Camera settings mistake

I've always found the noise to be introduced at a low ISO (below 1000) on the P3. I don't really get noise in my photos on my DSLR because I use brighlty lit scenarios or have a longer shutter speed with 100 ISO. Still some but easily fixed.

BTW have you tried Dfine from the Nik Collection? I've not yet, I actually forgot I had it but Nik collection is a free suite from Google if you're unaware of what it is. Silver Efex etc is included in the bundle and Google made it free. It was originally in the hundreds to purchase it and is plug-ins for PS. It's one of the higher rated ones out there.

Google Nik Collection
I will have to try that one. Do you think it is a good place to start learning, or should I jump right into something like an Adobe product?

Just read the details, it is an Adobe plugin. Answers my question.

Last edited:
I will have to try that one. Do you think it is a good place to start learning, or should I jump right into something like an Adobe product?

Not sure it can be used as a lone product TBH. I think it could be only a plug-in for Photoshop and possibly others but I could be wrong. I only use them in Photoshop.

If you want an Adobe product you can do the free trial for the one you want and then decide if you want to buy it. LightRoom is the easiest to get to grips with and you can use that instead of Photoshop but read the pros and cons of both and decide for yourself.

There is something called Photoshop express which is free to use, at least it used to be. I know others have tried GIMP too.

I've just found a good list of free programs and it contains info about the ones I've just mentioned too. :)

Best free photo editing software

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

DJI_0007.jpg
Here is my edit, when shooting in DNG, don't forget to use DJI's DNG cleaner utility.

Not sure it can be used as a lone product TBH. I think it could be only a plug-in for Photoshop and possibly others but I could be wrong. I only use them in Photoshop.

If you want an Adobe product you can do the free trial for the one you want and then decide if you want to buy it. LightRoom is the easiest to get to grips with and you can use that instead of Photoshop but read the pros and cons of both and decide for yourself.

There is something called Photoshop express which is free to use, at least it used to be. I know others have tried GIMP too.

I've just found a good list of free programs and it contains info about the ones I've just mentioned too. :)

Best free photo editing software

I will check the list out tonight. I am not sure at this point, looking at the Adobe pricing. It's $10 for Photo processing and $20 if I want video processing, another $20 and I would get all Adobe tools.
Then I just have to hit the library and read all the books. Would rather by flying!!

Here's my effort. I like to keep it natural. It's quite noisy and the lens looks like it was dirty in the top edges? Either that or it's the clouds haha. One thing I thought weird about this image is there's no street lights but it looks dark? Street lights in the UK would well have been on before that time of the day haha.

Looks duller on this forum for some reason. Add in more saturation and that's it haha.

DJI_0007.jpg

Here's my effort. I like to keep it natural. It's quite noisy and the lens looks like it was dirty in the top edges? Either that or it's the clouds haha. One thing I thought weird about this image is there's no street lights but it looks dark? Street lights in the UK would well have been on before that time of the day haha.

Looks duller on this forum for some reason. Add in more saturation and that's it haha.

View attachment 53476
A dirty lens is possible. I had the DJI-ND16 filter on the last time I was able to fly for video in the sunlight. It was removed for these evening shots ,could have put my mits on it. I selected this pic because of the jet in frame. I took 39 shots while the sun was setting, all the while playing with the settings for different looks. Unfortunately some need to be cropped as a large building came into frame as I moved around in some.

to answer your comment in the middle of thread; 4:3 is kind of obsolete - but only in video filming. with most tv units sized in HD format 16:9 you should film HD video in 16:9.
additionally - if you plan to edit your videos for optimal colour, tone, etc. - you should set LOG mode for video, which gives you a lower contrast, softer video. it contains more detail than high contrasted regular mode, and you can edit it easier and better later on. use regular mode if you DON'T oplan editing it in video editing software.

and shoot photographs always in 4:3 - which is FULL sensor utilized. the sensor in this camera is tiny anyway, so maximize it. Additionally, when you shoot in difficult lighting - like that sunset - where half part is very bright, bottom part is dark - you can shoot in Bracketing mode. What I do is i shoot (always in DNG, jpg on this small sensor is usually waste of time) 3 or 5 frames. so, stop your drone in one spot and shoot bracketing sequence.
Bracketing gives you a burst of images which are; 1 image exposed properly, other images gradually underexposed, and overexposed.

Then edit DNG files without going to hype things too much, just slight corrections to enhance them. and then run these images in a good HDR software. HDR software will use best parts of all images to combine into one - more perfect image with higher dynamic range. so you will see details in highlights and in dark shadow area too.

if you know what you do in HDR, you can easily avoud that artificial look commonly seen, but you can still bering more vibrance and detail from your images.

by the way, i don't use mode available on P3 app called HDR, as I understand it shoots in JPG (not DNG) which almost always leads to lower quality final image, if shooting in not optimal lighting conditions.

This bracketing edit takes a bit of time, so i would do it when i really need good photos. but it makes huge difference. HDR sometimes causes side effect of increasted noise, but then NIK d-fine makes fantastic job of eliminating it from your final image. Best of luck.
Derek

PS. on my site I have some of aerials done that way.
www.artphotographyservices.com

I think this shot should be either 2/3 ground or 2/3 sky. the half and half disturbs me.
you are totally right, i just think attractively composing images is another chapter. one of many to turn a snapshot into fantastic photos. we could go on and on what to do to create a masterpiece... :)

Reactions: sonof40
Thanks for the input. As someone who has not done photography or flying before my P3A, learning all this makes my head spin sometimes. But I love the learning!
Makes sense on the video (4:3) thing, must have been on the subject of video and I pulled into photos mistakenly. I have been capturing all the good advice from this forum and pasting it into Word doc for future reference.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Same boat here, no flying/photography experience before about 2 weeks ago.. So lots to learn ! This forum has been a big help, along with YouTube videos explaining how to use (Adobe in my case) software.. Here's where I'm up to..
d5aca7ec54eaa343806c7144bff016c3.jpg

First image, similar situation.. I changed the exposure and made a mask for the sky so I could work on it separately. Changed exposure, played with vibrancy, hue etc to get image 2..
e206c904e3f95c9e73554c5f44b95749.jpg

Overdid the ground a little bit I wanted to pick up the running track etc..
871652d817f79d0a37195997dc9f665d.jpg

Changing the sunset is just a few sliders away after that.
Onwards and upwards, loving all the tips & advice [emoji106][emoji3]

Just saw this post and take look-see at this one for you. (Picture was too large to upload)

DJI_0007 Enhanced.jpg
This one is nice as well. I have now purchased the full Adobe suite to work with. It is time to jump in and start the learning. Youtube here I come! I have so many from the group here to compare when I take a crack at it myself. Never thought I would get so much feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav