BOYCOTT DJI!

No company's perfect. The drone market has taken off (pun kind of intended) faster than anyone could've imagined, possibly including DJI. Looking at the competition, there's nothing that can compare with DJI in terms of features versus price.

With the quantities sold - 60,000 Phantoms rumoured to have been sold in the UK in December alone - there are obviously going to be a percentage of people with problems. Chinese companies have something of a reputation for being lacking in quality control and aftersales service but DJI are nowhere near the worst. Sure, they could have offices and service centres in every country but then we'd see their products double in price to cover the costs.

nwillitts said:
N017RW said:
nwillitts said:
i already jumped ship-american made 3DR IRIS+ is superior to dji.
i love my p1-but when dji went to proprietary-that was it for me.
i never was an ios guy-always droid for me.

Manufactured in Mexico BTW.
not quite.
"assembled" is the word your looking for.

Not my word(s).
From 3DR website: (emphasis added)

"Founded in 2009 by Chris Anderson, former editor-in-chief of Wired Magazine and founder of DIYDrones.com, and Jordi Muñoz, an engineering prodigy from Ensenada, Mexico, 3DR is a VC-backed startup with over 200 employees in North America and more than 30,000 customers worldwide. Headquartered in Berkeley, CA, we operate engineering facilities in San Diego, sales and marketing in Austin, Texas, and manufacturing in Tijuana, Mexico."

I have enjoyed my P2, Zenmuse, FatShark, Hero3 now 4 immensely. Never any problem that I could not solve on my own including the gimbal mod for smoother pan.

I don't need nor want to fly out of sight or preprogrammed routes. My biggest challenge is finding compelling subject matter to record.

Why would we want to boycott DJI as they continue down their adventure??? Makes no sense just because they are 'late' with incredibly advanced capabilities.

bschaub said:
I have enjoyed my P2, Zenmuse, FatShark, Hero3 now 4 immensely. Never any problem that I could not solve on my own including the gimbal mod for smoother pan.

I don't need nor want to fly out of sight or preprogrammed routes. My biggest challenge is finding compelling subject matter to record.

Why would we want to boycott DJI as they continue down their adventure??? Makes no sense just because they are 'late' with incredibly advanced capabilities.

You raise a good point. DJI is the current leader in RTF UAV's. Inspite of their flaws, they are still the best (IMO).

Perhaps we are beginning to see these as "normal" or "regular" now, or our sense of reference is changing.

I'm excited because with UAV's rapidly growing in use and popularity, they will only get better and more affordable in time. That's a good thing.

msinger said:
Bill_Burkert said:
Wait for the competition
And, here lies the big problem. There is no need to race to improve when there are no worthy competitors.

If there are no worthy competitors (and I know they are not the only ones making multirotor), doesn't that means they are the "best" despite the issues? Otherwise we would all have flood to the competitor's product and driving DJI out of the market place, wouldn't it?

Bill_Burkert said:
..Everyone enjoy the holidays, best wishes.
I will and I hope to have weather good enough to fly my Phantom 2.

yawnalot29 said:
msinger said:
Bill_Burkert said:
Wait for the competition
And, here lies the big problem. There is no need to race to improve when there are no worthy competitors.

If there are no worthy competitors (and I know they are not the only ones making multirotor), doesn't that means they are the "best" despite the issues? Otherwise we would all have flood to the competitor's product and driving DJI out of the market place, wouldn't it?
Why, yes, I think you are right. But, I did not create this thread and I don't think a boycott is necessary.

Boycott DJI. Good luck with that. On a forum dedicated to DJI products.

ianwood said:
Boycott DJI. Good luck with that. On a forum dedicated to DJI products.

I don't think an organized boycott against DJI is warranted.

But I have to ask, where would you expect one to go to organise a boycott against DJI?
A Walkera website?
:lol:

msinger said:
And, let's keep in mind that people who are having a good/great experience are not often posting their experience online.
I fall into this group...it has served me well so far after about 8 months and I have not had to deal further with DJI. I am happy with mine.

Khudson7 said:
msinger said:
And, let's keep in mind that people who are having a good/great experience are not often posting their experience online.
I fall into this group...it has served me well so far after about 8 months and I have not had to deal further with DJI. I am happy with mine.

And let's keep in mind that people that jump ship on the DJI hype not often look back, they move on. Also people are reluctant to admit to a $1000 mistake. I am willing to admit it: I made a stupid $1000 mistake buying the P2V. I moved on to better and cheaper options. I can' t be bothered to discuss the magnitude of my mistake with people who won't admit theirs. That is why you do not hear more complaints. Phantompilots is a fan club, not a place to find objective information on which to base a purchase.

"Rant" over.

DKDarkness said:
Khudson7 said:
msinger said:

And let's keep in mind that people that jump ship on the DJI hype not often look back, they move on. Also people are reluctant to admit to a $1000 mistake. I am willing to admit it: I made a stupid $1000 mistake buying the P2V. I moved on to better and cheaper options. I can' t be bothered to discuss the magnitude of my mistake with people who won't admit theirs. That is why you do not hear more complaints. Phantompilots is a fan club, not a place to find objective information on which to base a purchase.

"Rant" over.
Well, I can feel your anger, but I for one, have not had any problem with mine as you apparently have had and would probably quit DJI in a New York minute if I had, but I repeat...for me, it has served me well, I have no complaints. I am happy with my purchase, it has served me well over the last approx. 8 months and I DO use it all the time.

DKDarkness said:
Phantompilots is a fan club, not a place to find objective information on which to base a purchase.

"Rant" over.
You are wrong on that one. If you have been here a while and been involved you will have noticed that it is not a fan club, but is indeed a place where people ask and receive answers... and complain. Fans do not complain or voice frustration at certain aspects related to what they have bought. We are all here because we fly phantoms, apart from the odd troll, but we see the warts and all. Thinking of Ianwoods successful crusade to get the declination problem solved. I for one used this forum in contributing to making an informed descision about my purchase. I for one have proved you wrong on that statement. Most of us are mature adults and make intelligent descisions based on our own assessment of the products in the market place at the time that suits our needs. We cannot be labeled as fans just because we bought a Phantom and are members here. Many of us also are here to help others, and being a 'fan' does not enter into that opportunity to give back some of what we received ourselves.

Bill_Burkert said:
I know most us enjoy the technology

Solution - boycott DJI. Wait for the competition unless you have $2k - $3k of disposalable money to play. I, for one, will wait to play another day.

Ok, let me make sure I understand you.

Your solution is for us to boycott DJI and NOT enjoy the technology?

Or boycott DJI but STILL enjoy the technology? If so, whom do you suggest as a worthy replacement to take our business?

And my point is this: It is not as if we are buying the 2nd "best of its kind" or a comparison between Vizio, Samsung, or Sony here. Given we are already buying the "best of its kind" in this market, the boycott is really a call to abandon the hobby until the technology gets better.

Right? Or did I miss reading something?

Take a look at the facebook Walkera Tali owners page and then you'll love your phantom. ;)

DKDarkness said:
Phantompilots is a fan club, not a place to find objective information on which to base a purchase.

That's cute. And wrong.

dirkclod said:
phantomi said:
Take a look at the facebook Walkera Tali owners page and then you'll love your phantom. ;)
Not on Facebook but did see the picture of it and it looks nice but that one not for me ;) Maybe they have a forum and will look about it but I love my Phantom :D

I said it because in the FB Tali page they mostly post problems with the hexa. There is now a group named Walkera Owners Demanding Answers. :?

Still looking to buy at this point, so what's the consencus on phantom2 with h3 vs an iris+

Considering that this is a DJI forum, the consensus is going to be to go with the Phantom 2.

Hard to say. I see people bashing the phantom on multiple forums.

Phantom hands on
Iris more autonomous?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl