Bye bye phantom. It was fun :(

so lost signal tonight, and the app was disconnected. Looking at the position the aircraft was and the fastest line back to me I think I know what happened.

Manage to get the aircraft back but not sure if the repair cost will be so much that it's in economical. We will find out I guess.

Not as mad as I thought I'd be. I guess the way I look at it is flying drones always carries this risk of crashing
View attachment 79729
Try Cloud City Drones in Warwick RI as I just had mine repaired there... hope that helps

I have rth turned off in case of lost signal, you can set it to hover in place until you get signal back and that's what I do. Too risky with all the trees and a big lake I live by.

Suggest you maintain line of sight per the FAA rules. My experience is you can't even assess clearance from other objects beyond 300-500 feet. At 1700 feet, your ability to even see your drone is impossible.

Reactions: sgf
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm in the u.k and the drone has been revived by the drone doctor and I'm awaiting a quote for repair.

Suggest you maintain line of sight per the FAA rules. My experience is you can't even assess clearance from other objects beyond 300-500 feet. At 1700 feet, your ability to even see your drone is impossible.

There's always one person who is like a little goody gum drop.
I get sick replys like this.
Dude seriously nobody keeps there drone in line of sight.
Ok if you search the forum for range tests you will see that 6000-170000 foot is where people fly at.

If your gonna post something like this just don't bother at all and move to the next thread. It's not helpful it's just annoying.

The reason I fly drones is to get some cool video that is otherwise impossible unless you own a chopper. Now you can't get video like this if you fly 500 ft away from yourself.

Come on now get a grip.

P.s just to clarify if you do all your homework and research you can fly safe at any distance without my issue happening. Fact is the RTH crash was 100% my fault. If I had set my altitude higher then I would have been fine. And I actually knew I should have set RTH altitude higher. I just didn't think I would have the Unfortunate freak thing that my drone lost signal in that exact spot where the return path was through a chimney.

Tough luck Daz. We all live and learn.

If you're going back a handful of us with a couple of SDS drills can have the chimney down.

Wanna hear something funny Bro

I actually work for the local tool hire company supplying the contractors in the power station tools responsible for the demolition work ha ha.

Actually I'm delivering a generator and kango on Monday to them myself in hopes of finding my sd card which bounced out at the crash site.

There's always one person who is like a little goody gum drop.
I get sick replys like this.
Dude seriously nobody keeps there drone in line of sight.
Ok if you search the forum for range tests you will see that 6000-170000 foot is where people fly at.

If your gonna post something like this just don't bother at all and move to the next thread. It's not helpful it's just annoying.

The reason I fly drones is to get some cool video that is otherwise impossible unless you own a chopper. Now you can't get video like this if you fly 500 ft away from yourself.

Come on now get a grip.

P.s just to clarify if you do all your homework and research you can fly safe at any distance without my issue happening. Fact is the RTH crash was 100% my fault. If I had set my altitude higher then I would have been fine. And I actually knew I should have set RTH altitude higher. I just didn't think I would have the Unfortunate freak thing that my drone lost signal in that exact spot where the return path was through a chimney.

who is getting out to 170000 feet ??? and yes.....these long range flights or any flight over populated/industrialized areas will eventually end the consumer flying camera industry.......crash em while ya can.

Reactions: sgf and deltamike
Find an SD card among the dust and debris! Good luck - you never know.

Now, be sure to misuse the Kango about a meter from the ground at the base. When your done 99 % all the way around just nudge the top of the chimney with your new Phantom and job done.

who is getting out to 170000 feet ??? and yes.....these long range flights or any flight over populated/industrialized areas will eventually end the consumer flying camera industry.......crash em while ya can.

I don't agree that the industry will die. There will be a dark time for drones for sure but, it won't last.

They are here already. And it will be hard for them to disappear forever.
It's like the car and drink driving.

If the car was invented today governments would be all over it with silly laws that would stop us mortals driving them.

And yeah there's a few guys on here getting 12-17000 feet.

I don't agree that the industry will die. There will be a dark time for drones for sure but, it won't last.

They are here already. And it will be hard for them to disappear forever.
It's like the car and drink driving.

If the car was invented today governments would be all over it with silly laws that would stop us mortals driving them.

And yeah there's a few guys on here getting 12-17000 feet.

ahh.....you must have added an erroneous zero on your original post......you were saying over 50 km

Reactions: Dazzauk
these long range flights or any flight over populated/industrialized areas will eventually end the consumer flying camera industry.

I have to partially agree with you. I never go out of LOS and further than 500 feet away. My primary reason is because if I cant see it I risk losing it both literally and control wise.

I can see the attraction of going long distance but I am unwilling to take the risk - and the risk increases the further away you fly - especially with no line of sight I should think.

I have to partially agree with you. I never go out of LOS and further than 500 feet away. My primary reason is because if I cant see it I risk losing it both literally and control wise.

I can see the attraction of going long distance but I am unwilling to take the risk - and the risk increases the further away you fly - especially with no line of sight I should think.
i have no need to go out of vlos, have only gone 85m out and 90m up so far. i too can see the allure of distance mods, but for me the risk out weighs the reward.

I crashed hitting a wire on ascent (thought I had passed under it already) day after Christmas and had that amount of damage. I think DJI had sympathy as they only charged me $178. Writing on the form that it was a Christmas present might have helped. The quote was to fix the gimbal but clearly they replaced it. I can't remember if the RC could connect but if not it was only because it had a broken compass cable and couldn't complete initialization. DJI missed that one of the motors had a damaged bearing where a few weeks later I had to replace it.
Same experience... had a RTH after a critical battery... and was caught under the canopy in a rain forest... shot skyward, hit the branches and came crashing down... they replace both shells, gps, gimbal for about the same $178... and in a week.... no complaints from me... Mahalo DJI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak