Brand new P4P, slight jello on video

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to the DJI world, but I've been messing with drones since about 2009. But until this point, I've made every single one by hand.

But a friend got a P4P, and it blew me away. So I got a P4P.

However, when I was doing my first flight out of box, there is jello in the recording slightly.

Here is what I want to know. I've done nothing. This is a new drone, purchased yesterday, taken out of the box, set up, and flown.

I've looked up other threads, and people had DJI taking their drones in for warranty repairs for this very issue. So I'm thinking of just taking it back to the store and swapping it for another one, or contacting DJI.

What I want to know.. is there anything I can do to try and fix this before I go to that? Any sort of calibrations or changes? I'm completely new to the DJI world.

Thank you!

I don't think you have Jello - perhaps the shutter speed is too high? Should be closer to 2 x the frame rate.

This video has more apparent jello. Especially right at the start and by the solar panels at 2:58. Or is this normal? I can swear I've seen footage where this didn't happen. I have not messed with the shutter speed yet, but it has never been that high compared to FPS.

This video has more apparent jello. Especially right at the start and by the solar panels at 2:58. Or is this normal? I can swear I've seen footage where this didn't happen. I have not messed with the shutter speed yet, but it has never been that high compared to FPS.

Yep - a little more jello like at the start - I'd contact DJI and the seller.

Okay, so that definitely is wrong. I'll see if I can return it to the store for another and if that doesn't work, I'll contact DJI. Thank you!!

The store swapped it, so thats good. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it's still doing it!

The store swapped it, so thats good. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it's still doing it!

Look forward to seeing it. You caused me to review a lot of video yesterday!! No issues (I received my P4P on Thur and only really got to fly it a lot yesterday.)

Okay, I have good news! It's gone, completely, and the video is utterly perfect. I stress this to anyone having jello on the video of a brand new phantom 4 pro, take it back and swap it!!

Thank you so much Alan for letting me know that its not supposed to do this!

3 days ago came my new P4P but immediately had the "jello" effect.
Second problem during the flight indicates strong wind (but there is no wind).
Third problem, great difficult to calibrate IMU. With the drone on a solid table or ground the calibration program report movement... and during the flight was not stable, the engines make continuous corrections.
So yesterday my seller has changed with a new one... now is all ok, no jello and very stable bird.

Glad to hear a new one fixed your problems!

I wish I could learn what causes these defects. The electrical engineer in me really wants to know what's happening when it's all going wrong, whats causing it, etc.

The technician of the store told me that they had many problems with P4P and Mavic. He says that the products are tested too fast.

Hello everyone!

I am new to the DJI world, but I've been messing with drones since about 2009. But until this point, I've made every single one by hand.

But a friend got a P4P, and it blew me away. So I got a P4P.

However, when I was doing my first flight out of box, there is jello in the recording slightly.

Here is what I want to know. I've done nothing. This is a new drone, purchased yesterday, taken out of the box, set up, and flown.

I've looked up other threads, and people had DJI taking their drones in for warranty repairs for this very issue. So I'm thinking of just taking it back to the store and swapping it for another one, or contacting DJI.

What I want to know.. is there anything I can do to try and fix this before I go to that? Any sort of calibrations or changes? I'm completely new to the DJI world.

Thank you!

I have a 2 day old P4P with jello effect, but I do not see any in your video, you are rotating the phantom to fast and that will cause the blurr but when your still that is crystal perfect video. great clarity

I have a 2 day old P4P with jello effect, but I do not see any in your video, you are rotating the phantom to fast and that will cause the blurr but when your still that is crystal perfect video. great clarity

You did not watch the video clearly enough then, as the new phantom I obtained did not display this behavior. Scroll down to the third post in the thread, which is another video I uploaded. Skip to 2:58 and watch in full screen in HD. You will see the jello effect on the solar panels, causing the image to shimmy back and forth. I know it was an issue as I did the same thing with my new phantom and it did not do this, it was rock solid steady.

Could this have possibly been moire interference? When you said shimmy that made me think of shimmer - and that is common with patterned materials (solar panels...) when photographed at certain distances and angles.

Could this have possibly been moire interference? When you said shimmy that made me think of shimmer - and that is common with patterned materials (solar panels...) when photographed at certain distances and angles.

I do not believe so, I believe it is vibration. My evidence for that is that if I look at frame by frame, you can see how different parts of the frame are at different locations. This points to the camera vibrating fast enough that the rolling shutter does not finish its trip down to the bottom of the frame before movement occurs, causing the image to move in frame, ruining it.

Again, I've tested this with the new phantom in the same place with the same lighting and the same conditions and it did not do this. Also the other one consistently did this everywhere I flew.

I do not believe so, I believe it is vibration. My evidence for that is that if I look at frame by frame, you can see how different parts of the frame are at different locations. This points to the camera vibrating fast enough that the rolling shutter does not finish its trip down to the bottom of the frame before movement occurs, causing the image to move in frame, ruining it.

Again, I've tested this with the new phantom in the same place with the same lighting and the same conditions and it did not do this. Also the other one consistently did this everywhere I flew.

I have read where some have seen this when they have tried aftermarket props or when their props somehow were unbalanced. If it happens again maybe you could swap out your props and see if that is the cause.

I have read where some have seen this when they have tried aftermarket props or when their props somehow were unbalanced. If it happens again maybe you could swap out your props and see if that is the cause.

I was definitely considering it. I tried the other batch of props it came with and it didn't seem to improve. At that point, I went against my instinct to repair what I have and just swapped it out for another. Because the whole reason I got it was because for once I wanted to have a tool, not a project. But trust me, I did very much want to troubleshoot it. ;)

I was definitely considering it. I tried the other batch of props it came with and it didn't seem to improve. At that point, I went against my instinct to repair what I have and just swapped it out for another. Because the whole reason I got it was because for once I wanted to have a tool, not a project. But trust me, I did very much want to troubleshoot it. ;)

I hired out some aerial work a few years back and the guy had a hexacopter with a Sony camera on it. I got the footage and it was just horrible. I mean pitiful. I thought it could have been the result of improper conversion to a different frame rate nut know better now. By comparison, your videos were nearly perfect, but I know you want it right. I have not seen a hint of 'jello' in what I have shot but I have seen some moire here and there.

Glad you got it worked out.

I hired out some aerial work a few years back and the guy had a hexacopter with a Sony camera on it. I got the footage and it was just horrible. I mean pitiful. I thought it could have been the result of improper conversion to a different frame rate nut know better now. By comparison, your videos were nearly perfect, but I know you want it right. I have not seen a hint of 'jello' in what I have shot but I have seen some moire here and there.

Glad you got it worked out.

glad your stuff is working well now! Yeah, I had to have one reliable vehicle, this one, to compare all my scratchbuilds to and to do jobs that just need something convenient. You can't really beat how easy and quick a phantom goes up and does its job. And when its not vibrating from a defect of some sort, the footage is flawless.

Here is a link to the video to see the Jello "jiggle" on my new Phantom4 Pro but it is not allways present. 25% of the time it is fine. same recording settings then the next time recording in the same flight I get this as I came in to land.

Here are other videos that have jello at times.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymoo