Bit the Bullet: Cinewing 6HL on Order

• Thread starter Deleted member 6917
  • Start date
ericdes said:
It will be pretty hard to plea you have no money for an attorney when you are flying a 20000$ UAV.

Anyways my intent in this conversation was to ensure the poster gets all the bells and whistles are worked out in his "contract" to the "buyer" before hand. If he cannot charge for the footage in flight, only the editing, transfer, etc... What happens if someone brings their own card? What if someone brings a laptop with him and wants the transfer done at the end of the flight? Charge him how much now?

You see you can work your way around, but so can a customer. It would be sad if there is a loophole around what he is trying to accomplish.

Make it a package deal. "No ticky, no laundry."

What has become of the land of the free? If only there was a way to un-invent lawyers. That said it would reduce the entertainment value for the rest of the world listening to the whining in threads like these... ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That's why I like living here ;)
But-I think we've gotten a bit too much off topic.
I'd kinda like to hear more about the Cinewing 6HL. This "debate" is going on in numerous other threads...so, I'm done posting on this one. I think everyone got the point I was trying to make.

Proof is in the pudding as they say, so we'll see how this develops. The fact remains that so far, the FAA has not successfully prosecuted or collected a fine for anyone on the mentioned guidelines. One person was cited and another one had a fine of $10,000 "recommended". Neither case has resulted in any citations. The FAA has, so far, done nothing but pass paperwork. Yet.

Mike

I just ordered the turbo ace 830 that I plan on doing some commercial work with also. I am trying to do it on more of a budget, and plan on using an EOS-M with a single axi gimbal much like the P2V. I have already fugured out how to wire the gimbal and fire the camera I just need to order the iOSD mini and FPV system and get it all working.
As far as the FAA is concerned what I don't understand is, if they do decide to prosecute, and the regulations don't exist then what would you be prosecuted for. I am aware of quite few photogrphers and especially commercial videographers using this technology, frankly I'm of the opinion that if they don't do something soon then it will probably be to late.

By Peter Corbett
The Republic | azcentral.com
Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:20 AM
Valley real-estate photographers are using drones to shoot aerial shots of residential properties despite a federal ban on the use of unmanned aircraft.

Using lightweight radio-controlled helicopters to shoot photos and videos that show homes in context to neighbors, golf courses and other nearby landmarks, the photographers are finding ways to work around federal rules.

“Technically, I can’t charge for any of the flying,” said Luke Pierzina of Aerial Raiders. “I charge for editing.”

Commercial use of unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs, is expected to be an emerging line of business worth billions of dollars within a few years.

HA HA HA.... I have done lots of FAA regulatory work on behalf of clients. Your comments remind me of a defense that a private pilot made to an FAA administrative proceeding. The FAA charged of commercial flying without being a properly licensed commercial pilot. Pilot's defense was that he was just sharing the cost of operating the aircraft (including variable and fixed costs, such as depreciation, etc.). Well, it did not work. Lesson learned: Before pushing the envelope, it is good to find out exactly how far you can push it without crossing the line. :D :D

rmklaw said:
By Peter Corbett
The Republic | azcentral.com
Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:20 AM
Valley real-estate photographers are using drones to shoot aerial shots of residential properties despite a federal ban on the use of unmanned aircraft.

Using lightweight radio-controlled helicopters to shoot photos and videos that show homes in context to neighbors, golf courses and other nearby landmarks, the photographers are finding ways to work around federal rules.

“Technically, I can’t charge for any of the flying,” said Luke Pierzina of Aerial Raiders. “I charge for editing.”

Commercial use of unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs, is expected to be an emerging line of business worth billions of dollars within a few years.

HA HA HA.... I have done lots of FAA regulatory work on behalf of clients. Your comments remind me of a defense that a private pilot made to an FAA administrative proceeding. The FAA charged of commercial flying without being a properly licensed commercial pilot. Pilot's defense was that he was just sharing the cost of operating the aircraft (including variable and fixed costs, such as depreciation, etc.). Well, it did not work. Lesson learned: Before pushing the envelope, it is good to find out exactly how far you can push it without crossing the line. :D :D

As previously pointed out, there is no line currently! The FAA is doing nothing but trying scare tactics to slow down the drone industry until they can make legislation for it. They are trying to argue that you are a "pilot" of a "commercial craft". They can't even successfully argue the former (being a "pilot") which, IMO, is the reason they have yet to successfully prosecute anyone on any of these drone statements (that some are calling laws).

Mike

Did not know that I would open up such a can of worms! Wow! So many mixed opinions about the FAA and their rulings made over 35 years ago...Yes, the guy at UVA was sited for a 10,000 fine....but last press release I read he is still in business and charging for it...so enough said about FAA and regulations....My craft is being assembled this week with completion by the end of next week and test flying by the Turbo Ace geeks...who will also be video taping all of the TX settings and links for FPV etc....except the one control, which is manual mode...guess they have not learned to fly yet...they just build these things to spec! I shipped them today my data link module for waypoint flying...which I already owned and did not want to pay for another one...I will have to upload all the data required to set up the data link system...I am still studying this seemingly complicated matter...downloaded the app. to my iPad mini and guess I will need to set up all the ground station settings, etc.....Any help out there would be grateful? I gave them a deposit until they build the craft and send me the test video flight(s)....then I will pay the balance and they will ship....probably in a couple of weeks maximum...Also studying on Point of Interest.....and flying craft from the pilots position setting...no matter which is the front end or the back...so much to learn...but I will get there. Thanks for all the posts you guys have made. Keep em flying...and make some great videos!

Cool....just keep us updated on your aircraft, and I'll still subscribe.
As for the FAA-let's just stop that. We've beat that horse to death so many times now......just roll tape, and show us what ya got.

After much phone tic tacking back and forth with Turbo Ace in CA my Cinewing 6HL made its video test flight today. I was dropboxed the videos and just wanted to share its maiden voyage with you guys. They will be shipping on Monday so I should have in my hands by the end of next week. Hopefully I will be able to shoot some test footage for myself next weekend. The following week I will be traveling to FL to stay on a house boat for a week in the St. Johns River near Daytona. I will be packing all of my numerous camera gear for a documentary on the migrating wildlife and especially the manatee hanging around the warm springs. Should be interesting. Any advise on Ground Station and waypoint flying would be appreciated. Thanks.
https://vimeo.com/88540010

Any advise on Ground Station and waypoint flying would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is a bit of a learning curve with that, even with the iPad interface but moreso on the PC version, and there's not a whole lot of shortcuts to get around it. What I would suggest is that you get some test/practice time in with the GS before heading to the houseboat, it's not just a "plug it in and make a few clicks before you take off" solution (though DJI would like to give you that impression).

Any video sample? I would ask for that speaking from experience with them with my Matrix. I would want to see the footage, fpv and monitor working together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I did receive video samples from the drone. The camera they used was very low end but the video itself was very amazingly stable. I do like that I can rotate the gimbal 360. I will not be taking Cinewing to FL with me and using ground station, only the Phantom 2 Vision with dronexpert gimbal will be packed.....not going to risk that type of dough on punching in a wrong number and watch it crash in the river! It will take some time and I am not pushing the learning curve. Thanks.

Well after 4 weeks Fedex arrived today with 78 lbs in three boxes. It is a brute...a couple of hours attaching the gimbal putting on the props, unpacking the chargers and charging, reading the manual for the Futaba and the Cinewing. A couple of phone calls to Turbo Ace with questions and it is going to be a challenge. Have not figured out one thing and will have to wait until Monday for a reply....the FPV monitor is supposed to overlay the flight data...but I can not figure it out as well as how to set the POI and the ground station settings. It will take more research....any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• cinewing 6HL.jpg
    cinewing 6HL.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 348
I would make sure you have a strong comfort level with flying and controlling it yourself before sending it off on autonomous missions...you never know when you might have take over during an autopiloted flight.

Remind me which flight controller you have, and which OSD..? Do you see video from the camera but no OSD data? Are there even indicators visible where the data should be?

As for learning GS and POI operation, the manual for it is about the best way to do it. There's a practice environment built in to the GS software, so you can learn how to create waypoints and string them together in to full missions without risking anything. Unfortunately the PC interface is rather cumbersome and raw, but once you get through the full process at least once or twice it'll be much easier.

Thanks for the help guys, Old Photography, The flight controller is the DJI A2 and a second R7008SB telemtry voltage sensor installed. So I guess that the only telementry data I will get will be the battery on the craft. No altitude no sattelites no compass heading? I have a call into them for tomorrow to get those questions asked. I did extend the landing skids 4" with 1/2" pvc and black insulation for a more stable platform. I saw this skid set up on another Cinewing in a video. It sits much better on the foam and pvc than the the little 1/4" carbon fiber rod. I will not be using GS anytime soon...right now just concentrating on making my first flight and checking everything out....did a tie down yesterday and fired it up...really purrs. One thing I am concerned about is that when the throttle is all the way down and I make a turn on the right stick the motors stop....that to me has a potential for disaster. If I cut up the trim tab on the throttle it relieve that situation then I can not cut off the motors. I do not like the left throttle stick not returning to center...It will take some getting used to after flying the Phantom for several months. Thanks all.

Attachments

• Cinewing skids.jpg
    Cinewing skids.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 530
I also added three lights for better orientation and for camera gimbal ( since it rotates 180 degrees ) Two white lights ( one blinking and one all time white ) on the back side of drone and one red blinking on the camera gimbal. Just trying to get things in order for the first flight in a couple of days....raining and windy here today.

Attachments

• Cinewing lights.jpg
    Cinewing lights.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 314
Made my first maiden flight today with the Cinewing 6HL. A little scary but all went well. A little disappointed in the video jello effect but that is just another thing to eliminate.
https://vimeo.com/89445711

My Matrix had some jello. I balanced the props and it was gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik