Bird down! UPDATE on PG 5

Reaction score
Well, on the fourth flight, I experienced a fly-away and the bird went down. Thankfully I had purchased a GPS locator and was able to recover it. When it finally ran out of battery, it went down in a stand of trees and broke the camera off and snapped the ribbon connector. My wife is beyond pissed and says I have to sell. :|

So its now for sale in the classifiedshttp://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15492.

Sad....but like my marriage better.

Re: Bird down!

My rule of thumb is always tell the wife the item cost was half of what it actually was. In the case of the P2V+ she never asked, and I didn't volunteer the info. If she does ask, I will break my half cost rule, and make it even lower :D

i thought this "50% lesser" culture only exists in Malaysia(amongst my RC friends and their home minister)..it seems to be a world standard, ya :D .

sorry about the flyaway and crash. glad you found it tho with the assistance of the GPS locator. I have one installed too and would face the same problem like the OP...to provide an answer to my home minister. :mrgreen:

I enjoyed the heck out of the first 3 flights. Wished I could keep it, but the wife is beyond pissed! I'm asking a $1000 for it. Does that seem reasonable? Wasn't really sure what to ask. The only damage it has it to the gimbal and that ribbon connector. The bird still flies just fine. When it hit the tree branches, it damaged that and nothing else.

No Offense meant at all to the OP, but I don't want to be in a marriage where my wife tells me what to do. My wife and I kinda buy what we want with no questions asked of each other. We both work, the bills are all paid, no Credit card debt, nice savings and if I want something, I buy it. same as her.

If she ever came to me and told me I had to do something or sell something, we would need to sit down and have a talk.

For instance when she saw my P2V Plus, she asked if was new or just my older Phantom 1. I told her I bought a new one and showed her the new features compared to my older Phantom and her response was "cool".

seems obvious that the drawback to the smooth video of the + is that the camera assembly is a LOT more fragile than on the regular Vision.

And I think $1000 is not going to sell, considering that new + camera and gimbal are going for $800 brand new on ebay

My wife and I have a don't ask don't tell policy. I don't ask what her jewelry, purses, shoes, etc costs. She doesn't ask what my photo gear and other addictions cost. Working well so far, just had our 10th year.

Sorry to hear on the crash. Ask a high price, maybe when things settle you can keep and repair it. Good luck.

if this were to happen to me...

my alternate option is to still keep it if it still fly well but I would mount my RX100 MKII on it without a gimbal..and still be able to get good video/picture shoot. FPV is secondary and maybe with the sony aps, i can still get something on my andriod. Compensation, the video is far far better then Hero or DJI camera.

that just me.

offtosleep said:
Well, on the fourth flight, I experienced a fly-away and the bird went down. Thankfully I had purchased a GPS locator and was able to recover it. When it finally ran out of battery, it went down in a stand of trees and broke the camera off and snapped the ribbon connector. My wife is beyond pissed and say I have to sell. :|

So its now for sale in the classifieds

No bro don't throw the towell in that quick bro.... explain to the dealer or DJI that its defective! Its a firmware issue I've been told thats causing this CRAZY PLUS **** TO HAPPEN mine fell out of the sky on the maiden flight while only hovering. Then flew great 10 straight times, to fall out og the sky again the 11th flight, bounce up then fly away..... I was given a brand new one from dealer......
Moose

can try it as Moose suggested. This flyaway is a known and unknown phenomena - what causes it? i believe this product is not extensively tested before commercial launch..Anyhow, its only 4th flight..so its practically brand new and not fully tested/stability in using it.

offtosleep said:
Well, on the fourth flight, I experienced a fly-away and the bird went down. Thankfully I had purchased a GPS locator and was able to recover it. When it finally ran out of battery, it went down in a stand of trees and broke the camera off and snapped the ribbon connector. My wife is beyond pissed and say I have to sell. :|

So its now for sale in the classifieds.

These flyaways are becoming way too common. Even if some of them are user error, for a $1500+ item, there should be more safeguards to prevent these types of things

phantomguy said:
seems obvious that the drawback to the smooth video of the + is that the camera assembly is a LOT more fragile than on the regular Vision.

And I think $1000 is not going to sell, considering that new + camera and gimbal are going for $800 brand new on ebay
No offense but on what planet are new ones selling for $800? Not on planet earth.

BlackTracer said:
phantomguy said:

No offense but on what planet are new ones selling for $800? Not on planet earth.

I think he was referring to the gimbal/camera setup.

I did contact my dealer (RC Depot Hobbies). I just received an email stating to contact DJI North America. Didn't off ANY OTHER HELP at all. So basically told me to go F off.

I'm really bummed about the whole thing. I agree with others that the fly-away problem still isn't resolved and it costing a pretty penny to myself and others.

Not sure what recourse I have at this point other than to sell and recoup what costs I can. With zero dealer support, I'm hosed. Not sure if I could contact another dealer and see if they'll go to bat for me or what.

try and contact dji north america as suggested. LHS sometimes are too much sales oriented with practically no support. some LHS probably don't even know how to set/configure it - hence lack in support.

you may need to explain - 4th flight and flyaway as the jizz of it. how could it flyaway? its supposed to be full proof against any faulty or defect functions..others may gives better/honest suggestions from their experience.

Aqeel200 said:
try and contact dji north america as suggested. LHS sometimes are too much sales oriented with practically no support. some LHS probably don't even know how to set/configure it - hence lack in support.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is LHS?

BTW, anyone recommend a dealer that is worth a darn? I know moose said his dealer helped him out....any similar stories of hope?

offtosleep said:
Aqeel200 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is LHS?

Local Hobby Shop

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik