CALIFORNIA COAST (HIGHWAY 1 & BIG SUR) - PART 1 | DroneOnJohn

Which part of the video was the most engaging?

• Lighthouse shots.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bridge shots.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Wildfire shot at the end.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Excellent video and editing. Very professional. Thanks for sharing. I have to admit I was holding my breath a bit passing through the wires/cables under the bridge. Great job!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Excellent video and editing. Very professional. Thanks for sharing. I have to admit I was holding my breath a bit passing through the wires/cables under the bridge. Great job!

Thank you very much! Yes I was holding my breath too! I took a minute to line it up the best I could and went for it!

Stay tuned for Part 2! :)

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Great job as always.....and no scary wires or cables this time! Yep, that's definitely Cali. Nothing like that here in Florida. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for watching!

This footage was a little less nerve-wracking to capture. Under bridges are always a little tense!

Florida is beautiful in its own right though (beautiful beaches, clear blue water, and U.S. 1 to Key West)! Hopefully get to shoot there in the future!

[emoji106][emoji106] I always enjoy your vids. Question - I've always wondered the best cruising speed when doing cinematic shots like yours. I'm sure it will vary from shot to shot and altitude. What have you found the best speed?

Very cool shots. Just as a heads up, as I learned it after the fact as well, I believe good portion of the flight in that area could be no-fly zones due to environmentally protected by FAA

http://montereybay.noaa.gov/materials/maps/overflight1_lg.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I actually chatted with a CHP officer before I flew to verify that it was okay and he said it was fine outside of a couple areas in Big Sur (that were protected for the Elephant Seals). I made sure I steered clear of those areas.

But according to the map you posted, looks like the whole area is a NFZ.

Wish there were a little more consistency.

[emoji106][emoji106] I always enjoy your vids. Question - I've always wondered the best cruising speed when doing cinematic shots like yours. I'm sure it will vary from shot to shot and altitude. What have you found the best speed?

Thanks so much, glad you enjoy them!

The altitude does vary greatly depending on what kind of shot you want to get. I've found a nice variety of altitudes makes a more interesting video IMHO.

As for speed, I usually fly anywhere from 10-17mph in P mode when I'm shooting. For landscape shots, that is all I've needed.

You can always speed it up in post to make a shot more interesting.

Just my 2 cents!

Very cool shots. Just as a heads up, as I learned it after the fact as well, I believe good portion of the flight in that area could be no-fly zones due to environmentally protected by FAA

http://montereybay.noaa.gov/materials/maps/overflight1_lg.jpg
Are Phantoms considered "Motorized Aircraft"? With flights prohibited under 1,000' and the word "motorized"'seems to suggest actual gas engine aircraft. But I'm just surmising here.
A friend and I flew around Bixby Bridge also in March and the app I use - Hover- didn't show that area as off limits.

Thanks so much, glad you enjoy them!

The altitude does vary greatly depending on what kind of shot you want to get. I've found a nice variety of altitudes makes a more interesting video IMHO.

As for speed, I usually fly anywhere from 10-17mph in P mode when I'm shooting. For landscape shots, that is all I've needed.

You can always speed it up in post to make a shot more interesting.

Just my 2 cents!
John- your flying and editing skills are excellent. As a primarily still shooter I'm still working on the smooth panning and transitions. You have it down.
The first video seems slightly hot (exposure) to me and the saturation & contrast could be improved- but still way good.
The second part seems to have better expsoure, sat & contrast overall.
Really nice job.
Here's one of my stills from March- you had much nicer light!
image.jpeg

Are Phantoms considered "Motorized Aircraft"? With flights prohibited under 1,000' and the word "motorized"'seems to suggest actual gas engine aircraft. But I'm just surmising here.
A friend and I flew around Bixby Bridge also in March and the app I use - Hover- didn't show that area as off limits.

Yes a phantom is considered a motorized aircraft. Per this link, it clearly applies to all drones as well.
MBNMS Resource Issues: Aircraft, Model Aircraft, & Drones

I flew around the same area as well, but did get a notification about Class E airspace right as I took off. The ban is supposed to protect the wildlife, and I have not heard of anyone getting in legal trouble yet, but just wanted to give the heads up.

Yes a phantom is considered a motorized aircraft. Per this link, it clearly applies to all drones as well.
MBNMS Resource Issues: Aircraft, Model Aircraft, & Drones

I flew around the same area as well, but did get a notification about Class E airspace right as I took off. The ban is supposed to protect the wildlife, and I have not heard of anyone getting in legal trouble yet, but just wanted to give the heads up.

Always good to have a heads up, I'm just glad there happened to be a police officer around so I could check with him first. When in doubt, I just ask.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31