Black Bear (first one I've ever seen)

Three properties from mine, they filmed a bear Friday morning in an open field. My cousin came by my place going to work on his BMW bike and he saw what at first he thought was a black lab coming from my yard. He said, no, it's a bear and I'm 10 ft. from it on my bike. Lol. I see them, but
they don't hang around for me to get a picture. That was a good video and a great opportunity to shoot one. I love reading his body language.
I got a drone video of some turkeys I never posted. Surprised me, they weren't too skittish.

Reactions: Insights Elevated
Seems very small to me. At first, I thought it was a rat. How big is it?

Very nice!

Great work, i do have a question, why was he going into the woods?
Seriously, impressed though.
Attached is as close as i get to bears, not even a koala Bear.
Thanks for sharing your Bear.

Attachments

• DJI_0017.JPG
    DJI_0017.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 80
Well the bear seems pretty chilled about the whole thing and makes sure you get their best side. Probably bring all their friends next time.

Nice that you didn't get too close, but toward the end he/she seemed to be looking for feathers on that drone.
Yeah I didnt want to bother him thats why I zoomed in. He would of swatted me down Id say or maybe he would have ran lol. I didn't wanna risk my little buddy though.

They are not near as large as your brown bear. 500 to 600 lbs. US.
Most of the ones that visit me are 200-300 lbs. The one in the photo is 350-400 lbs. I was surprised to find out that although grizzly bears are much larger, almost about as many people have been killed by black bears in the USA in the last 50 years...... about 55 deaths by black bear, 70 by grizzly bear. I have 1-5 bears in my yard daily and have never really felt threatened by a single one. They are beautiful animals, just a bit of a nusance.

Neither one comes close to killing the numbers of people that the most deadly animal does annually .... the mosquito which kills 750,000 people a year, 600,000 by malaria or the second most deadly animal.... human beings, which kill 425,000 people annually.

Most of the ones that visit me are 200-300 lbs. The one in the photo is 350-400 lbs. I was surprised to find out that although grizzly bears are much larger, almost about as many people have been killed by black bears in the USA in the last 50 years...... about 55 deaths by black bear, 70 by grizzly bear. I have 1-5 bears in my yard daily and have never really felt threatened by a single one. They are beautiful animals, just a bit of a nusance.

Neither one comes close to killing the numbers of people that the most deadly animal does annually .... the mosquito which kills 750,000 people a year, 600,000 by malaria or the second most deadly animal.... human beings, which kill 425,000 people annually.
There are about 15 times as many black bears as grizzlies, so there is a greater chance of an encounter.
I have had more encounters with black bears than I can remember. Stupid or ignorance is the #1cause of getting hurt by a black bear. I was a scout leader and pushed back packing and survival. Don't get between momma and her cubs. Bears are opportunist when it comes to food. Don't have food or mints/gum in your tent. I have never felt threatened by a black bear in all my encounters. I just talk to them to let them know I am there and they go their way. One of my scouts broke the food in tent rule. The bear was trying to get into his tent. The boy went ballistic. We all had a heart attack from his screaming. He scared the bear also. Bears don't want to be around us, except the ones that are being fed by tourists in the smokies. Grizzly stand their ground when surprised. My uncle Kovach grew up in the Yellowstone park area. His favorite fishing hole was a two day trip by horse back. He told me he never sees a grizzly. He puts bells on the horses and the grizzly stay away.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic