Bricked camera fix?

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm looking at buying a Vision with a bricked camera for cheap. Is there a known fix for this issue? Or any other camera setup I can screw onto this thing to get FPV going again?

My primary goal is photography, so while this guy's offering me an excellent deal for the drone, without a camera it's not worth it.

Thanks!

My camera is also currently inoperable. Speak with J Dot, he works on these camera's and can give you some options.

I may be sending mine to DJI for repair.

While we're waiting on that guy to see this... Has anyone managed to make a generic camera mount for these? If I can screw a phone to it I can manage until I figure out the original camera.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does your green light come on...does it record or take pictures....do you get Telemetry and battery info in the app on your tablet/phone ?

Need more info on the state of the camera really. Is the seller SURE its the camera at fault and not a power connector...etc.

Cameras are getting scarce for this model. Internal circuit cards are not available at all as far as i know.
There are shops according to J Dot that will work on them....but parts are, and always will be, an ever increasing problem to obtain.

DJI has sent me RMA paperwork for fill out...So i assume they still will atleast repair the FC200 camera.

I don't have detailed info, beyond that the camera doesn't work but the drone still flies. He says it's firmware bricked but I don't know how hard he's chased fixing it. I'd say I'm about 80% set on buying it, depending on what I learn from this thread today.

Hello,
J Dot here.
Thanks for the alert @dirkclod! :)

Ok, Skiddyfisk,
Depending on what seller has done, ( firmware ect? ) will let us know what is going on!

Typically the problem, is the wifi extender upgrade, that burns board #3, inside fc200 camera egg.
( can you ask the seller if he chose to UPGRADE RANGE EXTENDER THROUGH THE APP. ) if this is the case, than board 3 is done.

Now there are other possibilities!
1) bad extender?
2) bad top board ( board #1 ) you will phantom disconnected error in app.
3) wifi board ( board #4 ) bottom board, you will get " Unable to connect to phantom network "

I'd assume it is a board 3 issue, as that has been a huge issue in the past months. As stated above, the boards are not avail, through DJI, OR ANYWHERE for that matter.

Options:
1) repair shops, most just swap parts, and old stuff goes in a bin or the garbage. So I'd call all your local shops, ( looking for a CRASHED CAMERA ), as the casing will be ruined, but boards inside may have survived. I've picked them up for free, or very cheap $30 tops. The shops don't fix them, they just put a new camera on, and call t a day. ( you might get lucky? )

2) I have a buddy that has new cameras ( fc200 egg ) not sure his pricing on them? But he may sell you one, or parts one out ( I believe he has several broken units as well? ) does not hurt to ask!

Mike Holt
530-277-5366
( California time, so please be courteous, no 4am phone calls, lol ;) )

But honestly, I'd press seller for more info about what happened?

1) was it a extender upgrade!
2) do you get telemetry but no pic?
3) is it a completely black screen? No pic, no telemetry?
4) can he connect to phantom network?
This will help me know better of what is going on with it.

hope this helps.
J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
also
May we ask what seller is asking for it, price wise shipped?
Not trying to pry, just wondering if it is a good deal for you, with broken camera?

J Dot

I don't have detailed info, beyond that the camera doesn't work but the drone still flies. He says it's firmware bricked but I don't know how hard he's chased fixing it. I'd say I'm about 80% set on buying it, depending on what I learn from this thread today.
It's still flyable and would make a good training drone....You may have a hard time repairing/replacing the camera....if not now,... then definitely the future, as DJI no longer produces the parts for the Vision.

Hardly any hobby shops or DJI Authorized dealers, have or can get the camera any longer. So that will be a huge consideration moving forward with this model.

Here is all the info I currently have from the seller.

cafd99b9be7ebb8658c808157d145536.jpg

b4e774b06a6a7f836f9b78fcd809f405.jpg

He did clarify that it's a vision, too.

Hello,
J Dot here.
Thanks for the alert @dirkclod! :)

Ok, Skiddyfisk,
Depending on what seller has done, ( firmware ect? ) will let us know what is going on!

Typically the problem, is the wifi extender upgrade, that burns board #3, inside fc200 camera egg.
( can you ask the seller if he chose to UPGRADE RANGE EXTENDER THROUGH THE APP. ) if this is the case, than board 3 is done.

Now there are other possibilities!
1) bad extender?
2) bad top board ( board #1 ) you will phantom disconnected error in app.
3) wifi board ( board #4 ) bottom board, you will get " Unable to connect to phantom network "

I'd assume it is a board 3 issue, as that has been a huge issue in the past months. As stated above, the boards are not avail, through DJI, OR ANYWHERE for that matter.

Options:
1) repair shops, most just swap parts, and old stuff goes in a bin or the garbage. So I'd call all your local shops, ( looking for a CRASHED CAMERA ), as the casing will be ruined, but boards inside may have survived. I've picked them up for free, or very cheap $30 tops. The shops don't fix them, they just put a new camera on, and call t a day. ( you might get lucky? )

2) I have a buddy that has new cameras ( fc200 egg ) not sure his pricing on them? But he may sell you one, or parts one out ( I believe he has several broken units as well? ) does not hurt to ask!

Mike Holt
530-277-5366
( California time, so please be courteous, no 4am phone calls, lol ;) )

But honestly, I'd press seller for more info about what happened?

1) was it a extender upgrade!
2) do you get telemetry but no pic?
3) is it a completely black screen? No pic, no telemetry?
4) can he connect to phantom network?
This will help me know better of what is going on with it.

hope this helps.
J Dot
Hi J Dot. I was curious if this upgrade thru the app applies to android....i dont remember updating the RE at all. Not saying i didn't click OK (and not remember).....I just don't remember doing so.
I only updated anything.....AFTER i got this camera problem.

Is there a way to tell if your RE had been updated....i wasn't even aware it could be.

Well,
For $140, it's not bad,
Even if you buy a new camera for $100-150, you'd still have a p2v for under 300. Worst case scenario! As stated by Rookie
Would still be a great learning drone, and still fun to fly without camera, until you can repair or replace. The camera CAN be fixed, with the parts ( if we can find them ) I have several spares of all boards except 3 ( for obvious reasons, lol ) so if a different board is bad, I got your back. And happy to help. But if it is TRUELY board 3, then the search is on!

I guess it comes down to you, and what you want to do?
A working p2v is $300-350. So toss the coin, and let us know what you decide? But I'm glad to help along the way.
( I've bought working p2v cameras from $50 to $120 before, so you might get lucky, find a cheap working camera, then the total cost comes down into a reasonable price, for a working craft. Like this $140 for drone, and say $50 for the camera ( if we get lucky ) your now $190 for a working craft ( that's not bad at all )

J Dot

That's the estimate I was looking for.

So DJI just won't touch these things?

Can the camera be non-destructively removed if I want to temporarily attach something else or just lose the weight while I source parts? Depending on availability of boards, just dedicating a phone to drone camera duty might be a viable solution.

I just got an RMA approval from DJI to send mine to them for my camera issue.....So i assume they still will work on them....no estimate of costs yet tho....So i'm hesitant to trust DJI wont send me a 500 dollar repair cost....They don't give you much info on their process or prices.

Yes camera can be removed without damage, and craft will still fly, but no video or telemetry.

J Dot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic