Can a tablet be used without the tablet being used as a phone?

Reaction score
In other words, could I buy a tablet for it's size and use it as a dedicated P4P screen without turning it into a phone or whatever the other reasons for getting one? Thanks....Ken.

Sure can....anyything with Wi-Fi will do, as long as it is a compatible device with the app. As long as it has enough ram and processor speed.

Any device you're hooking up is being used as a screen. They biggest difference is that some devices have a GPS unit in them while others don't, based on if it's a WiFi-only vs LTE model.

Any device you're hooking up is being used as a screen. They biggest difference is that some devices have a GPS unit in them while others don't, based on if it's a WiFi-only vs LTE model.
That only applies to iPads.
Almost all Android tablets have GPS built-in.
But that's a trivial issue anyway and there's very little use for GPS in your tablet when flying.

Reactions: Phill2
In other words, could I buy a tablet for it's size and use it as a dedicated P4P screen without turning it into a phone or whatever the other reasons for getting one? Thanks....Ken.
You could buy a tablet
No need for cell connection ability.
Wifi tablets work perfectly.
But the app is very demanding.
You need to get a tablet with a fast enough processor and enough RAM to run the DJI Go4 app properly.

I think I understand the need for the wifi but what part does that play since my smart phone is attached to the controller with a USB cable?

I think I understand the need for the wifi but what part does that play since my smart phone is attached to the controller with a USB cable?
Nothing for flying.
You can use wifi back home for software updates, map caching etc but when you are flying you could turn it off and it would make no difference.

I believe I have it. Things like enabling intelligent flight as in waypoints, reading battery charge, seeing the drone position on the map and viewing the drone's camera, all is coming through the USB correction, correct?

seeing the drone position on the map
Except for this particular item, you are correct. To see the maps, you either need to pre-cache them to your tablet while connected to wi-fi , or you will need to be connected to wi-fi or cellular during flight. Pre-caching the maps is easy, and if you do that you will have map view with wi-fi turned off and no need for cellular.

Reactions: jagman08
Thanks to all. I'm looking at a Galaxy Tab E 9.6". It's about 6" wide so it should fit in the controller's clamp. The larger the better so I can view it without my reading glasses.

Reactions: Hounddog
I'm looking at a Galaxy Tab E 9.6"
Just a note on that. Look for as much RAM as you can get. The specs for this model indicate ony 1.5MB of RAM. You really need at least 2MB minimum for GO4 to run efficiently without lag. 1.5M struggles with GO.

If you're going to buy a device, you might want to look at getting an Ipad, they pretty much work where it's hit and miss on what android device will work well. I've used android phones and tablets also a Crystal Sky and have had mixed results whereas the iPhones and Ipads unless there old work good.

I've looked at the ipads as well, a bit pricey though. What about an Amazon Fire HD 10? It has 2GB ram, good size and price. Don't know if GO4 can be installed but would think it can.

What about an Amazon Fire HD 10?
Amazon, Verizon etc...tablets don't work well for this from what I have seen. You might want to look at either the Samsung S2,S3 series or possiby the Huawei series tabs.

Again, thanks for the info. I'll give those a look.

I've looked at the ipads as well, a bit pricey though. What about an Amazon Fire HD 10? It has 2GB ram, good size and price. Don't know if GO4 can be installed but would think it can.

I wouldn't throw $150 at a Fire tablet for flying, too proprietary... no access to Google Play unless you root it, OS is a heavily modified Android fork, and on my Fire 7 the USB port wouldn't act right.

I'm really happy with this Huawei Mediapad M3 8.4 and have read of others having luck with the less expensive T3

I got you, looks like the Fire is overall, a no go.

If you're asking if you need service, I don't think so. I inherited my wife's old iPad, it's not subscribed to anything anymore, and it works fine with my P3A.

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 made in 2016. It is just a wi-fi tablet not a phone. It has the Android 5.1.1 operating system. I have the DJI Go 4 app installed and it will connect to my Mavic 2 Pro but it will not transmit the camera view to the screen. Everything else seems to show up on its screen. But I don't use it because of this. When I use my phone, (Samsung Galaxy S8, everything works fine.

Reactions: Hounddog

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic