big improvment to f40FPV range no extender .5 miles

Kindles are set up for use on wifi, so they have better performance on wifi than a phone, which are set up primarily to be used on the phone network and use wifi more as an afterthought.

J.James said:
Got some time to test out the new FPV wifi range on the fc40 using a kindle fire moded to take external antennas. Nice increase in range. So far based on some of todays preliminary results flying in heavy wifi area. with out any mods to the kindle best I was ever able to get was 320-350 meters fpv which was a tiny bit better then i could get if using my hawking repeater which topped out at about 300m range. But today's results just blew even trying to use a wifi repeater and all the cumbersome wires and extra battery's that gives less range then the kindle did all by its self with out any simple mods to it. and the added antenna mod dont look bad either or get in the way of any thing.

I did 4 flights out till i lost single on my camera then came back to home on each flight. 2 flights using just 2 different antennas on the kindle then I did two more flights using a wifi signal amplifier between the kindle and the antennas on the amplifier.

flight 1 Moded kindle fire FPV range test with 6Dbi omi directional antenna. 1,184feet or 360m so tiny improvement over non moded kindle. But it gets better.

flight 2 Moded kindle fire FPV range test with 11Dbi directional panel antenna. 1,612
feet or 491m very nice jump in range but it gets even better. on flight 3

flight 3 Moded kindle fire FPV range test with 6Dbi omi directional antenna. and wifi signal booster added. got 2,640feet or 804 meters. or 1/2 mile This so far is the Best range I have yet to see any one get from there fc40 camera for FPV.

flight 4 Moded kindle fire FPV range test with 11Dbi directional panel antenna. and wifi signal booster added. got 1926 feet or 587 meters. I think the range was lower on this flight due to the directional antenna not being pointed right being in the tests with out the amp this antenna had better range then the 6 dbi one did.

I have some more tests I want to run still with another antenna then i'm going to mod the FC40's camera its self to be able to use a real antenna on it and see how much more the range can be improved.

Which wifi booster did you use ?

Thanks, so just to clarify you mounted this booster on the drone or on kindle ?
Where did you take power from ?

or the short time that I used it had it on the kindle end hooked to the external antenna connector I put on it.
I powered it it from a plug I made that has a barrel connector on one end and an x60 plug on the other that plugged in to a 3s lipo battery. IE the same battery and plugs the fc40 uses. But the whole set up was just to bulky and cumbersome to be practical all mounted on my transmitter. The booster has a big heavy metal case on it and its about a 1lb

Thanks

I have a kindle arriving I hope Tuesday so will see how that improves things but I a, seriously considering getting a p2v+ as putting all these things on just adds more weight etc.

I encountered the very same issue that you had, but I have since mounted everything on a camera tripod that I use as a ground station. Also, the best booster that I could find that you can use your phantom battery along with the barrel connector is this one ------------> http://www.ebay.com/itm/111309852517?ss ... 1423.l2649

I have since added the repeater to this setup on the ground station. So here is the setup.

1). Amped wireless repeater
2). SUNHANS 1W 2.4G 802.11N 2T2R 300M Wireless Amplifiers Signal Booster Repeater
3). 2 14 dbi panel antennas
4). 1 camera tripod
5). barrel connector x60 plugged into 3s lipo

I have 3 different setups for flying, but this setup gives the longest range. Here is my basic setup that gives good range, but is very compact and portable.

1). Lenovo Android Laptop modded to accept rpsma antennas (Kindles are great too)
2). Alfa 7dbi panel antenna

I find myself using this the most as I can fly anywhere anytime without setting up much. I use the first setup when I need the added range.

J.James said:
or the short time that I used it had it on the kindle end hooked to the external antenna connector I put on it.
I powered it it from a plug I made that has a barrel connector on one end and an x60 plug on the other that plugged in to a 3s lipo battery. IE the same battery and plugs the fc40 uses. But the whole set up was just to bulky and cumbersome to be practical all mounted on my transmitter. The booster has a big heavy metal case on it and its about a 1lb

I just got a vision fixer upper that is almost all done and ready to fly and sort of pissed that the app just can not be installed on the kindle no way no how. and have to use the crappy smart phone to be able to use the fpv or the the way points app.

Tho instead of getting the regular vision 500 meter extender that is needed to even get any fpv I got a vision + extender witch is supposed to get 700m so it will just about match the range I was able to get with the kindle and the added antenna. Just sucks the ap don't work with the kindle because I like the large screen. and the battery time on the kindle is way better then the smart phone to.

When my kindle comes I am going to root it so hopefully app installation should not be a problem.

J.James said:
From what I heard from those that have used a Nexus 7 it seems to be just as good as the kindle. and even with the stock set upon the kindle fire had very good wifi range. Before I even boosted it with an external antenna mod.

I guarantee on the stock antennas the N7 isn't nearly as good as the Kindle. Maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the range. I start losing it at 200-300 feet straight overhead with the N7.

I guess that's my question; if anyone knows whether it's JUST the antenna that makes the difference, or if the Kindle would still be better than the N7 with the same external antenna mounted. My N7 is pretty banged up already so it's a lot easier to justify cutting holes in that, but if the Kindle would still be better, I guess I'd rather just start there. I did see a video someone posted of using an N7 with an external panel antenna to push an AR Drone almost a mile away, I think, so that's something.

robinb said:
When my kindle comes I am going to root it so hopefully app installation should not be a problem.

The FC40 app sideloads without any trouble even without rooting the Kindle, just FYI. I'll end up rooting mine too, but it's nice not to NEED to root it just yet.

ya the fc40 app goes in easy if you use some thing like 1mobil market to side load it. Tho i think im going to have to look in to rooting the kindle to see if I can get the vision app to load on it.

Kindle came today.

I side loaded both the fc40 and the vision app without any problems

I have tested the fc40 but don't have a vision (yet ) to confirm that works ok.

The rooting instruction i have are out of date and it just sat there without doing anything.
Project for another day.

and the vision app without any problems

What kindle did you get? is it the kindle hd or some thing?????? cause I cant get the vision AP to install no way no how on my regular kindle fire.

It's a kindle fire hd 7 inch.
I sideloaded it.
The app runs but obviously I can't connect as I don't have a vision.

Hum i may have to look in to getting an HD then Cause I want to use it for my vision Even if yu don't have a vision wifi extender and camera to connect can you at least open the app and go to the point were you hit the camera and get a screen with icons and controls with the center blacked out saying connection broken or cant connect to camera? or if you side swipe that screen can you get to a map for the way points part of the app even tho it will not show the right location being it cant get the info from the visions gps to know were the phantom is. if so that means it should work for the vision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing