Bye bye phantom. It was fun :(

Kind of yeah. By law you can't fly higher than 400ft.

That chimney is 660 ft
With a spotter you can fly upto 1000ft
Also looks like the signal could have been blocked by the chimney, all that steel in it, you woul have been better at the other side of it
No comments about whether you should have been flying there

With a spotter you can fly upto 1000ft

Hello
Without knowing where you are in the world I could be wrong, but this is NOT legally (vs AC capability) true, assuming you are referring to AGL (above ground). 400ft is typical for many countries, Canada is lower. At 1000ft one is potentially risking manned flights.

Edit: unless you meant one can fly 400 ft over a structure, and since this particular tower is 660, I understand one can indeed legally in US (not elsewhere necessarily) fly over 1000ft AGL to pass over tower, and only whilst near that structure (exactly how close I momentarily forget)

Last edited:
Ah. Thanks for that. I'm just glad I bought the equipment that does it. More by luck than judgement.

Main thing is - it worked.:)

Fair enough. For most folk tracking Home point is largely optional as unless pilot is moving, home point doesn't change from take off point. Exceptions include say flying off a moving boat - the home point is no longer the take-off point (although even in that situation, changing RTH action to 'hover' rather than 'go home' on signal loss is enough.

Hello
Without knowing where you are in the world I could be wrong, but this is NOT legally (vs AC capability) true, assuming you are referring to AGL (above ground). 400ft is typical for many countries, Canada is lower. At 1000ft one is potentially risking manned flights.

Edit: unless you meant one can fly 400 ft over a structure, and since this particular tower is 660, I understand one can indeed legally in US (not elsewhere necessarily) fly over 1000ft AGL to pass over tower, and only whilst near that structure (exactly how close I momentarily forget)

In the uk the bmfa and fpv uk groups have gained an exemption from the caa that, with a spotter you can reach 1000ft from your take off point, not up a 600ft hill and maintain 400ft, 1000ft vertically up

Obviously the other conditions still apply, los, not over people etc., but common sense prevails in certain aspects

Thanks - appreciate the correction and info. Wow that's high for recreation flying (not objecting, just surprised).

Tbh its not high, in the gliding comps they fly 1500ft+, mind you their eyesight is much better than mine, at 1000ft i can just make out the shape, as long as its going in the direction im making it im ok

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164