Broken shell from fall can I fix

Reaction score
So I hit a tree today. Pretty much all my fault. It got stuck in the top. Then it fell about 30 feet. It cracked and bent one arm. All else seems ok. So I need a new she'll of course, my question is should I send it to dji or can a replace the shell myself? I have basic knowledge but have never done this. What can I expect or should I just send it off? Thanks all need some help here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Assuming that nothing internal is damaged and all other functions perform as normal, eBay and places like Amazon are littered with spare parts options. You could price it up and see where your comfort and price point level is. There are many YouTube video tutorials showing you how to replace shells and the like.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watch this Video The Video is about 1 hour and 35 minutes.
gosports1

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watch this Video The Video is about 1 hour and 35 minutes.
gosports1
Thanks i did watch it and am going to give it a shot. Already ordered new shell. From everything I can tell all else seems to work. I turned it on with no errors or problems. Camera and gimbal all work. Started motors with no props on and everything works. Can't test with props since arm is bent and prop would hit body so I'm going to replace shell and hope for the best. Thanks guys I'll let you know how the fix goes!

Thanks i did watch it and am going to give it a shot. Already ordered new shell. From everything I can tell all else seems to work. I turned it on with no errors or problems. Camera and gimbal all work. Started motors with no props on and everything works. Can't test with props since arm is bent and prop would hit body so I'm going to replace shell and hope for the best. Thanks guys I'll let you know how the fix goes!

FYI: Mine also dropped and bent one arm so the prop wouldn't turn. There was no other damage. I took the upper shell off and straightened everything using a heat gun. That was a year ago. Everything has been fine since. I did add strong-arm reinforcement plates to the motors after. You should too (IMO).
But you are doing the right thing by just replacing the shell. I would too, but I'm waiting for the next crash.
Good luck.

Reactions: Casey Cassity
I just got done replacing the shell and all motors. There are numerous videos you can watch. Where did you order the shell from? If you order from DJI, you get the landing gear included. I ordered from Amazon and it came without the landing legs. By the way, it was the same price $59 as DJI price. Here's a pic.
Oh, make sure you get the right tools.

Attachments

• IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 384
Reactions: Dounin Front
I just got done replacing the shell and all motors. There are numerous videos you can watch. Where did you order the shell from? If you order from DJI, you get the landing gear included. I ordered from Amazon and it came without the landing legs. By the way, it was the same price $59 as DJI price. Here's a pic.
I've watched a few video's and feel real confident about doing it now. I should have all the tools. Might need to get some small torch drives though. Can't find mine. And I did just get it from dji for $59. About the same price on eBay and such.

Reactions: D'sAdvanced
I've watched a few video's and feel real confident about doing it now. I should have all the tools. Might need to get some small torch drives though. Can't find mine. And I did just get it from dji for $59. About the same price on eBay and such.

Hello all. I got the shell and have swapped everything over and put it back together. Just did my first test flight and everything worked perfectly. It was not as hard as I first thought. Hardest part was reconnecting the antennas and flex cables in sensor module. Not hard just tedious with not a lot of room to work with. I think I'm ready to start building my own quads. Thanks again for input.

I got a shell from Amazon and it did have the legs. I used the original legs anyway to avoid swapping the compass and the rubber feet.

I got a shell from Amazon and it did have the legs. I used the original legs anyway to avoid swapping the compass and the rubber feet.

I'm starting to think that I received an open box as it was the original DJI box but with no legs. I had actually removed the original shell, including the compas from the legs prior to receiving the new shell. Then had to attach the compas back in the original legs.

I'm starting to think that I received an open box as it was the original DJI box but with no legs. I had actually removed the original shell, including the compas from the legs prior to receiving the new shell. Then had to attach the compas back in the original legs.
Possible the legs were on the underside of the packing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31