Black bars at top and bottom of video

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I own a Phantom 4 Pro. When shooting video I get black bars at the top and bottom of the video in some of the shots. It doesn't happen in all of the shots, which makes me think that there must be a button that I'm accidentally pushing on the controller that's causing this to happen.

See images below. The top one has black bars on the top and bottom of the shot. The bottom one does not. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 11.57.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 11.54.00 AM.png

Reactions: Capt KO
I'm guessing it's a mixture of aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9, etc) and resolution (720x540, 1920X1080, etc) as these settings affect the screen size and image size. So maybe your footage is shot at different settings and/or your render/upload settings are different in the clips. Or maybe you zoomed the second clip in editing which would fill the screen in some scenarios if the clips had the same settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
Hey Folks,

I own a Phantom 4 Pro. When shooting video I get black bars at the top and bottom of the video in some of the shots. It doesn't happen in all of the shots, which makes me think that there must be a button that I'm accidentally pushing on the controller that's causing this to happen.

See images below. The top one has black bars on the top and bottom of the shot. The bottom one does not. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

View attachment 117454View attachment 117455
I get the same thing, but all the time.

Did you fix it? If so, how? Kind of driving me crazy

as grone said, it is likely the resolution setting. do you shoot 4k?
so there may be different frame sizes, 3840 x 2160 or 4096 x 2160 .
The top one was likely 4096 x2160. The bottom one at 3840.
Youtube likes 3840, so it works as is. If you upload the 4096 they proportionly narrow it to 3840 and that reduces the vertical to 2025. so they add black bars top and bottom.
With editing software you can create a project that is 3840 x 2160 . This allows you to mix the resolutions and render to what youtube likes.

as grone said, it is likely the resolution setting. do you shoot 4k?
so there may be different frame sizes, 3840 x 2160 or 4096 x 2160 .
The top one was likely 4096 x2160. The bottom one at 3840.
Youtube likes 3840, so it works as is. If you upload the 4096 they proportionly narrow it to 3840 and that reduces the vertical to 2025. so they add black bars top and bottom.
With editing software you can create a project that is 3840 x 2160 . This allows you to mix the resolutions and render to what youtube likes.
I read that response, then tried various settings; chiefly UHD (3840), but the top bar remained
I use the 3840 using the MPZoom, and I don't have black bars, so...?

Which setting do you use to eliminate the bars?

I read that response, then tried various settings; chiefly UHD (3840), but the top bar remained
I use the 3840 using the MPZoom, and I don't have black bars, so...?

Which setting do you use to eliminate the bars?
Are you uploading video to youtube as 3840 x 2160 mp4 ? And that is where you see bars?

I was responding for the youtube video question by the OP. I think he is mixing resolutions , possibly on a 4096 x 2160 project.
So Ruckert, where are you seeing the black bars? and you say " but the top bar remained " are you only seeing a top bar and not a bottom bar?

I was responding for the youtube video question by the OP. I think he is mixing resolutions , possibly on a 4096 x 2160 project.
So Ruckert, where are you seeing the black bars? and you say " but the top bar remained " are you only seeing a top bar and not a bottom bar?
No. Top and bottom. In a response to me the OP wrote specifically of a top bar for 4096, and bottom bar for 3840

I see the bars when I upload from SD card to computer, and before processing, so they are native. They are short in height, so they are not typical added letterbox. I realize letterbox can vary and user custom, but I did not add letterbox.

the bars are not pure black either, rather a dark charcoal approaching black. I'm aware of the black letter box.

I've tried all combinations of 4K, and UHD each with 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, and yet the bars remain, always. Not sure I understand how aspect ratio affects the video, but I'm not an expert, so...

My Mavic Pro Zoom does not have these bars. I only recently acquire the P4A, so I'm trying to figure out how they got in the video.

The stock footage house I upload the video to, is rejecting the videos because of what they are calling letterbox.

Last edited:
Ok, strange.
You said " I've tried all combinations of 4K, and UHD each with 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, and yet the bars remain, always. Not sure I understand how aspect ratio affects the video, but I'm not an expert, so... "
The native video you shoot at 4096 x2160 isn't 16:9 but the 3840 x 2160 is.
You certainly shouldn't be getting any 4:3 or 3:2
Do you do any editing to the footage?
What format does the stock footage house want?
Although a bit more work, you could edit the footage and remove the bars by setting the edit project to match their needs then adjust the video to suit.
Sorry if I'm going over info you already know.
I don't have issue your getting.
Possibly a firmware or GO app version related issue.
I use a program called Mediainfo to get the data on the video file if I don't know the source.
You could check the file from the MP Zoom and compare to the P4.

Ok, strange.
You said " I've tried all combinations of 4K, and UHD each with 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, and yet the bars remain, always. Not sure I understand how aspect ratio affects the video, but I'm not an expert, so... "
The native video you shoot at 4096 x2160 isn't 16:9 but the 3840 x 2160 is.
You certainly shouldn't be getting any 4:3 or 3:2
Do you do any editing to the footage?
What format does the stock footage house want?
Although a bit more work, you could edit the footage and remove the bars by setting the edit project to match their needs then adjust the video to suit.
Sorry if I'm going over info you already know.
I don't have issue your getting.
Possibly a firmware or GO app version related issue.
I use a program called Mediainfo to get the data on the video file if I don't know the source.
You could check the file from the MP Zoom and compare to the P4.
I appreciate your help.
I just got off chat with DJI. they recommend resetting the camera settings.
I'll give that a try first

Ok, wonder if you could get back to us, what resolves the issue.
Thanks
I will.

Update: camera reset did NOT remove the black bars.

I tested my M2Zoom uploaded to stock footage site, and no black bars.
I will test the P4A tomorrow and upload to stock footage site to see if black bars are still there. I'd do it, now, but out of daylight

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.