Bright Spot in Pictures & Video - Defective Camera?

Reaction score
Hi, I have a brand new Phantom Vision. Flown 8 times, never wrecked. I notice in my pictures and video, all of them, that I have a bright spot in them, but only when the sun is at the PV's 6 O'clock. When I yaw, left or right, the bright spot also moves, so the spot is not remaining in one spot and is not a spot on the lens. I can eventually yaw/rotate to the point where the spot leaves the picture and generally this is when the sun is not anymore on the back of the camera. You can see this spot in the picture I attatched, third power pole from the left, above the green roof. I'm wondering if the camera has a light leak in the rear and this leak is hitting the CCD and if I need to send this PV back for replacement.

Attachments

• light leak.JPG
    light leak.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,467
Nope, seems to be a "feature" of this particular camera/sensor/lens setup. One of our resident pro photographers, StudioWise, has mentioned he's looking at coming up with something that might help with it.

I have seen similar on other videos/photos taken with different quad & camera setups so it's not just the Vision. My cure would be to move to the UK - far fewer sunny days to worry about. :lol:

I haven't seen this bright spot in any of the pictures I have done. Usually this sort of problem is apparent with ultra wide lenses where basically you get fall off to the edges of about a stop in exposure and this corrected by using a wide angle center filter.
I think this is too much of a blob to be part of the lens characteristics and would say it's a fault.
At the moment I'm more concerned about the fall off in sharpness at the sides - as soon as they sort out this raw converter the better and then I can see what this lens is really like.
but as the previous poster it could be what he has posted a link to.... its been a long day lol. The hot blob is not something Ive come across in all the aerial photography Ive done however.

No I am correct in regards to some wide angle lenses needing a center spot filter to correct exposure usually to do with the circle of coverage and the size of film used. You are however correct in regards to the hot spot phenomenon and I corrected my post to acknowledge that.
Cheers

justsomeguy said:
The hot spot is not due to a defective camera and it is common to many lens configurations on many cameras.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ESZHAA ... CEAQ6AEwAw

I'm having difficulty accepting this answer because the sun is directly behind the the camera / 180 degrees azimuth of direction we are looking in the picture / at my 6 o'clock. The Sun is in the West, I am looking East. How can the hot spot be in the picture if the sun is behind the camera? Forgive me fellas, I've never seen this problem before and it doesn't make since to me.I also have this same question asked to Dronefly where a purchased this machine. I will post their reply on here when I Rx it.

Thanks! and Keep Posting!

Jeff

I've also seen these hot spots in pictures other times of the day. I've been looking West and the sun was in the East. Obvioulsy a morning picture. Just throughing this out there.

Jeff

It's not the camera, it is the sun. I've seen it over the years in different cameras, appears when the sun is at your 6, and more so when shooting down from a high point so the Z axis is closer to the angle of the sunlight. The PV creates the 'perfect storm' for this to occur.

I'm going to test the theory of a defective camera by placing the P2V on the table in a dim/dark room and shineing my bright light at poin blank on the back and side of it. If there was a light leaks, it would certainly show up.

I'm starting to believe you guys about the sun. What weird phenomenon. I'll post my results later.

Thanks,

Jeff

justsomeguy said:
MrFlats said:
I'm having difficulty accepting this answer because the sun is directly behind the the camera / 180 degrees azimuth of direction we are looking in the picture / at my 6 o'clock. The Sun is in the West, I am looking East. How can the hot spot be in the picture if the sun is behind the camera? Forgive me fellas, I've never seen this problem before and it doesn't make since to me.I also have this same question asked to Dronefly where a purchased this machine. I will post their reply on here when I Rx it.

Thanks! and Keep Posting!

Jeff

Yes. The hot spot is only present when the sun is behind the camera and within the cone, as described in the link. Many times you can actually see the shadow of the Phantom within the hot spot's halo. It's an optics thing. I've seen it many times.

Edit: Just uploaded an old video that has a hot spot (just above the coyote at the start. You can see it disappear as the camera yaws towards the end.

https://vimeo.com/80015465

Thanks for the post. I guess this is just one of those optics things. Cool Coyote. The area looks like Colorado Springs. Ha ha Breezein.

Jeff

Ok!!! Its opposition effect!! I am in agreeance. Thanks for your help fellow P2V'ers!!

I am happy my camera is not defective. At the same time, I did shine my 100 lumen LED light at the back and side of my camera while blocking the lens and there are NO light leaks as I once described.

Thanks again fellas!!! Confided this one closed. (I will still copy and past the email once I Rx it)

Jeff

justsomeguy said:
MrFlats said:
Ok!!! Its opposition effect!! I am in agreeance. Thanks for your help fellow P2V'ers!!

I need to clarify. I would never own a Phantom Vision due to the horrible video quality and the craptastic 1-axis gimbal.

My hot spot experience is based upon my use of a GPB on an ancient Phantom.

I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy the P2V's camera. I'm just curious, and not making any attempt at being rude, why you're even browsing this forum? You've already decided you want nothing to do with a vision. Or are you just curious about all the other capabilities that the P2V has that the original doesn't? Again... just curious. :? :|

gunslinger said:
justsomeguy said:
MrFlats said:

I need to clarify. I would never own a Phantom Vision due to the horrible video quality and the craptastic 1-axis gimbal.

My hot spot experience is based upon my use of a GPB on an ancient Phantom.

I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy the P2V's camera. I'm just curious, and not making any attempt at being rude, why you're even browsing this forum? You've already decided you want nothing to do with a vision. Or are you just curious about all the other capabilities that the P2V has that the original doesn't? Again... just curious. :? :|

My Phantom has been great so far. The line above is not mine. I love my P2V. Its like a pet. Above, "I would never own a Phantom Vision due to the horrible video quality and the craptastic 1-axis gimbal" is not my comment. - - MrFlats

Pull_Up said:
Nope, seems to be a "feature" of this particular camera/sensor/lens setup. One of our resident pro photographers, StudioWise, has mentioned he's looking at coming up with something that might help with it.

I have seen similar on other videos/photos taken with different quad & camera setups so it's not just the Vision. My cure would be to move to the UK - far fewer sunny days to worry about. :lol:

just thought id update that i did in fact make up and play around with some mini polarisation and grad filters. It is possible to reduce (ever so slightly) the hotspots by filtering the light but then it does of course have a detrimental effect on the rest of the video. we havent had a lot of sun here in the uk recently so testing was patchy to say the least.
seeing as it pretty much is mostly only noticeable when flying over low land and vegetation (where the sun hides the shadows), im just going to be careful of my angle to the sun should i do wide open arable flights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers