Bulldog Lake Dam in the McCormick Wilderness

Reaction score
Here is a video that I have wanted to make for years...even before I had a drone. But carrying my drone with me made it that much better. To get here it is an hour drive from my home. It is a 20 minute drive from the parking area to any sort of cell phone reception. The hike is one mile on small trails that disappear and reappear, at least 3 river crossings and 2 miles of pure bushwack that is extremely rough. I crossed at least 6 swamps, one of which was about 1/4 mile wide. It is hard to believe that there is a concrete dam this deep into the wilderness. It is REMOTE! The loggers used to dam the lake level up high and log until the spring thaw, then release the water and float the logs down the Yellow Dog River to Lake Independence in Big Bay, Michigan. There was a sawmill there that was originally owned by Brunswick (yes...bowling pins) and later by Henry Ford (yes...wooden wheels and woody cars).

Hey Mike, wouldn’t it have been easier to just fly your drone there from the parking lot? 3 miles on land is a lot less by air. With my back, hips and knees l would have to get it a try.

Hey Mike, wouldn’t it have been easier to just fly your drone there from the parking lot? 3 miles on land is a lot less by air. With my back, hips and knees l would have to get it a try.
It is under deep forest cover. I seriously doubt you'd make it a mile (and I am being generous with that) without losing signal thru the dense tree cover. It is fairly straight from the parking lot...I bet it is still 2 1/2 miles, straight line.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl