Big Changes Coming

Reaction score
The government is working with DJI, Amazon, Google and others to begin requiring GPS tracking devices on civilian drones. Amazon takes it even further. No flying except in designated "drone parks".

"Amazon does not support anonymous operations" of drones in U.S. airways, with only minor exceptions such as hobbyists at designated flying fields, Sean Cassidy, director of Safety and Regulatory Affairs told a House subcommittee on April 4. Company spokeswoman Kristen Kish declined to discuss current talks because it is participating in the FAA committee.

Police Push Tracking for Civilian Drones

"The Federal Aviation Administration created an advisory panel in June of more than 70 drone industry and user representatives -- including Sugahara -- in a fast-track attempt to develop requirements so battery-powered aircraft can be identified in the sky. They have to finish by Sept. 30 so the FAA can begin crafting regulations."

So it should only be another 3 or 4 years to see anything become of this.

Course, we still have Section 336. Perhaps the FAA will simply forget it exists.

"The Federal Aviation Administration created an advisory panel in June of more than 70 drone industry and user representatives -- including Sugahara -- in a fast-track attempt to develop requirements so battery-powered aircraft can be identified in the sky. They have to finish by Sept. 30 so the FAA can begin crafting regulations."

Course, we still have Section 336. Perhaps the FAA will simply forget it exists.
You may be right but they are on a fast track. Whatever Google and Amazon want, they will get. So DJI's statement worries me. Another firmware update away?

"China-based SZ DJI Technology Co., the world’s largest civilian drone manufacturer, earlier this year said it could adapt existing radio-control signals to identify and track its devices. The same data could also be transmitted on cellular networks."

Unless of course something else disastrous happens due to irresponsible flying, and considering the history of it, the odds are something will... The typical knee jerk reaction will then occur, and we'll be knee-deep in even more regs. DJI, etc. will comply because they want to stay in business. As far as drones broadcasting their ID's, I think most of us would like very much to see more of the idiots who give our hobby a bad name caught.

As far as drones broadcasting their ID's, I think most of us would like very much to see more of the idiots who give our hobby a bad name caught.

However, those that seek to break the law will do simply prevent their drones from being in compliance.

I'm not advocating misuse of drones. What I'm saying is that misuse is so limited that regulations won't have an impact. This is also because those that are going to fly illegally would simply bypass any such requirement. Add to this that the FAA will take years to come up with any further restrictions and then several more years for manufactures to comply.

When you unpacked your Phantom from DJI did you see any safety booklet out lining proper flying? Anything with a big sticker on it with this information? I'd say we start with the basics (as should have been done years ago) and go from there.

Reactions: skeptic49
I'd rather be forced to have a GPS tracker on my P4 than have DJI try to force their NFZ. That way I'm completely in charge but will also be held responsible for anything I do.
For more freedom in flying responsibility, I would take an onboard ADBS-S transponder. As an added bonus, if it goes down you'll be able to find it.

Amazon takes it even further. No flying except in designated "drone parks".

I can see that happening up here in Canada - we now have restrictions on the restrictions that were restricting the previous restrictions with more restrictions to come. Truly though - up here it is laughable yet, pathetic. Transport Canada is holding country wide meets to allow for input from owners, developers etc. regarding the latest regulations - no doubt all input will fall on deaf ears.

When will these regulators "get it" ---- the majority of people who purchased these units, did so for the purpose of photography and video. A quad-copter with a flying camera platform is a description
you don't hear enough of. All you ever hear is drone this and drone that - the word "drone" itself is enough to scare the hell out of em and unjustified panic sets in!

upload_2017-8-8_10-23-17.jpeg

Keep in mind, for these regulators .... "ignorance, is not always bliss" --- In the words of Benjamin Franklin "we are all born ignorant, but one must work really hard to become stupid"!

Democracy, as defined, will not ever rule with regard to flying our quads - the minority will and do rule as to the where, when and how we operate our Phantoms etc.​

Reactions: quietleader
Like others I would have no problem with some sort of tracking or id broadcast (eg squawk) providing it doesn't significantly add to cost, weight, battery drain, etc.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
Fascinating. Millions upon millions of drones sold and flying, yet drone-induced mayhem by comparison is what percentage? Realistically?

This is again why, at times, I've taken exception to the use of the word "drone." It has a negative connotation and it doesn't matter what you are doing with it or where you are, to the naysayers, "that guy has a drone". Period.

I hope that the day some authority somewhere questions the use of my small plastic toy helicopter that I'm speaking to someone smart enough to be able to understand when I say "you know, this is really just a small plastic toy helicopter".

Once those in power to make laws realize that bicycles and tractor trailers and pedestrians and muscle cars all use the same roads, and that we've figured out a way to make that work and continue to accept the risks associated with it, maybe they'll apply the same logic to whatever direction this all goes.

Or maybe not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20