Votes: 3 11.1%
  • They laughed at me

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • They asked for personal information

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • They told me to call someone else

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
I want to thank all the contributors, and I'm pleased with the answers. I would suggest that for those who only get answering machines when they try to call the airport operators and control towers, that you leave your FAA number, the maximum altitude you plan to fly (and keep it no higher than 400'), the general location of where and how far you are flying, the time you plan on starting and the duration of your flight on the recording. That's about the best you can do.

For those of you who may have found conflicts with FAA regulations or recommendations. This is very common among federal agencies. I'm a government contractor and there is no end of conflicts that drive suppliers and contractors crazy. All we can do is the best we can and be as safe as we can.

So good luck to all of you.

I forgot in my own post and your post reminded me of this. I was also asked my mobile number, which I also shared on each voice mail I left.

This is just in case they need to contact you to cancel your flight, change location, fly at a different altitude, etc. The one time I did get them they examined the flight paths going on during my window and verified traffic was not flying over my vicinity. He also mentioned that 400ft could pose a problem it the path was going that way that day.

Santa Claus came through and a new P4 was under the tree yesterday. Hooray! For the past month I've been doing my "homework" which included looking at every video I could find twice, reading the online owner's manual twice, registering the unit, charging everything, and spent much of yesterday on flight simulations. So, figuring that I am ready to test fly in an opening in my yard today, I just called the nearest FAA ATCT to my flying site. A voice answered, I informed the gentlemen why I was calling and he replied, "Keep it low. I don't want to hear about it." and he promptly hung up on me. So, we're off to the wild blue yonder (in beginner's mode) in about an hour - just as soon as the grass dries.

Reactions: cfd701
Hey fellow pilots!

Glad I found this thread. I'm here in NC and there are definitely quite a few small private airports around. Just received mine for the holidays as well and made my first calls this morning to the two within my 5 mile radius. Had to leave a message but neither of these even have a tower so I'd be surprised if they call back. I did leave my Lat/Long and Cell number as a courtesy. I guess I can assume if I don't hear back that it's safe to fly according to the FAA rules?

I'm looking forward to becoming a responsible owner and have done a lot of reading already.

-Matt

Sounds like you have done what is required to fly in your area by notifications. As long as you are registered and have your FAA number on your bird you are good to go. Just be sure to follow the rules, and overall FLY SAFE and HAVE FUN !

If you are not sure of anything, or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask if you can't find the answers in the Forum.

Welcome Matt F. to PhantomPilots! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Sounds like you have done what is required to fly in your area by notifications. As long as you are registered and have your FAA number on your bird you are good to go. Just be sure to follow the rules, and overall FLY SAFE and HAVE FUN !

If you are not sure of anything, or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask if you can't find the answers in the Forum.

Welcome Matt F. to PhantomPilots! [emoji41]

Thanks! Yes, registration was the first thing I did. Printed out the number on a transparent address label and stuck it on there. Actually worked out well. :) Flew it after lunch for about 20 minutes and took it up to about 200ft. I have about an acre of land so it gave me some room to maneuver.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I live within 5 miles of two airports.

Palo Alto - KPAO
Moffett Field - KNUQ

I'm closer to Moffett Field by a mile or so.

I got my drone for Christmas and gave both towers a call.

Both have always been friendly. But the response is still strange to me.

Palo Alto told me to just call Moffett Field since I was closer to Moffett. The person on the phone thanked me for calling and said "we support what you do" whatever that means. They took my name, and address but said I didn't need to call them as long as I call Moffett and keep it below 400ft.

Easy enough I guess.

Moffett Field's response was a little more confusing and vague. Moffett first took my name, address and phone number then asked me how high I'd be flying. I told them I'd keep it below 400ft.

Moffett Field said that would be fine. I asked the guy at Moffett if I had the right number to call each time I was going to fly from my house. The number I called was the airport manager's number. The guy at the tower gave me the tower's direct number instead.

I asked, just for clarification of what is expected, "OK, so I just call this number each time I want to fly in front of my house to let you guys know?"

"Only if you fly above 150ft.. or you could just send an email." was his reply.

I was happy to hear of an electronic way to submit so I ask "Oh great. So I can just send an email each time I plan to fly in front of my home?"

"If you want." was his reply.

I've called each time since just because I want to be compliant. Each time the person who answers the phone doesn't really seem to know what to do with my information.

At no time has anyone ever been rude or unfriendly. They've always thanked me for the call. No one has ever told me I couldn't actually fly my drone.

It's pretty silly of the FAA to put regulations in place which, to me, feel totally pointless. The towers doesn't seem to care.

Last edited:
Believe me, they care. As an ATP for over 30 years I've dealt with them almost daily, and they are the most calm individuals you will ever meet. Their calm demeanor is an asset to the fast paced and precise work that they do. Have very rarely heard any of them get excited over the radio, and even then, they only talk louder when they do need to convey a message or instructions.

I'd hate to play poker with any of them.

Just remember that all this drone notification stuff is new to them too, and many are dealing with it on a limited basis. But, it's good to hear you are getting a positive response in your area. As long as we can share the sky safely, there should be no issues.

Fly Safe ! [emoji106]

Last edited:
Good point. Could be partially their demeanor. However the actual answers are vague at times.

Regardless, I'll continue to call. I imagine, eventually, this will become an automated process. The app will notify the tower/FAA when you start a flight. If they get enough calls they'll have to figure out a better way to handle the volume.

Pardon my lack of knowledge: What is an ATP?

Good point. Could be partially their demeanor. However the actual answers are vague at times.

Regardless, I'll continue to call. I imagine, eventually, this will become an automated process. The app will notify the tower/FAA when you start a flight. If they get enough calls they'll have to figure out a better way to handle the volume.

Pardon my lack of knowledge: What is an ATP?

Airline Transport Pilot

I am starting this thread only because I want to know what the responses from the flight industry is. I hijacked another thread with these questions/comments and apologize for doing so. My home is within three zones (one airport and two healthcare helipads) and I have yet to fly from home and notifying the airports.
I googled my city name and air traffic controller.A guy answered right away and was nice about it.Im within five of an airport and in a mess of heliports for hospitals-He told me to stay below 400 ft and keep the drone in line of sight.It was so easy i kept asking questions just to be sure I wouldn't be in any trouble.Thay didnt even want my registration number-said unless i crash its useless.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
With the numbers of sUAS given this Christmas (literally millions) and at least most of us wanting to be responsible pilots, I can't believe it won't be too long before the FAA puts out rules specifically for us hobbyists where we can fly in our back yard below treetop level without involving ATC. My ex-wife was a navy ATC. She really didn't have a lot of spare time to answer the phone and log in a 20 minute drone flight at 15 feet in some guys backyard 5 miles away. BUT it will take only one Nimrod to ground us all.
Fly safe!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31