Big Changes Coming

Because they want to squelch us menials so that they can confiscate our airspace for their drone delivery systems. They want us hemmed into confined spaces in specific areas and out of the 0-400' zone freely flying around so that they can take that zone over for their delivery systems and those delivery systems don't have to deal with all of the hazards of other drones.

Right now, all these "anonymous" drones (meaning all of us) can, will and do interfere with their automated drone delivery plans. They want to eliminate that threat to to their profits. And if you are under the delusion that its anything but that and that they are doing this in the public good...well... I got some waterfront property just east of Miami I would like to sell you. Great fishing. Fantastic view too.

And if you are thinking this is tinfoil hat stuff. Better grab your suspenders and give em a tug. Its about to get real...
https://www.commerce.senate.gov/pub...AE2DDF838BA2C11FF06F00CF.highlights---faa.pdf

S.1405 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act of 2017

Here are some highlights of whats on that freight train coming at you:

Thats right. Registration is back. Safety tests are coming. More rules and regs allowed by local and state governments, and even more rules for the tiny drones. So that means more allowed agencies to restrict drones, more hoops you will have to jump through to fly. Excited yet? "Your" flyable airspace is about the a hell of a lot smaller really soon. If you thought the NFZs were bad before, just wait.

So if you thought that the revocation of the registration was the end, no my friend, that was just the beginning shot. The FAA is about to get everything they had before and far more and they are going to have congress' approval this time.

And the first bullet point in the quote above answers your question with one reason Amazon and Google are there. They were asked to be there and their own self interest is the second reason.

So, here are my predictions for the future here...
  1. Registration will be, again, required and it will be more restrictive than before, likely every drone will be required to carry a registration, not just the operator. So those who own multiple drones, will have to register each one. Yes there will be a fee.
  2. Registration will require a safety test exam.
  3. Flight over private property will be disallowed by default unless permission is gained. So taking off from your own yard, will require you to legally fly around any other private property to get to your destination.
  4. Reduced legal flying areas as more laws by city, county, and state authorities are enacted and allowed under new rules. The old "The FAA is the only one who controls the sky" is coming to an end.
  5. Increased criminal penalties for failure to comply with regulations. "I'll fly where I please" is gonna get real expensive real fast.
  6. New drone "carrier" classification will carve out an altitude range (guessing 300-400') and this new altitude zone will be a restricted altitude for hobby flights because now you would interfere with the new class of delivery drones. (This is why Amazon is in bed with the FAA right now).
  7. Build-your-own drones have always been an option. However they are going to still have to be certified, registered and be flown under the same restrictions as commercially purchased drones.
Drones are not in the bill of rights or the constitution (speaking from a USA point of view here). Its about to get very very messy before this all gets sorted out. Whats coming is basically you got no rights to fly a drone until the government says you do. I don't like it any more than you do but the writing is on the wall.

You seem to
So, here are my predictions for the future here...
  1. Registration will be, again, required and it will be more restrictive than before, likely every drone will be required to carry a registration, not just the operator. So those who own multiple drones, will have to register each one. Yes there will be a fee.
  2. Registration will require a safety test exam.
  3. Flight over private property will be disallowed by default unless permission is gained. So taking off from your own yard, will require you to legally fly around any other private property to get to your destination.
  4. Reduced legal flying areas as more laws by city, county, and state authorities are enacted and allowed under new rules. The old "The FAA is the only one who controls the sky" is coming to an end.
  5. Increased criminal penalties for failure to comply with regulations. "I'll fly where I please" is gonna get real expensive real fast.
  6. New drone "carrier" classification will carve out an altitude range (guessing 300-400') and this new altitude zone will be a restricted altitude for hobby flights because now you would interfere with the new class of delivery drones. (This is why Amazon is in bed with the FAA right now).
  7. Build-your-own drones have always been an option. However they are going to still have to be certified, registered and be flown under the same restrictions as commercially purchased drones.

Everything involving drones in the FAA bill are items the FAA is already working. The FAA drafted the majority of the bill to get it into their official list of "responsibilities". Registration isn't a big deal and makes sense. The general public is flying hardware that can cause damage and injuries with little to no training. The government should be able to track those who have accidents and "leave the scene". I don't see your private property scenario happening. The FAA might provide guidance about what constitutes a privacy concern / harassment issue, but can't make flying over private property against the law without it impacting the commercial guys. The FAA will always be the airspace authority. States, county's and city's will attempt to clamp down but those won't stand up to constitutional challenge (airspace is a Federal issue). Criminal penalties should always apply to anyone breaking regulations. Google, Amazon and others will try to lay claim to the "400 and under" airspace, but there's other groups putting ideas on the table for consideration. The good news is, there are so many interests in this area, decisions will be slow in coming...

You have overlooked AOPA in your advocacy sources. They have taken on the sUAS cause seriously as advocates of all pilots and aircraft owners.

Reactions: jdharrin
What I don't understand is why Google and Amazon and DJI are working with the FAA. Did the Government hire them as consultants. I don't get it
Well, they do both have government contracts for secure data storage, so why not work with them further? ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT