Boat video is washed out

Reaction score
Just wondering what are better settings for capturing 4k on the open waters.
In particular, the boat is washed out?
Using mavic pro.

Just wondering what are better settings for capturing 4k on the open waters.
In particular, the boat is washed out?
That depends on the cause of the issue.
The boat is washed out because the settings used allowed more light than necessary to get to the sensor - the image is overexposed.
Are you seeing all your stills/videos and live view looking washed out or just one video?
If it's just a one-off incident, the solution is to use proper exposure settings.
If you are seeing it all the time, the most common cause is that you have accidentally set the exposure compensation to overexpose beyond what the metering suggests.
You can check to confirm that by looking at the line of camera data in the upper part of your screen.
It looks like this:
i-QwxDW3r-M.jpg

If the number under EV is more than zero, you need to dial that back to zero

There is a lot of glare from the sun that is reflected from the surface of the water
That's why it is so easy to get sun burnt when you're in a boat.
I would suggest using a polarising and / or UV filter on your lens to help minimise the glare

Last edited:
There is a lot of glare from the sun that is reflected from the surface of the water
That's why it is so easy to get sun burnt when you're in a boat.
I would suggest using a polarising and / or UV filter on your lens to help minimise the glare
The problem is incorrect exposure settings, not glare.

I'm with @Meta4 that you need to review your settings.

Keep in mind that there's not a lot you can do to salvage a washed out pic/video (The data just wasn't captured) but if you know what you're doing you can usually salvage if it's slightly too dark.

It looks like that's just a screen shot from a movie.... I was hoping to see your DATA in the picture but it's not there.

Pictures taken over the water are usually overexposed as the camera compensate the lack of light which is partly absorbed in the water. Well - the water is exposed correctly but al objects on he water will be overexposed if they are brighter than the water. You should put the exposer compensation more than -0.3. Perhaps -0.7 or -1.0 depends on how bright is the object in the water. If you go to higher negative values over -1.5 or even more, you'll get water almost black but bright object will be exposed correctly. Usually there must be a compromise somewhere in between. No general recip. try and see.
The opposite situation is with objects in the snow. The camera tends to underexpose everything except the snow. The polarising filter would be useful in both situations.

Reactions: BigAl07
Gotta watch your histogram when recording... if you have your shutter at ~twice your FPS, have iso all the way down, have aperature stopped down/ closed down all the way F/11 or however high it goes, and your histogram still shows highlights blown out, you’re going to need ND Filters. Then you’ll have to edit in post to bring up the shadows and underexposed areas...

Edited to say if you’re going to correct in post, set your WB to custom not auto. You don’t want it changing all over the place, that’ll make it harder to edit

Good luck, still learning myself so practice makes perfect!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav