Build from the ground up, or save that money for the complete package

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m seriously contemplating getting the phantom 4.. I sold my standard 3 about 6 months ago and realized pretty quickly that I made a pretty dumb decision by doing so.. okay so my “holdup” if you will ...
- (Also, anybody reading this that has an honest/intelligent response please put your two cents in, that’s exactly why I joined this forum... I can’t afford the full package of the phantom 4 .. well, I can… But I’m looking for a brand new one that’s legitimately sound, salad, zero issues, and all the accessories .. i’m searching through eBay recently and I come across a phantom 4 drone… Just the drone by itself… Would it be wise to purchase the drone and basically build around it (Adding controller, camera, batteries etc.) or is that a more expensive route? And in other words I’d be better off saving up for the complete package rather than buying just the drone and or just the controller with batteries so on and so forth until I built the complete set up ..?

The drone is a very complex machine....lots could go very wrong.....we know that by reading all the issues about drones here...If you go that route and assemble you own out of random parts......You have No warranty...and at least if its all purchased together you do...for a year with Dji.......You never know about random parts...if they are good or bad or working some times and not other times....Its a gamble to put your own together . I'm very sure your going to hear more about what you are wanting to do......Stay Tuned in more will reply !

Based on my years of building and destroying most things that fly, I finally came to the inclusion that it was more economical and enjoyable to just buy a unit that was ready to go be it new or second hand. I’m pretty much time poor these days and have a spare quad that I tinker with and mod to keep my hand in. When it’s time to fly, I grab the other one and thrash it before sitting back down with a six pack and start tinkering again. If you can’t be bothered doing both, go for one that is complete and flies. These things drain money faster than an ex wife.

I’d go for a working, second hand, complete unit based on what you have said. Buying bits / parts is a very bad idea, mostly a hit & miss as most ‘parts’ arise from something having gone wrong already from someone else & if they are new parts they are rarely cheaper than a complete unit. (Try building a car from parts).. only you know your technical skills but you asked - I say don’t. Wait and save if necessary. Good luck

Hey everyone, I’m seriously contemplating getting the phantom 4.. I sold my standard 3 about 6 months ago and realized pretty quickly that I made a pretty dumb decision by doing so.. okay so my “holdup” if you will ...
- (Also, anybody reading this that has an honest/intelligent response please put your two cents in, that’s exactly why I joined this forum... I can’t afford the full package of the phantom 4 .. well, I can… But I’m looking for a brand new one that’s legitimately sound, salad, zero issues, and all the accessories .. i’m searching through eBay recently and I come across a phantom 4 drone… Just the drone by itself… Would it be wise to purchase the drone and basically build around it (Adding controller, camera, batteries etc.) or is that a more expensive route? And in other words I’d be better off saving up for the complete package rather than buying just the drone and or just the controller with batteries so on and so forth until I built the complete set up ..?

The idea behind a bundle is to save money.

I bought my p4p as a bundle package with extra batteries, backpack etc etc etc etc. I priced everything new seperately and saved over $300. That's 2 batteries for free essentially.

I also had the added benefit of having only one return if it arrived damaged. I had two sources (DJI and Amazon) to handle warranty claims.

The only way I would piece a package together would be on used equipment and even then I would want at least the p4, controller, and a battery as a package.

I honestly just don't see how you can save on new equipment by piecing it out.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
As a new P4 owner (never flew before today), I'd say, in all honesty, buy a complete, used drone...here, in the classifieds. I have been lurking in the forums for a while and researching purchasing a drone since last summer. Last week, an unbelievable deal came up in the classifieds here. Was able to get a P4 (pretty much mint), controller, 3 P4 OEM batts, charger, 2 sets of blades (1 new), 5 ND filters and Polorizer, extra USB cables and a Manfrotto Drone backpack for LITERALLY, 545.00 (including the PP goods and services fee). Best decision I ever made and painless. Piece-mailing it probably wouldn't have been so painless OR inexpensive.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl