Buy 2 Standards instead of 1 Advanced

Reaction score
So right up front I have yet to make a purchase at all. After looking over a few hours of YouTube video it was easy to jump on the P4 bandwagon. After yet a few more hours + reading forums it started to get easier and easier to to have doubts.

So first off there is always the "you get what you pay for" factor. Then there is the point of diminishing return. At some point you have to shell out pretty big bucks for only small gains.

I have a pretty focused reason for wanting a drone. No need for shots from more than 300 yards and that may prove to be a bit too far. 90% of the time it would be used more like a crane. In close, 30 feet and from 200' AGL would be more the norm. No night shots and the work would be done well out of town. WIFI interference should be minimal.

If things go as planned a respectable amount of video would be done over calm ponds.
Best I can tell most of the optical stability systems have to be shut off over water or they get confused. So even a 4 with better systems would need them shut off.

Being over water I would find it easier to deal with a $500.00 system taking the Nestea plunge then a $1400.00 one. And this brings up the buy 2 thing. Back in my gas helicopter days the kit was always pretty cheap. Spare parts would eat you alive. Some of us got to buying two kits just so no matter what you broke, you had a spare on hand. Came in hand more than once.

Seeing that just the price of a second battery looks to run $150.00 , for 350.00 more you could hit the remote location with overkill spare parts. mod one transmitter for more range if needed. Have a spare for warranty returns if the miss hap qualifies.

These are just pre purchase thoughts. Any input on the Standard's ability to hover over calm water, say 6' to 12 feet up?

Thanks for reading my first post.

Reactions: gvsukids and jeganx
No need for shots from more than 300 yards and that may prove to be a bit too far. 90% of the time it would be used more like a crane. In close, 30 feet and from 200' AGL would be more the norm. No night shots and the work would be done well out of town. WIFI interference should be minimal.

If things go as planned a respectable amount of video would be done over calm ponds.
Best I can tell most of the optical stability systems have to be shut off over water or they get confused. So even a 4 with better systems would need them shut off.
These are just pre purchase thoughts. Any input on the Standard's ability to hover over calm water, say 6' to 12 feet up?
If you really don't ever want to go further than 300 years, the Standard should do just fine.
Most users want to go further and the Advanced with Lightbridge instead of the Standard's wifi is much better for that and dealing with interference.
All the P3 series have the same motors and flight controller and should have no problem hovering over water.
Just disable the VPS to prevent it being confused by the water surface if you get a Phantom with VPS.
The Standard doesn't have it and if you went for the P4, it's not able to be disabled so far.

I almost just did that. I bought 2 P3S because of a price screw up, (they were $160ea) I ended up selling the 2nd on because I am not going to use it much, and all I really wanted was a second battery. I sold it for $400, and with the money got a battery, case, wireless extender, and iPad Mini holder. I am thrilled with the performance, and only got the extender because I felt I would need it but after sending this away from me I know I am never going to go for long distances. good Luck with it, and enjoy it.

If you really don't ever want to go further than 300 years,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I won't make it another 40 years, let alone 300.

On a more gloomy note I got myself a bit more up to speed on the "commercial" part. The original plan was to use the drone for shots very similar to what you can do with a camera crane.. A really really BIG camera crane. Not footage for sale or even pay per view, promotional material for a product though. Anyhow I have read that you now have to get a 107 license when ever they get that mess figured out + forget what ever the 333 exemptions are as the backlog on them is another 300 years ( that I don't have ) give or take.

May I suggest a P3 4k and stock it like a champ!

2 extra batteries, car charger, Argtek antennas, a nice hardshell backpack, extra blades, some filters for the camera. And some nice cow stickers hehehe.

just my 2 cents.

This is pretty much the same reasoning I had. Altough I end up buying the better brother of P3S, the P3 4K. I did want the VPS, and the much better looking controller, but I thought if I lost the drone for some reason, it wouldn't be too hard for me to swallow. I almost thinking of trading it in with P3P because the range sucks at first. Only 200m and video gets choppy. One of the reason is because of interference. But then I saw @dirtybum pulling that crazy 40000' with P3S. Then I know it has so many potential. The antenna mod, the tx-power mod. It's not impossible to make the bird fly further.

Buy two standards.
One can be flying in the air.
The other by FedEx ground too and from DJI.
:rolleyes:

Rod

Reactions: dg8882
buy one...and as many batteries you wish...
Nope, I disagree, got to have a backup plan. ;)

My history, P2V+, FPV bad out of the box, it was gone 6 weeks for repair, Then I lost in the woods.

I buy P3S Aug 2015, to use for an aid to look for my P2, I do a firmware update, I then have remote signal problems, I sent it in for repair.

I used once to look for my P2 in October got one 12 min flight, got rained out.

Flying my P3 (Feb 2016) near my house, had a head wind, never made it back, dropped 225' when the battery died. Sent it in for repair. Used a few times worked great.
Did a firmware update Remote signals crapped out again, no downgrade option available.

Just before I sent it in for repair, went up in the woods to look for my P2V.
P3 completely useless, as soon I was above the tree height about 100' RTH would kick in, plus still to much snow to get to desired search location.
Sent it in for repair.

Maybe this weekend, over a year since I lost my P2V I can use my P3 to look for it.
I am not sure, it takes 50 mins to drive there and dodging log trucks and campers. :eek:

Last edited:
Not necessarily the temperature, but the humidity. Kinda like flying with a hot, wet blanket draped over you. Been flying in the early AM at sunrise when it's not as bad.

Has been in the mid/high 90's with heat index (feels like temp) of 105-115. A bit too toasty for me. Yes, I think this drone pilot is getting wimpy....[emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: Squirrel!
lol, agree, dragon's breath...thats how it feels here in florida...DJI almost make me buy a new tablet...when i was researching to buy my drone, currently I use Ipad mini 1st gen, and it works flawless, no problems whatsoever with signal...seems Rodpad has tons of interference...good luck!!

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20