Bird swarm surprise.

Reaction score
I have recently started to take video and photos of old bridges. The last few times that I have tried to photograph these old bridges, especially over water, I have been swarmed by what appears to be Peregrine Falcons. The swarms have been so thick, that I have abandoned my flights so that I would not harm any of these beautiful birds, and that I would not lose my Phantom 4. I went on-line and discovered this species feeds on other species of birds, and attacks by dive bombing its prey. From what I have read online, I’m going to have to wait until mid-July to resume my bridge photos. That is when the breeding season is over for this species. I am from southeast Texas and wonder if anyone else out there has experienced this recently.

Attachments

• falcon.jpg
    falcon.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 706
These are a species of swallow. Hard to tell which one from the photo. Barn swallows? Depending on the species, they like to build mud nests under bridges. Peregrine Falcons do not "swarm", they are a solo bird unless it's breeding time. In fact, no birds "swarm". They may flock together to migrate or to feed as the birds in your photo are doing.

Last edited:
These are a species of swallow. Hard to tell which one from the photo. Barn swallows? Depending on the species, they like to build mud nests under bridges. Peregrine Falcons do not "swarm", they are a solo bird unless it's breeding time. In fact, no birds "swarm". They may flock together to migrate or to feed as the birds in your photo are doing.

Starlings " swarm". It's called murmuration.

Reactions: crohead13
Whatever species they are, they kept dive bombing my Phantom 4. They came so close, I had to abort the flight. I didn’t want to hurt the birds or lose my Phantom.

Reactions: gringorio
I've never been swarmed but I did have a Raven pay some interest in my drone...
Raven and Drone

One type of barn swallow is pictured here. Without the extended tailfeathers, the pix would look very much like the ones in the swarm.

Attachments

• imagesDQCYN7KB.jpg
    imagesDQCYN7KB.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 398
I had a similar issue, with the same (or similar) bird breed. I just know them as "swallows". While they got very close to my Spark, they never made contact. I think they were just "warning" me. Light Inspection w/birds

Just today I saw a grey streak followed by a black swarm... the neighbours old pussycat (15 year old) can still fair shift over fences and into sanctuary of bedroom window. The black swarm was about 20 young Jackdaws objecting to presence of cat spying out the goody crumbs and crusts in the dumpster. ??

Hello for everyone! Because there are attacks on my drone from swallows, give an idea of what can be lined up or skins for drone which would stop the attacks from the birds - it is dangerous for them and for drone. My drone is Phantom 3 /4K - white. Thank you!
Regards from sunny Bulgaria!

Attachments

• DJI_0003.MP4.00_01_51_19.Still001.jpg
    DJI_0003.MP4.00_01_51_19.Still001.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 242
I've had some experiences with birds. The bird deterrent I use is a couple of menacing eyes on the top shell and a strobe light mounted in the middle. Birds generally attack from above and behind and prefer to do it when their target isn't looking at them. And the strobe causes flash spots in their vision, which they don't know how to deal with. The last time I was flying in a field, a swarm of Barn Swallows showed up to harass me, but they all seemed to kept their distance as they most;y flew above me.

Attachments

• strobe location.jpg
    strobe location.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: MTO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers