Can anyone explain these cloud shadow movements?

Reaction score
So I took a video over the weekend at my brother's house. I'm noticing in the video that the cloud shadows are moving across the ground in a stuttering movement. It's actually quite odd considering how smooth the video is. Not sure if it is an effect caused my the trees or what. Fast forward to about 2:27 minutes in, where the effect is really noticeable. Watch the ground as I am going towards the barn.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maybe the combination of the refresh rate of the camera's CMOS and the fact that the edges of the cloud formations are transitioning from translucent to opaque while the cloud shadow itself is moving across the ground at a fairly rapid rate? Maybe the CMOS can't keep up with processing the constant changing of the illuminance values of the edges of that type of a moving image? I dunno... just thinking out loud (or, should I say, "at the keyboard"?)

I think that it is likely to be a compression artifact, and related to the banding sometimes seen in color gradients in JPEG images. The edges of the cloud shadows are not sharp, but rather lightness gradients overlaid on the terrain. As the shadow location moves (smoothly) the compression algorithm is likely only be recoding the bits when the change at any one bit exceeds a certain threshold, which looks like it is not every frame - hence the obvious jumps.

I think that it is likely to be a compression artifact, and related to the banding sometimes seen in color gradients in JPEG images. The edges of the cloud shadows are not sharp, but rather lightness gradients overlaid on the terrain. As the shadow location moves (smoothly) the compression algorithm is likely only be recoding the bits when the change at any one bit exceeds a certain threshold, which looks like it is not every frame - hence the obvious jumps.
Yeah... that's what I was trying to say in my own post (sort of)! Trouble is I was trying to do it at about 20 minutes to one in the morning - not the best time to ask your brain to think clearly! Obviously a brain works better after good night's sleep!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic