Can a battery operated wifi repeater be used with p3 adv/pro

Reaction score
I can regularly get out fair distances, but was wondering if a battery operated wifi repeater
Can be placed out in the paddock when I look for cattle to extend the flying and fpv range.

Imagine a box with a dot in the middle.

Box represents paddock, dot represents wifi reapeater.

Another dot at the edge of box represents me wth rc.

Will this work?

Thanks.

Are you able to view RC signals on any std receiver?

I can regularly get out fair distances, but was wondering if a battery operated wifi repeater
Can be placed out in the paddock when I look for cattle to extend the flying and fpv range.

Imagine a box with a dot in the middle.

Box represents paddock, dot represents wifi reapeater.

Another dot at the edge of box represents me wth rc.

Will this work?

Thanks.

Why is it needed? A stock P3 will go as far as its battery limit, about 4-5 miles out and back. If you're looking at cattle then figure 2-3 miles to give you time to stop and look around if needed then come back. In all honesty a wifi repeater wouldn't be needed to get that range.

Aren't we dealing with @dji Lightbridge technology?
That wifi system may benefit a Phantom Standard.

RedHotPoker

Surley if you need to extend range beyond the spec, then you are playing directly into the hands of critics of Drones. Then just around the next corner will be a blanket ban on our hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why do they push the boundaries?
image.jpeg

If they can, then they will. ;-)
Human nature, compelling.

RedHotPoker

Surley if you need to extend range beyond the spec, then you are playing directly into the hands of critics of Drones. Then just around the next corner will be a blanket ban on our hobby.

The 'don't fly out of sight' , 'don't go beyond the specs' rules do not apply to me.
I live in the middle of my own 80,000 acres (123 square miles) of land that is a working cattle station, the nearest neighbor is 25 miles away.

This drone is a work tool, maxed out with battery mods, fpvlr v2 range booster and marco polo.

The reason I want to try what the title says is that there are trees here
( eucalyptus ) that will hinder signal, so it's not so much a matter of distance (although it's helpful) it's more of a matter of clear signal.

Ok, do, let's assume you achieve what you want on your 80.000 acres. Then you post how you did it. Then some bright spark who is not lucky to live in the middle of 80.000 acres does it. Eg he lives in the middle of a city or town. In the process breaking every rule that exists. What then. Best thing you can do is get yourself a copter licence and fly the real thing.

Grenville, sorry to say buddy.....but 90 % of the people here want to modify the **** out of our quads , fly for 10 miles and do it for 60 min. I'm just waiting to buy a p4 battery and hack that mofo in half!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well you do know that the Quad itself does not use Wifi... nor do your cattle use Wifi...

The Quad/RC uses radio signals... so your question is asked wrong... but there is an easy way for you to get what you want....

here is what you would need.. EzUHF 500mW Transmitter - ImmersionRC Limited

but you will have to build your quad from component level items... DJI has all the required component level items...
and you will need to utilize a standard RC type Radio...

The 500mw transmitters became normal equipment with a couple guys that go by the name of Team Blacksheep...If I remember correctly they were getting around 50 mile ranges...

Here's an example of some of their work...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I think they utilize both Quad and Fixed Wing now days....

The Quad/RC uses radio signals... so your question is asked wrong... but there is an easy way for you to get what you want....

It uses a proprietary OFDM based protocol called Lightbridge. The uplink is muxed with the downlink. So you can't use Ez UHF. Or Wi-Fi. Or anything other than Lightbridge. And there is no such thing as a Lightbridge repeater so this whole debate is moot.

Maybe someone clever will be able to recreate the protocol but I know of nothing at this point.

you don't use DJI camera or video processing... don't even have to have light bridge.... I have three Quads and one Octo that handles it fine... how do you think the video feedback gets done when BlackSheep go out and fly... the Quad you end up with won't be a Phantom.... you have to build a different quad from components.... DJI makes/sells most of what you need.... believe it or not there at one time was several different versions of aircraft that DJI sold before any phantom existed... the phantom is just what DJI learned from the early days... you won't see a phantom carry a RED ever.... but Quads purpose built do it nicely... A phantom is a expensive toy...

you don't use DJI camera or video processing... don't even have to have light bridge.... I have three Quads and one Octo that handles it fine... how do you think the video feedback gets done when BlackSheep go out and fly... the Quad you end up with won't be a Phantom.... you have to build a different quad from components.... DJI makes/sells most of what you need.... believe it or not there at one time was several different versions of aircraft that DJI sold before any phantom existed... the phantom is just what DJI learned from the early days... you won't see a phantom carry a RED ever.... but Quads purpose built do it nicely... A phantom is a expensive toy...
Thanks dixter,
This is very helpful infomation, looks like a quad building project might be in the pipeline.

Go big or go home, hahaha
Yes, strap a $60,000 camera on your DIY drone and take off, eh? ;-)
This would be one of my toys/tools. Hehe

RedHotPoker

get a hold of the Team Black Sheep guys... they know all the tricks to get you there... one of the advantages to a fixed wing solution is they use fold back props and let the wing
fly without using the battery... that extentd the range... With a Quad you don't have the luxury of being able to soar... you have to keep the motors running... I have one bird
that uses four 5.8 5800 batts... you have to build your own power grid to handle that kind of current.... if you are interested most of those guys hang out over in the multirotor forums site.. MultiRotorForums.com

Go big or go home, hahaha
Yes, strap a $60,000 camera on your DIY drone and take off, eh? ;-)
This would be one of my toys/tools. Hehe

RedHotPoker
Very Nice.. I'm a real fan of Opposed Coaxial.... thanks for showing us that setup... cool beans

If you go to custom build, you're resolution will be nowhere near as good as the P3. Not good if you want to use it to identify objects on the ground. You're going from 720p to 480i. And that 480i is analog and will not be nearly as clear as a digital transmission.

I would consider instead using some of the booster options for the P3 like FPVLR. You'll be in the air faster and it should get you the range you need and in HD. If that's not working, you need to raise yourself (or just the antennas) up in the air. Get to the highest vantage point you can. Your range will increase dramatically.

Very Nice.. I'm a real fan of Opposed Coaxial.... thanks for showing us that setup... cool beans
Yes, coaxial rotors can be good, very good... ;-)
Oh and look, awesome Zoom capabilities, we all desire as well. Hahaha
I do Wish I could launch my Phantom3 Pro' like that too...

RedHotPoker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.