BOCA Lightning bearings MOD!

Good to ear from ya fella! Thanks for checking in.
I had just been over to ebay and checked out their feedback and it twernt so pretty :(

So I had all but written them off.
Thanks a million for the reply.
Glad to hear they're working for ya.

With ONLY 50 or so flights (maybe less) on this new Phantom, I'm kinda surprised the motors are needing replacing so I don't want to keep doing this every 50 flights. Not sure how some go 200 flights or more.....10 second flights maybe? :)

Anyway....I'm gonna order a set of standard motors just to get me back in the air, then rebuild the existing motors potentially with the better bearings.

Thanks again.

JK-D

Yes,
Open them up, and scrape that blue crap out of them, as the grooves between the magnets are for airflow, helps cool the motors, 3 of my stock motors had it all in them, just poor quality control I guess? Plus DJI stock bearings are crap, I bought the DJI replacement bearing and clip set, tested them, weren't much better than my bad ones, that is why I went to boca. But I love them! Bit too pricey, but in the end the piece of mind is worth the squid!

J Dot

Reactions: JKDSensei
Sounds like great advice.

I do wonder tho....what is that blue goo?

Who builds these things anyway?

tumblr_inline_ng74c0LMnm1s5o8br.jpg

I have no idea, on either. Lol another MASS produced pile of crap, but they do provide tons of fun, while they last. I was thinking of upgrading to t motors, but I'm saving for a 360 degree camera right now. For my bird, it allows you to watch my videos, but you can literally look around in my video. Super cool, I can be talking, and you take your phone, spin it around, and the video moves with you, so you could be looking around my house as I'm talking to you. If you have an apple device ( iPhone iPad ect ) go to YouTube search 360degree camera, and check it out, totally amazing! $800 price tag though, so P3p on hold for now! Want this more!

Jd

**** with test results like that, it means longer flight times, more speed... **** I'm changing my bearings, I have a brand new set from Fast Eddy's that are ceramic and just as good.. Thanks

Reactions: J Dot
Odd thing....

When I went to BocaBearings.com and looked up the kit H26-01C-OS, it seems to say 7 pieces instead of eight?

Odd thing....

When I went to BocaBearings.com and looked up the kit H26-01C-OS, it seems to say 7 pieces instead of eight?

Not sure what that is about? I just went there, and searched ( Phantom vision ) brings up all 3 kits ( basic, midrange, high end ) $40-$88 depending on which kit? But I assure you I got all 8 bearings in my kit!

Hope this helps!
J Dot

Yeah, I'm (fairly) certain that's just a typo.
So would you do the ceramic bearings again?

That spin test was amazing. As long as they last seems well worth it.

Yes
Definitely, over 3x longer spins, and 20+ degrees cooler motors! Plus I found out the ceramic bearings are maintenance free, I bought the lube, but guy from boca says it won't hurt, but not needed! I did it anyway, and will still drop a drop on them once a year, or more? I'm completely happy with them! I just built another phantom 2 vision out of spare parts, and unfortunately, my budget did not let me splurge on the FANCY $88 ones, I went the EL Cheapo route, boca basics $38 set, I was pleasantly surprised, as I loaded them with the Lightning lube (as they are steel ) not ceramic, and upon liftoff, it is actually quieter than my other vision with ceramics?
But I will say this bird is 100% stock, where my other is fully modded, with all kinds of stuff, plus added weight, may account for the noise increase?
But the budget kit seem WAY better quality than stock DJI replacements!
So I'm cool with BOTH sets, but TIME will tell! Waiting for 1st failure to happen before I start complaining! Lol.:rolleyes:

J Dot!

Reactions: JKDSensei
JaJa!
I'm glad to hear they're working out. I have what I suspect is a resonance coming from poor quality bearing races in two of my motors on my P1. Ironically, just as you discovered with yours, those two motors run hotter than the other two. One runs hotter than all the rest. It also makes more vibration. So, I bought 4 new motors but haven't installed them yet. Keeping an eye on the heat and Jello.

Did you ever have jello or any resonance or audible vibrations before the new bearings and if so, did it go away after installing the Boca Bearings??

I don't want to do this again so I'm inclined to go with the $88 set of Boca Bearings.
When I take the motors apart I'll replace any with major flaws from my new set.

And will definitely clean out the Smurf goo. I wonder if that was factory lube?

Please contact me through PM if you have any type of failure with those Boca Bearings.

Did not notice any jello effect,
Just one motor extremely hot!
As for the BLUE GOO! It is " DYNAWEIGHT " they use it to factory balance the bell! I did not know that when I removed mine. I did however, rebalance them with aluminum tape on outside of bell! I would only scrape any heavy stuff, or anything interfering with motor operation, then rebalance after!
And yeah $88 ones are the best they got at the moment, I just did not have the extra to spend this month, 2 birthdays, and an anniversary! Fun fun fun! Lol I will definitely keep you posted on its progress, I still do pre flight checks, and check heat on all motors periodically! Take care, have a GREAT DAY!:D

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
Well Happy anniversary Jerry !!
Maybe she will give ya a Lap Top so ya will have a bigger screen ! ;)

Well two b-days AND your anniversary...yep...I can see how now's not the time for J-Dot toys.
Happy Anniversary & I wish you a speedy recovery :)

Thanks a BUNCH Guys,
I appreciate it, the funny part, our anniversary, is also my youngest son's birthday! Yep anniversary baby! ( 8 yrs ago )! So I'm out of the limelight, on that one, but you know. I always pull something out of my little bag of tricks! Happy Wife, Happy LIFE! And stay true to my motto:
SMILE & NOD!, smile and nod!:rolleyes:
She is great, and deserves something nice on a special day, chicks dig that stuff, I'd be happy just FLYING!:D

J Dot

So JDot have you flown with the new bearings? What were the results? I thinking of doing this mod to increase range and duration without the extra weigh of additional batteries.

Ok, so I ordered 3x8x4 bearings but they are too small. Shaft diameter of my P2V+ is .140" and the 384's are about .115" and .314 overall diameter is too small also. Any idea what's happening here? Stock original P2V+

Ok, so I ordered 3x8x4 bearings but they are too small. Shaft diameter of my P2V+ is .140" and the 384's are about .115" and .314 overall diameter is too small also. Any idea what's happening here? Stock original P2V+

The plus with upgraded 2312 motors use different size bearings than the p2v ( 2212 ) motors,
The plus motors utilize 2 different size bearings in each motor, a smaller bearing and a larger bearing!
I'll have to dig for the sizes, as boca did not offer a kit for the plus or p3/p4 models, I had them custom make me a few sets! I'll dig now and get back to you with correct bearing sizes! Brb!

J Dot
:cool:

Ok,
Took some searching back to June 2016, lol
But here you go
IMG_1257.PNG

There are several different bearings in that size, I found the ZZ bearings to be the best for the price!
But I believe even the cheaper ones are still better than stock DJI!

J Dot
:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik