California introduces bill for further identification on drones

Reaction score
Stumbled across the following today building up a collection of Legal docs in case I am ever confronted while flying. Technically, the "Follow-Me" features of the Drones and the new Phantom 4 fall under this guideline.

[EDIT/UPDATE] Section 39101a is clear it does not apply to "Modle Aircraft"

Bill Text - AB-1724 Unmanned aircraft: identification requirements.

For the purposes of this division, both of the following definitions shall apply:
(a) “Unmanned aircraft” means an aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.
(b) “Model aircraft” means an unmanned aircraft that is all of the following:
(1) Capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere.
(2) Flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.
(3) Flown strictly for hobby or recreational purposes.
(4) Does not weigh more than 55 pounds.​

(a) Beginning January 1, 2017, a person or public or private entity that owns or operates an unmanned aircraft that is not a model aircraft within this state shall do any of the following:
(1) Legibly and permanently affix, stamp, or mark on the unmanned aircraft, in a size that can be read by the naked eye without the use of magnification, identifying information that indicates each of the following:
(A) The name of the owner of the unmanned aircraft.
(B) The residential or business address of the owner of the unmanned aircraft.
(C) The telephone number of the owner of the unmanned aircraft.
(2) Store the information specified in paragraph (1) in a digital format on the unmanned aircraft. The digital information shall be stored in a manner that is readily accessible and retrievable.
(3) Legibly and permanently affix, stamp, or mark on the unmanned aircraft, in a size that can be read by the naked eye without the use of magnification, an address for an active Internet Web site that lists the information specified in paragraph (1).​
(b) If a person or public or private entity that owns or operates an unmanned aircraft affixes, stamps, or marks on the unmanned aircraft pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (a), the person or public or private entity shall do so in a way that does not modify or confuse the nationality or registration marks required by the Federal Aviation Administration.

A person or public or private entity that violates the provisions of Section 39101 shall be liable for a civil fine not to exceed two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500). A proceeding to recover the civil fines specified in this section may be brought in any court of competent jurisdiction by the Attorney General, a district attorney, county counsel, or a city attorney. Revenue from any fines collected pursuant to this section shall be deposited into the general fund for the city, county, or city and county, that brought the case, or, if brought by the Attorney General, the General Fund of this state.

This division is not intended to conflict with or supersede federal law, including rules and regulations of the Federal Aviation Administration.

Last edited:
Ok so it seems for commercial Ops only, not hobby/recreation.

Reactions: PJHoward
Don't see any indication of commercial only. Surprised they don't have to add that flying model aircraft may cause cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Stumbled across the following today building up a collection of Legal docs in case I am ever confronted while flying. Technically, the "Follow-Me" features of the Drones and the new Phantom 4 fall under this guideline.

Bill Text - AB-1724 Unmanned aircraft: identification requirements.

For the purposes of this division, both of the following definitions shall apply:
(a) “Unmanned aircraft” means an aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.

Why would you think all DJI drones would not fall under this bill? None of them can carry a person.

(3) Legibly and permanently affix, stamp, or mark on the unmanned aircraft, in a size that can be read by the naked eye without the use of magnification, an address for an active Internet Web site that lists the information specified in paragraph (1).

Is this bill #4 that they have tried to pass? When will these idiots move on...

I say just add, "faa.gov" and be done with it.

Don't see any indication of commercial only. Surprised they don't have to add that flying model aircraft may cause cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Read 39100(b)(3).

Read 39101(a).

If your operating as hobby or recreation you don't need to comply with 39101.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic