Cache map

Reaction score
Can maps be cached via Google maps, or do maps only cache for availability within the go app?

cached only in the go app.

You can cache maps in Google maps on Android devices. For Apple devices, you must do it in DJI GO.

Reactions: JickMagger
Thanks for the reply. I lost track of this thread I stared, lol.

You can cache maps in Google maps on Android devices. For Apple devices, you must do it in DJI GO.

How do you make the dji go app use the cached maps on android? Today I saved an offline area in google maps. When I went flying in that area the map in the dji go app was blank.

I have the same issue as wbynum. The map is cached OK in Google Maps but DJI GO will now not load the cached map. I can browse the map with Google Maps when my Samsung Tab S 8.4 is offline, so I know that the map s definitely cached on the device.

Flying with the cached map from Google Maps used to work just fine; but not now.

Any suggestions?

Flyingoak, are the maps available if you cache them in the DJI GO app?

I found it hit and miss for a while, you can also cache by viewing the area in the GoApp, but the annoying thing is it won't reliably go to the camera view and map screen unless connected to the phantom - which is quite inconvenient!
There has been a subtle change - probably unintentional.

I found it hit and miss for a while, you can also cache by viewing the area in the GoApp, but the annoying thing is it won't reliably go to the camera view and map screen unless connected to the phantom - which is quite inconvenient!
There has been a subtle change - probably unintentional.

I agree with your comments about GO and that something has changed. But it's hard to see what.

My 'phone & tablet are both on GO 2.4.0, the tablet is on the current (?) version of Google Maps 9.19.1 but the version on the 'phone is ancient - 9.9.0. Both used to work well with the Google Maps cache, but neither do now.

Weird.

Does anyone know how to force the GO app to clear its map cache?

Any way to clear cache on IOS devices or is it just one more of things that Apple hides because we are too dumb to understand.

I believe if you restart the device it clears cache, but not entirely certain.

How to Use Your Google Maps — Offline

This seems to work but not sure how long the download/cache is retained.
View in google maps, say "OK Maps" and it will offer to download and save a quite large area.
You can then open DJI Go and it can access and zoom in even though you only viewed the wide area.

Not sure how Apple deal with mapping

We recently added a way to create your own offline 3D maps. It works exactly like Google Maps offline feature except it provides you with 3D data (like elevation for all of US and building/objects for many parts of the US).

(right now it's Android only for any DJI Phantom / Inspire drone)

full

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl