I have saved the crash with a hand catch? Since it was in autonomous mode I feared it would not be safe.

I often hand catch my drone in places where the landing spot is uneven or may have plant growth, etc. Hand catching is very simple and would have probably saved your drone. I would caution you to be careful and be aware that the props can do significant damage to your hand if you miss. When the drone senses that it is no longer descending and roughly stationary, the motors will automatically slow down.

by the way, did you try to hit the RTH button before it landed? Usually, when returning home, pressing the RTH button the second time will cause the drone to stop and hover where it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff watson

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl