BREAKING!!! U.S. Will Require Drones to Be Registered

Mine is made from various parts at the hobby store. I did not buy it already assembled. How would I register mine?

Exactly right, and they have been ineffective in enforcing the existing laws. We're still waiting for their air traffic control upgrade!

"Approach Control, who's next?"
View attachment 33880
The pilot of this 210 "skillfully" landed gear up on the freeway because he "forgot" to switch tanks. He was not the owner of the plane and was not cited. However, a pickup allegedly clipped his wing in the dark and was cited for leaving the scene of an accident.
What!!!! I'm glad he didn't run Into one of our drones they call them !

This stuff goes on more than you think and the outcome is null! Then a pilot sees a "drone" at 2 o'clock 1000 feet away! While he's traveling 400 plus mph he's at 8000 AGL RIGHT !!!! "Most" of these story's Are BS. Lies!
Just because they are pilots that does not make them perfect!

This is just another goshdarn plan by the gubbermint to steal my stuff!

They already took all my guns, my car, my dog, my marriage, my newborn child, and all the fish I caught. No wait... They haven't taken any of that. Hmmm...

Passive aggressive much? Are you trying to say my opinion is that of a hillbilly or redneck? You're a staff member, I would think you would show more respect to a member's opinions here.

Reactions: Phoenix Outdoors
Nope they haven't but they make money off everything you just said and that is all this is about . Freedom cost money and they want paid .

Nothing the gov't does is cheap. Too much bureaucracy. But as Al said, N numbers are $20. Hopefully it won't be that much more. Just think how much we throw at DJI each year. $20 is peanuts!

Passive aggressive much? Are you trying to say my opinion is that of a hillbilly or redneck? You're a staff member, I would think you would show more respect to a member's opinions here.

Jump to conclusions much? No disrespect was intended or implied towards anyone. What do you have against hillbillies and rednecks? :p

The whole drone registration issue may have additional implications. I personally think that registering drones is an overreach of the government and that the claimed goal will not be accomplished.

I also think that a few stupid people have given drones the bad reputation. The problems are not the drones, guns, laser pointers, model rockets or for that matter kites (are we registering those?), the problem are those very, very few idiots that no matter what the rules are, they will always brake them.

I may not have a problem with a very simple registration if there is no other way around it. But, since the drones are airplanes and airplanes are controlled by the FAA, I have a feeling that it will not be easy.

I have registered several aircrafts with the FAA. Some were general aviation and some experimental. In case that you may not familiar with the process, I will explain:

1. You first decide if you want a special N-Number or one assigned by them. If you want a special number that will cost you $10.00 in addition to the $5.00 fee.
2. To register an "aircraft" you need and original form (8050-1). This form you can't download from their website, so you have to go to an FAA office or call the FAA (good luck!) to get the form. You then submit the form and other paperwork and include $5.00 and hope that you filed everything correctly. (I had to re-submit 2 of them)
3. To register an aircraft that you built yourself, you submit the registration as an experimental aircraft. (Is a drone built by yourself experimental aircraft?)

Here is the link on registering a Small Unmanned Aircraft (under 55 pounds) used for commercial purpose. Pay attention to the many, many requirements.

Aircraft Registry – Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA)

This process is similar to the current process to register a regular aircraft. I doubt that the FAA will change this process.

Now for the additional implications I mentioned earlier. A month or two after I received the FAA Registration, I got a letter from my State Tax Commission saying that I owed State Taxes (put your state tax rate here) on the "out of state" purchase of the aircraft. So much for any Phantom bought at Amazon or EBay...

Also, when I built my experimental airplane, they requested that I submit the invoice of the kit and any other parts that I had purchased to build the airplane to help them estimate the sales tax and to check if I had paid local taxes in purchases from the Internet.

Additionally, six months after I paid my sales tax, my County sent me a letter to collect, every year from now on , the "uniform property tax and a registration fee". This is $100.00 or 0.4% of the wholesale value, whichever is higher.

Under my State Law: "Aircraft subject to titling and/or registration are considered vehicles, and are subject to sales and use tax."
Why, would my State, not do the same for drones if the FAA classifies and registers them as aircraft? If the FAA gets to make us register our drones, should we then insist that all RC aircrafts and helicopters, model rockets, and laser pointers be registered.

I am not concerned at this point about giving up my privacy, because since 911 and the "Patriot Act" all my information whether private or financial is being collected by the NSA anyway. I am very concerned though, with continuously paying more and more taxes and fees, specially for something as dumb as this.

So, I think that "registration" has many implications and I am very concerned. I wish we could somehow voice through a united nationwide organization our opposition to this unfair legislation. After all, it is just a hobby....

Reactions: pchin2 and R2-D2
I know it's not in the best interest of most folks here but I really hope the AMA pushes to maintain the "hobby" segment as home build sUAS and avoid registration. That would be the closest parallel to planes and helicopters that have been flown for many decades. The term hobby usually involves construction so it may be plausible. The turn key camera platforms will be the main target do to ease of startup and the public view of the camera capability.

I must have gotten a deal - my N# only cost me $5
I "think" that if you just accepted the next one in line it was $5 and if you wanted to reserve a specific one (like I did) it was $10.

Then you have to "Register" the aircraft and depending on what paperwork you submit it's either $5 or $10.

So right now registration could cost $10, $15, or $20 depending on how you file and what you ask for.

I "think" that if you just accepted the next one in line it was $5 and if you wanted to reserve a specific one (like I did) it was $10.

Then you have to "Register" the aircraft and depending on what paperwork you submit it's either $5 or $10.

So right now registration could cost $10, $15, or $20 depending on how you file and what you ask for.
I have completed all those steps, and all have been aproved by FAS, I have an N# and have only spent $5 I took the # FAA assigned because I am cheap

You guys should catch up on this talk about all the regulations on the Diane Rehm show on NPR. If you miss it I think you can listen by podcast. A bunch of terminology being used incorrectly and it's upsetting but I blame it on the media working this all up. All about educating the masses though I feel the damage has been done. Still the most informative talks I've heard to date.

#286 was a good post. But if our drones are under the area of DOT. Its the cops that enforce the local DOT laws. So I can see it happening, old cranky people calling the cops on all drones or pilots they see after learning cops will come around to check for the license. Then if you don't have the license the cops seize the drone and the costs to attempt get it back are just not worth it. I don't see any good coming from this.

I was flying at a Lake last Sunday up 300 foot and my wife heard a noisy aircraft, looked over this biplane was flying at only 200 feet and much lower then my P3P. I was about 1.2 miles from him and landed to avoid any issues. I don't think what he did was legal, is the FAA going after him? Nope, the FAA is a bunch of fatsos in a gov office surfing reddit for cat photos who don't answer the phone.

#286 was a good post. But if our drones are under the area of DOT. Its the cops that enforce the local DOT laws. So I can see it happening, old cranky people calling the cops on all drones or pilots they see after learning cops will come around to check for the license. Then if you don't have the license the cops seize the drone and the costs to attempt get it back are just not worth it. I don't see any good coming from this.

I was flying at a Lake last Sunday up 300 foot and my wife heard a noisy aircraft, looked over this biplane was flying at only 200 feet and much lower then my P3P. I was about 1.2 miles from him and landed to avoid any issues. I don't think what he did was legal, is the FAA going after him? Nope, the FAA is a bunch of fatsos in a gov office surfing reddit for cat photos who don't answer the phone.
The FAA can't go after the Biplane unless it was reported. Surely at that close distance you copied the N registration number displayed on the plane, and called the FAA to report him?

The FAA can't go after the Biplane unless it was reported. Surely at that close distance you copied the N registration number displayed on the plane, and called the FAA to report him?

That biplane was flying I'd estimate 150 feet or about the same as the electrical wires on the metal H rigs in the desert. I had no time to look for tail numbers as I was bringing my bird down from 300 feet to land and that was my focus. Even if I had time to write down the tail numbers I won't snitch on people to big brother as I'm not doing their job for them. This guy was about 2000 foot under the mountains so if he flew into my bird I don't think it would be my fault since I was under FAA guildlines. I have no idea what these pilots rules are to tell the truth.

Edit: I doubt complaints to the FAA matter without some proof, they never answer the phone and they likely don't investigate nothing unless its slam dunks. The FAA is lazy as it gets.

That biplane was flying I'd estimate 150 feet or about the same as the electrical wires on the metal H rigs in the desert. I had no time to look for tail numbers as I was bringing my bird down from 300 feet to land and that was my focus. Even if I had time to write down the tail numbers I won't snitch on people to big brother as I'm not doing their job for them. This guy was about 2000 foot under the mountains so if he flew into my bird I don't think it would be my fault since I was under FAA guildlines. I have no idea what these pilots rules are to tell the truth.

Edit: I doubt complaints to the FAA matter without some proof, they never answer the phone and they likely don't investigate nothing unless its slam dunks. The FAA is lazy as it gets.

Well then you and I don't have a thing to worry about when we fly our drones safely then, do we?
By the way, you ALWAYS have to yield to manned aircraft.

Last edited:
Any comments on some of the issues I stated before regarding registration? For example:

1. You bought a Phantom on Amazon and registered it. Now your state wants to collect sales taxes.
2. Your State want you to pay local property tax / registration fee on a Phantom you just registered with the FAA

Any comments on some of the issues I stated before regarding registration? For example:

1. You bought a Phantom on Amazon and registered it. Now your state wants to collect sales taxes.
2. Your State want you to pay local property tax / registration fee on a Phantom you just registered with the FAA

I hadn't thought of that, but the NTSB has already determined that hobby aircraft are aircraft for the purposes of enforcing safety regulations. In California when I registered my Cessna, I had to pay the 6.25% State Sales Tax. California doesn't have an aircraft registration, but Oregon does. What is commonly called "sales tax" is really a "use tax". Just look up your state law and the title will likely be "Sales and Use Tax". When I buy something in New Hampshire without a sales tax and bring it home in Massachusetts, I owe a use tax. Good luck collecting that.

States have always been looking at aircraft registrations to send a use tax bill. It was easy and lucrative pickings.

Here is the FAA document that officially opens the task force. We have 15-days to submit comments. BE NICE with your comments - this is your opportunity to tell the Task Force why this is a bad or unworkable plan. Be nice and be factual.

Regulations.gov

From the document (emphasis mine):
To facilitate the task force’s work, we are requesting information and data from the public in the following areas:
1. What methods are available for identifying individual products? Does every UAS sold have an individual serial number? Is there another method for identifying individual products sold without serial numbers or those built from kits?
2. At what point should registration occur (e.g. point-of-sale or prior-to-operation)? How should transfers of ownership be addressed in registration?
3. If registration occurs at point-of-sale, who should be responsible for submission of the data? What burdens would be placed on vendors of UAS if DOT required registration to occur at point-of-sale? What are the advantages of a point-of-sale approach relative to a prior-to-operation approach?
4. Consistent with past practice of discretion, should certain UAS be excluded from registration based on performance capabilities or other characteristics that could be associated with safety risk, such as weight, speed, altitude operating limitations, duration of flight? If so, please submit information or data to help support the suggestions, and whether any other criteria should be considered.
5. How should a registration process be designed to minimize burdens and best protect innovation and encourage growth in the UAS industry?
6. Should the registration be electronic or web-based? Are there existing tools that could support an electronic registration process?
7. What type of information should be collected during the registration process to positively identify the aircraft owner and aircraft?
8. How should the registration data be stored? Who should have access to the registration data? How should the data be used?
9. Should a registration fee be collected and if so, how will the registration fee be collected if registration occurs at point-of-sale? Are there payment services that can be leveraged to assist (e.g. PayPal)?
10. Are there additional means beyond aircraft registration to encourage accountability and responsible use of UAS?

Comments received by [INSERT DATE 15 DAYS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER] would be most helpful in assisting the UAS registration task force in developing its recommendations. The comment period will remain open after this period and the Department will consider the comments received, in addition to the UAS registration task force’s recommendations, in developing a stream-lined registration process for small UAS, including model aircraft.
Issued in Washington, DC on October 19, 2015.
Remember, be nice. The Task Force will be reading the comments received before their first meeting and this your opportunity to "educate" them. (Post a copy here, too).

Reactions: ianwood

1) There are already laws that address sales taxes for online purchases. There is no law that allows tax to be collected on a drone that has already been purchased. Registration of ownership will not change that.

2) So far there is no indication whatsoever that these toys will be taxed as property. No such law currently exists to enable that. Requiring registration has nothing to do with taxation. We will probably have to pay a minimal one time registration fee - much like I pay to license my two dogs each year. But until any such requirements are implemented, all of these predictions are just speculation and fearmongering.

1) There are already laws that address sales taxes for online purchases. There is no law that allows tax to be collected on a drone that has already been purchased. Registration of ownership will not change that.

2) So far there is no indication whatsoever that these toys will be taxed as property. No such law currently exists to enable that. Requiring registration has nothing to do with taxation. We will probably have to pay a minimal one time registration fee - much like I pay to license my two dogs each year. But until any such requirements are implemented, all of these predictions are just speculation and fearmongering.

LOL You really think they won't tax it? That's the whole purpose of registration, either taxatoin or confiscation. It doesn't prevent any crimes.

You just said "We will probably have to pay a minimal ONE TIME registration fee" then followed that with "much like I pay to license my two dogs EACH YEAR."

Ringing any bells yet? It'll be annual fee and you can say "until it happens", but then it's too late. Once a tax is in place, good luck getting rid of it. Call it fear mongering if you like, but I learn from history.

Reactions: Phoenix Outdoors

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl