Calibrating your Phantom 3

Reaction score
I always calibrate before each flight/anywhere i want to fly i calibrate first . Even when i change battery i calibrate.
Is there anything wrong with that?

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
PhantomHelp.com
Reaction score
compass.jpg

-- = Magnet-O-Meter Metal Detector =--
Or
--+ 3D Compass and Magnetometer +--

Tools to measure the strength of magnetic fields. explore and measure the direction and strength of the magnetic field of random objects around you.

ANDROID APPS IN THE ANDROID STORE

============================================
MUI
Calibrating your MUI in the field can lead to problems, you need a level surface.
I would not suggest doing so.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When u eventually get around to using my P3 Pro I'm going to do the MUI the way I saw a guy on YouTube do it as it's quite warm here in the UK

Car running with aircon on as its a dry cold air, leave the P3 in there for 10 mins to cool right down, then straight onto a level surface and calibrate is the way he did it lets hope it works :)

Reaction score
I have had my best luck when I calibrate my compass before any flight that my start position has changed by >1 mile. I would suggest you take the time to do this since is is so easy. It adds another level of trust in the P3P.

Reactions: bobmyers
Reaction score
In the app, does it tell you when you need to calibrate? Or is the only indication when you get the flashing green/yellow? Does the green/yellow only mean you need to calibrate the compass?

Reaction score
And here I always thought it was IMU, gee. Calibrating the compass every flight is NOT a good idea, you are just increasing the odds of a bad calibration. Once i have a good calibration I do not do another unless I move >100 miles or do a firmware update, and guess what, I have NEVER had a problem, the app will tell you if there is a compass error (like the time I sat it on a comm box to change the battery) then just move it to another area without interference. People really over think this. I use the 'SensorKinetics' app to measure the magnetic field in the takeoff area to insure there is not enough interference to affect the bird.

Last edited:
Reactions: snerd

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V8starlet