Boosted phantom 3 standard

Telemetry i.e. height, distance, vertical speed, horizontal speed, drone battery, camera settings, etc. are using the 2.4Ghz signal instead of the 5.8Ghz. The 5.8Ghz is only the control. I had used a 5.8Ghz booster only, lost the video and telemetry and the screen freeze but rth didn't kick in and I can feel I still have control of the bird.

so, if I hit the record button on the tablet, that command is passed to the bird via 2.4Ghz?

or if I hit RTH it goes via 2.4Ghz?

so, if I hit the record button on the tablet, that command is passed to the bird via 2.4Ghz?

or if I hit RTH it goes via 2.4Ghz?
Not sure for the record button, but now that I think about it, anything from the remote most likely will transmit using 5.8Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz. As I said, 2.4Ghz is for video feed and telemetry. It didn't RTH when losing the 2.4Ghz signal.

Reactions: Philltayl
Not sure for the record button, but now that I think about it, anything from the remote most likely will transmit using 5.8Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz. As I said, 2.4Ghz is for video feed and telemetry. It didn't RTH when losing the 2.4Ghz signal.
I think he might have been asking it this way. I've read in a thread somewhere, that all inputs from the controller are sent to the bird via 5.8, we all agree there. But here's the rub, inputs from the device cell/tablet (record, RTH, setting RTH height, etc.) are sent to the bird via 2.4. In other words, is the controller just acting as a repeater for the device. Or does the controller take the info from the device via 2.4 and then transmit it to the bird via the 5.8. Are we certain that the wifi in our standards controller only receive data, and never transmit anything via 2.4.

I think he might have been asking it this way. I've read in a thread somewhere, that all inputs from the controller are sent to the bird via 5.8, we all agree there. But here's the rub, inputs from the device cell/tablet (record, RTH, setting RTH height, etc.) are sent to the bird via 2.4. In other words, is the controller just acting as a repeater for the device. Or does the controller take the info from the device via 2.4 and then transmit it to the bird via the 5.8. Are we certain that the wifi in our standards controller only receive data, and never transmit anything via 2.4.
Interesting. If we can transmit some data through 2.4Ghz, that means for my P3 4K, I have 2 option to send RTH request, through remote (5.8Ghz) or through phone/tablet (2.4Ghz) for the same function? quite redundant isn't it, although I like it if there's such option.

Sorry for the noob question, how do you install these? Would I benefit from something like this with my advanced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the noob question, how do you install these? Would I benefit from something like this with my advanced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Installation
Pro and Adv only use the 2.4Ghz. No need for 5.8Ghz. You need to get antenna upgrade (the one that requires you to install the u.fl to rpsma cable, which means you have to open your remote, see the link above) The easiest are DBS Itelite or Maxxrange, install those first and then add boosters in between the remote and the antenna.

Interesting. If we can transmit some data through 2.4Ghz, that means for my P3 4K, I have 2 option to send RTH request, through remote (5.8Ghz) or through phone/tablet (2.4Ghz) for the same function? quite redundant isn't it, although I like it if there's such option.
I'm not saying I know the answer to this question just bring it up for discussion. Wi-Fi is a two-way communication technology, just like the wireless routers in our home they transmit data to our devices and in return our devices transmit data back to the internet via the router. Also being the Wi-Fi is a two-way handshake and request of any missing or corrupt data package to be retransmitted, isn't the two-way communication already taking place on a low-level. And being our devices are connected via Wi-Fi to the remote, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to think it could continue on using Wi-Fi technology.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Let's do an experiment; I did.

If you lose your video signal, it's your 2.4. Your bird won't auto RTH.

If you lose your 5.8, your bird will RTH.
If you have an external antenna setup, unplug your 5.8 wire from the antenna while flying. Your bird will RTH.
Do the same with your 2.4, and you will just lose video, no auto RTH.

To manually invoke RTH, either from app or controller. I don't believe you are "sending" any command. Rather, you are cutting the signal entirely which will make the bird come home. Otherwise, how would auto RTH work if you have no signal?

Reactions: Procharged97
On your first point about losing a signal, video vs control. I wouldn't think that has an influence on what I'm asking, because the programing could just be set up to do a RTH when only the RC signal is lost. On your second point about "Otherwise, how would auto RTH work if you have no signal?" Because the failsafe (RTH when RC signal is lost) it's part of the FW in the drone. The home point is recorded in the drone itself. That's why you can turn the RC off completely and it comes home, but only after a full three seconds. I disagree that hitting a RTH button or switch is not sending a command, and cutting the signal to activate the RTH. Because you still have the telemetry and flight control the whole time it's returning back. Anyway what about other app function, like recording, taking a pic or changing the Home point location. This info needs to get to the drone somehow, is it via wifi 2.4 or RC 5.8?

Last edited:
Let's do an experiment; I did.

If you lose your video signal, it's your 2.4. Your bird won't auto RTH.

If you lose your 5.8, your bird will RTH.
If you have an external antenna setup, unplug your 5.8 wire from the antenna while flying. Your bird will RTH.
Do the same with your 2.4, and you will just lose video, no auto RTH.

To manually invoke RTH, either from app or controller. I don't believe you are "sending" any command. Rather, you are cutting the signal entirely which will make the bird come home. Otherwise, how would auto RTH work if you have no signal?
i heard dont turn the control on with antenna disconnected

Reactions: WilliamM
Guys/Girls

What I was asking is what is transmitted from the controller on which frequency and what is the bird transmitting on which frequency??

Does the bird even have a 5.8Ghz transmitter and if it has what is it used for?

Guys/Girls

What I was asking is what is transmitted from the controller on which frequency and what is the bird transmitting on which frequency??

Does the bird even have a 5.8Ghz transmitter and if it has what is it used for?

2.4 - video
5.8 - control

Have a silly question about adding a amp to the wifi 2.4 side of my DBS mod. On the RC side 5.8, it would be without question that the side of the amp marked "radio" (input end) is connected to the RC as that's the signal we want to increase. But on the wifi 2.4 side isn't the opposite true, that the signal we want to increase is the signal the antenna is picking up. So do we reverse the amp? By putting the input end (marked radio) to the DBS antenna. I've yet to read this in any treads, but it has me thinking.

Have a silly question about adding a amp to the wifi 2.4 side of my DBS mod. On the RC side 5.8, it would be without question that the side of the amp marked "radio" (input end) is connected to the RC as that's the signal we want to increase. But on the wifi 2.4 side isn't the opposite true, that the signal we want to increase is the signal the antenna is picking up. So do we reverse the amp? By putting the input end (marked radio) to the DBS antenna. I've yet to read this in any treads, but it has me thinking.

Good question and I don't know the answer. But, I do know that I have both of my 2.4's and my 5.8 "to antenna" go the DBS and the "to radio" to the controller.
I just did a four mile run yesterday. Seems to work fine.

Good question and I don't know the answer. But, I do know that I have both of my 2.4's and my 5.8 "to antenna" go the DBS and the "to radio" to the controller.
I just did a four mile run yesterday. Seems to work fine.
Yes, that's what I figured how everyone did it. But it dawned on me when reading a thread on booters of the P3S and someone posted the question that on the wifi signal wouldn't the drone be the part that needed a amp (not the RC), as it's a data downlink to the controller. The person that replied answered, just think of it as a hearing aid for you controller, that's way it works being on the controller end. That's what got me thinking about which way the amp would need to be installed to act as a booster for the wifi signal coming FROM the drone to the RC.

Last edited:
Correct, but considering that the drone itself may crash, lost, caught by bird of prey, etc. Most people think it's not a worthy investment to be put on the drone side and will increase weight, hence shorter range. Maybe just change the antenna to a slightly higher dbi gain.
What would be a good bird side antenna. When using a itelite panel antenna?

Sent from my Leap using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Procharged97

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie