Bird down! UPDATE on PG 5

Re: Bird down!

offtosleep said:
BTW, anyone recommend a dealer that is worth a darn? I know moose said his dealer helped him out....any similar stories of hope?

yeah..good for moose and his LHS/dealer.

Did you check to see where the app said it was via find my phantom? It would have been interesting to see what that location was vs where the real location was in reality. Where did you find it at (e.g. woods, field, park, busy street in downtown :) )?

i believe the OP said the battery on the V+ was already dead..it flyaway till the battery was dead and crashed. so i guess find my phantom would not work.

Aqeel200 said:
i believe the OP said the battery on the V+ was already dead..it flyaway till the battery was dead and crashed. so i guess find my phantom would not work.

Ahhh, good call. Dang, this is one of the first occurrences I've read where somebody actually had a fly away with a gps tracker on it.

Aqeel200 said:
offtosleep said:
BTW, anyone recommend a dealer that is worth a darn? I know moose said his dealer helped him out....any similar stories of hope?

yeah..good for moose and his LHS/dealer.

Unlike Moose, I unfortunately do not have a Local Hobby Dealer (LHS). Mail order is my only option is rural America. That is another thing that sucks about this fly-away.....I was in the middle of no-where with zero EMI/wi-fi, etc.

Aqeel200 said:

YES! The battery was dead when I finally found it. Thus no way to check the "find my phantom."

then its best to contact DJI North America. Give it a shot, you might gain something.

Aqeel200 said:
then its best to contact DJI North America. Give it a shot, you might gain something.

I did contact DJI North America and got a non-specific bot generated case number.

We'll see what happens.

I still think I'm going to leave it listed for sale for now. I'll see what comes of it and keep everyone posted.

Just to weigh in on this Flyaway issue ....
The evidence suggests to me that the Phantom is not the issue.
I was, for quite a number of years, a licensed single-engine, fixed-wing pilot.
And in this, I by no means intend to cast any aspersions.
But there are a number of humans who will "short-cut" even the most critical of processes .... where even their own lives hang in the balance.

I have witnessed pilots who did not pre-flight a plane .... choosing instead to check only a few of the many items on a standard checklist .... all in the name of getting into the air as soon as was possible.

Even I, as a student pilot .... feeling myself after only 8-9 hours, failed to refer my printed pre-flight plan, choosing to rely on memory instead, something I'm grateful my flight instructor saw. He allowed me to begin my takeoff roll, and when unable to rotate at speed, he barked about my failure to set my rudder trim to T/O position - something that could have cost me my rear-end.

When Cirrus Aircraft company launched an aircraft model that included a CAPS (their term) system that deployed a giant parachute if the plane went out of control (pilot initiated), all that did was encourage many pilots to take crazy chances (especially flying into known hazardous weather conditions), even with their Families aboard, that they might otherwise not have taken .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-QUVen9Ng

So, with this in mind, I'm saying I don't believe there is THAT much variation in DJI's production process allowing a lot a people to experience bliss, and a fairly large number despair.

It's been said before, but THIS IS NOT A TOY. Check your pre-flight process.

bobomet said:
Just to weigh in on this Flyaway issue ....
The evidence suggests to me that the Phantom is not the issue.
I was, for quite a number of years, a licensed single-engine, fixed-wing pilot.
And in this, I by no means intend to cast any aspersions.
But there are a number of humans who will "short-cut" even the most critical of processes .... where even their own lives hang in the balance.

I have witnessed pilots who did not pre-flight a plane .... choosing instead to check only a few of the many items on a standard checklist .... all in the name of getting into the air as soon as was possible.

Even I, as a student pilot .... feeling myself after only 8-9 hours, failed to refer my printed pre-flight plan, choosing to rely on memory instead, something I'm grateful my flight instructor saw. He allowed me to begin my takeoff roll, and when unable to rotate at speed, he barked about my failure to set my rudder trim to T/O position - something that could have cost me my rear-end.

When Cirrus Aircraft company launched an aircraft model that included a CAPS (their term) system that deployed a giant parachute if the plane went out of control (pilot initiated), all that did was encourage many pilots to take crazy chances (especially flying into known hazardous weather conditions), even with their Families aboard, that they might otherwise not have taken .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-QUVen9Ng

So, with this in mind, I'm saying I don't believe there is THAT much variation in DJI's production process allowing a lot a people to experience bliss, and a fairly large number despair.

It's been said before, but THIS IS NOT A TOY. Check your pre-flight process.

Followed it exactly. In fact, I calibrate the compass and never take off until I have 10 (yes 10 satellites) locked!

I contacted Daves Motors (not the dealer whom I purchased from) and spoke with Steve. He was extremely nice and knowledgeable. He was unable to help me though and said my best shot is going to be to wait for DJI.

So....unless it sells in the classifieds, I guess I'll wait for DJI to come up with some ribbon cables.

offtosleep said:
Well, on the fourth flight, I experienced a fly-away and the bird went down. Thankfully I had purchased a GPS locator and was able to recover it. When it finally ran out of battery, it went down in a stand of trees and broke the camera off and snapped the ribbon connector. My wife is beyond pissed and says I have to sell. :|

So its now for sale in the classifiedshttp://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15492.

Sad....but like my marriage better.

Did you pay with a credit card? I ALWAYS pay for large purchases with a CC. You say you had a fly-away. Obviously defective product. DJI WILL come through or you will challenge the charge with your CC company. I hope you did pay with CC.

PhilAnderson said:
offtosleep said:
Well, on the fourth flight, I experienced a fly-away and the bird went down. Thankfully I had purchased a GPS locator and was able to recover it. When it finally ran out of battery, it went down in a stand of trees and broke the camera off and snapped the ribbon connector. My wife is beyond pissed and says I have to sell. :|

So its now for sale in the classifiedshttp://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15492.

Did you pay with a credit card? I ALWAYS pay for large purchases with a CC. You say you had a fly-away. Obviously defective product. DJI WILL come through or you will challenge the charge with your CC company. I hope you did pay with CC.

Won't they go after the dealer and NOT DJI? I

offtosleep said:
PhilAnderson said:
offtosleep said:

Won't they go after the dealer and NOT DJI? I

Yeah, I suppose that's true. The dealer needs to deal with DJI, not you. You gave your money to the dealer so this is between you and them and the CC company. Good luck with this and I would expect you to have a new Vision+ soon!

Flyboy said:
No Offense meant at all to the OP, but I don't want to be in a marriage where my wife tells me what to do. My wife and I kinda buy what we want with no questions asked of each other. We both work, the bills are all paid, no Credit card debt, nice savings and if I want something, I buy it. same as her.

If she ever came to me and told me I had to do something or sell something, we would need to sit down and have a talk.

For instance when she saw my P2V Plus, she asked if was new or just my older Phantom 1. I told her I bought a new one and showed her the new features compared to my older Phantom and her response was "cool".

+1

offtosleep said:
I contacted Daves Motors (not the dealer whom I purchased from) and spoke with Steve. He was extremely nice and knowledgeable. He was unable to help me though and said my best shot is going to be to wait for DJI.

So....unless it sells in the classifieds, I guess I'll wait for DJI to come up with some ribbon cables.

Besides Tech Support, I recommend contacting DJI Sales as well. Tech Support wasn't able to help me with the Black Screen issue, but Sales agreed to refund my purchase price. I would also suggest contacting CC or PayPal concerning the charges. Don't assume no one will take some responsibility.

Ok no offence meant to the OP but is this your first Quad or RC flying machine? Can you go into more details of the flyaway? Could this be user error? If it is user error there is no way morally anyone should be trying to screw a small local dealer by telling their credit card company it just simply flew away meaning it was defective. Please make sure its a genuine fly away as this term is being thrown around like free candy at the moment. I think 5% of "fly aways" are genuine and the rest are down to new user error trying to mask their own carelessness as a fault with the phantom. When the vision came out there were loads of fly aways and now there are very very few and I believe thats down to experience. Now that the pv2+ has been released its like history repeating itself and all of a sudden there are so many new flyers and so many "fly aways". OP, get in touch with DJI, get an RMA number off them and get them to fix it, I've had to do this. You'll be without your bird for a few weeks, they may charge you but it wont be astronomical and as regards the wife, suck it up and tell her you're gonna make money from selling aerial pics to people with big houses. My pv2 has paid for itself 5 times over in my spare time. Dont give up man!

I'd ditch the wife, unless she can fly, and keep my phantom. I know this isn't helpful, but what do you say about a fly away?

Really sorry about your bird man, but yeah, keep the phantom. ;)

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Ok no offence meant to the OP but is this your first Quad or RC flying machine? Can you go into more details of the flyaway? Could this be user error? If it is user error there is no way morally anyone should be trying to screw a small local dealer by telling their credit card company it just simply flew away meaning it was defective. Please make sure its a genuine fly away as this term is being thrown around like free candy at the moment. I think 5% of "fly aways" are genuine and the rest are down to new user error trying to mask their own carelessness as a fault with the phantom. When the vision came out there were loads of fly aways and now there are very very few and I believe thats down to experience. Now that the pv2+ has been released its like history repeating itself and all of a sudden there are so many new flyers and so many "fly aways". OP, get in touch with DJI, get an RMA number off them and get them to fix it, I've had to do this. You'll be without your bird for a few weeks, they may charge you but it wont be astronomical and as regards the wife, suck it up and tell her you're gonna make money from selling aerial pics to people with big houses. My pv2 has paid for itself 5 times over in my spare time. Dont give up man!

No....this is not my first remote control. As mentioned, I followed the manual exactly....if fact, as I mentioned, I waited for more than the required satellites before getting her in the air.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj