Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some more testing this morning on 3.05b2. It does indeed appear to remember the corrections after a power cycle, so whatever "learning" the MC memory gained, it is retained between battery changes. Hopefully the weather will permit me to fly again later today or tomorrow and we'll see if this holds for a longer power-off period. Apparently, the corrections are stored in non-volatile memory. Hurray!

The more flight time I get, the better the correction appears. The aircraft is flying almost perfectly straight now. I did notice that making runs along different directions of the compass rose seems to show some deviation, but it damps out quickly and does not reappear on subsequent runs, so the learning seems to be sensitive to the initial magnetic heading taken. Makes sense.

Judging by the consistency of the reports from the enlarged beta test group, I believe that DJI should now feel confident in officially releasing the new firmware. I hope they do so soon so that all Phantom owners in high declination areas can enjoy the benefits of the new software.

Xrover said:
Thanks for your results Droneranger.
My pleasure Xrover. More test reports to follow! :)

I hope this gets worked out fairly quickly... I to a lot of flying in places where the entry and exit points through doors/windows/holes in the tree canopies would be a lot easier if the machine wasn't making big giant circles. :(

Also. I have no idea how to find the magnetic declination for where I live. :/

ThatRobbGuy said:
I hope this gets worked out fairly quickly... I to a lot of flying in places where the entry and exit points through doors/windows/holes in the tree canopies would be a lot easier if the machine wasn't making big giant circles. :(

CLick here. http://magnetic-declination.com

So it's pretty definitive that the new firmware remembers your location. Looks like the beta testing is complete. Now let's get this firmware out to everyone already. DJI, it's time to publish the production 3.05 firmware!

ianwood said:
So it's pretty definitive that the new firmware remembers your location. Looks like the beta testing is complete. Now let's get this firmware out to everyone already. DJI, it's time to publish the production 3.05 firmware!
+139,000

ianwood said:

they better soon. they don't realize how many are jumping ship as we speak.

riblit said:
ThatRobbGuy said:

CLick here. http://magnetic-declination.com

THANK YOU! SO quick. :)

NANAIMO BRITISH COLUMBIA
Latitude: 49° 9' 58.8" N
Longitude: 123° 56' 9.6" W
Magnetic declination: 16° 53' EAST
Declination is POSITIVE
Inclination: 70° 2'
Magnetic field strength: 54502.5 nT

PRAGUE HLAVNI MESTO PRAHA
Latitude: 50° 5' 16.9" N
Longitude: 14° 25' 14.7" E
Magnetic declination: 3° 21' EAST
Declination is POSITIVE
Inclination: 65° 59'
Magnetic field strength: 48965.0 nT

I am sorry for getting back with my observations so late. I have had the opportunity to fly twice with 3.05b2 and will confirm that it seems quicker in correcting the tracking error and most importantly, at least on the two separate days I tested, remembers info from the previous days flight as first movement forward on the second day was dead straight. There was no wind at all but I suspect this will not be a factor. I live in an area of -15deg declination so tracking and j-hooking were quite noticeable prior to the new beta s/w.

Tom

So is anybody in actual communication with DJI? Do the beta testers respond only here? Only to Ianwood? Or do you email someone at DJI with your results? Are you asking them about a release date? Are you asking them if you can give the beta out? I understand that DJI's communication is lacking, but for those of us waiting for this (for 5 months), YOUR communication with US would be appreciated. Even if it is only to tell us that you have sent your results in and heard nothing...

I hope that since the testers have a working fix they are all excited about the Project isn't over. It would be really pathetic to get everyone riled up, use them to get a response from DJI, and then abandon them when your problem is solved.

landonkk said:
So is anybody in actual communication with DJI? Do the beta testers respond only here? Only to Ianwood? Or do you email someone at DJI with your results? Are you asking them about a release date? Are you asking them if you can give the beta out? I understand that DJI's communication is lacking, but for those of us waiting for this (for 5 months), YOUR communication with US would be appreciated. Even if it is only to tell us that you have sent your results in and heard nothing...

I hope that since the testers have a working fix they are all excited about the Project isn't over. It would be really pathetic to get everyone riled up, use them to get a response from DJI, and then abandon them when your problem is solved.

Yep. I sold my Phantom already because of this. I'm just anxious to fix it for the person who bought it. I already made 3 multi rotors since this happened. Will see what the Phantom 3 looks like before I buy another DJI. I'm watching.

landonkk said:

My beta test results are posted in THIS THREAD and are sent no where else. I have no contact with DJI and wouldn't know how to contact DJI in a meaningful way. I have no influence with DJI. It is hard to believe that people think that Ian or the beta testers have evil intent. And yet that is what we hear over and over again. No one will be happier when this is officially released so we don't have to read the daily insults that are far to common in this and related threads. I worry that this will be the last problem ever fixed, for who would ever want to endure the insinuations and insults that Ian et.al. has had to endure. Without his effort we would just have to live with TBE, JHook, and CL error forever.
Certainly DJI has a lot to learn about customer communications. But that is a DJI problem, not an Ianwood problem, or a beta tester problem. It seems like this is taking forever, but I know from experience that it is normal for beta software to deal with the major issues but have not have the complete software design or testing that is needed for release. Note that beta2 has some major improvements over beta1. Had they released beta1 they would have had less motivation to make the beta 2 improvements which are a very significant improvement. I assure you that Ianwood and the beta testers want to get this over. Hopefully the end is near.

John Shaw said:
landonkk said:

My beta test results are posted in THIS THREAD and are sent no where else. I have no contact with DJI and wouldn't know how to contact DJI in a meaningful way. I have no influence with DJI. It is hard to believe that people think that Ian or the beta testers have evil intent. And yet that is what we hear over and over again. No one will be happier when this is officially released so we don't have to read the daily insults that are far to common in this and related threads. I worry that this will be the last problem ever fixed, for who would ever want to endure the insinuations and insults that Ian et.al. has had to endure. Without his effort we would just have to live with TBE, JHook, and CL error forever.
Certainly DJI has a lot to learn about customer communications. But that is a DJI problem, not an Ianwood problem, or a beta tester problem. It seems like this is taking forever, but I know from experience that it is normal for beta software to deal with the major issues but have not have the complete software design or testing that is needed for release. Note that beta2 has some major improvements over beta1. Had they released beta1 they would have had less motivation to make the beta 2 improvements which are a very significant improvement. I assure you that Ianwood and the beta testers want to get this over. Hopefully the end is near.
I don't know where you are reading any insults or insinuations. I am only reading frustration and lack of communication. The lack of structure in this for communication is obvious. I understand how you feel because you are beta testing and probably feel under appreciated... but you should try to empathize with those that aren't beta testing and haven't only see what you write here. You feel relief because you just tested a stable product after half a year has passed. He's just asking questions and hoping for some answers because we have Zero contact with DJI. At least your contact point is actual beta revisions.

d4ddyo said:
John Shaw said:
landonkk said:

I don't know where you are reading any insults or insinuations. I am only reading frustration and lack of communication. The lack of structure in this for communication is obvious. I understand how you feel because you are beta testing and probably feel under appreciated... but you should try to empathize with those that aren't beta testing and haven't only see what you write here. You feel relief because you just tested a stable product after half a year has passed. He's just asking questions and hoping for some answers because we have Zero contact with DJI. At least your contact point is actual beta revisions.

Thanks, d4ddyo. After the first beta, I remember people posting the communications they had with DJI in regards to what what DJI was asking for and what the plans might be. I haven't seen any of that recently. Also - all of the testers, including ianwood, have posted on here and called for DJI to release the new firmware. I was simply wondering if DJI was actually hearing those calls since it is obvious that they don't follow this thread. It wouldn't do a lot of good to all agree how ready it was for release if DJI didn't even hear about it.

John, I appreciate the support. Thank you.

As for DJI, I have been in sporadic communication with them. There is no formal communication channel. They have not been structured or organized in this process. But, you'll note this thread was started by DJI and they have been sifting through the constant criticism trying to find actual feedback from the beta testers so they can evaluate it. And you can save your breath, it's not the decision makers watching, it's the engineers who've been told to fix it. Help them do their job and let this be about actual beta feedback and nothing else.

P.S. d4ddyo, if you've sold your Phantom maybe you should let the new owner speak for themselves.

ianwood said:
John, I appreciate the support. Thank you.

As for DJI, I have been in sporadic communication with them. There is no formal communication channel. They have not been structured or organized in this process. But, you'll note this thread was started by DJI and they have been sifting through the constant criticism trying to find actual feedback from the beta testers so they can evaluate it. And you can save your breath, it's not the decision makers watching, it's the engineers who've been told to fix it. Help them do their job and let this be about actual beta feedback and nothing else.

P.S. d4ddyo, if you've sold your Phantom maybe you should let the new owner speak for themselves.

I'm a paid consumer... and although it's sold it's still in my possession waiting for a fix before i turn it over. I am entitled. Even so... as a "former" owner and a person that is very interested in future revisions... yes I am entitled. Especially since I have been around for this ordeal. No need to be defensive or defensive of them (unless some how you are working for them). We are all on the same side. The lack of communication and the lack of a formal communication channel doesn't mean we can't empathize with each other on this long overdrawn ordeal.

The facts are the facts
1. Took pulling teeth for them to notice our issue
2. There is no formal communication channel. All we have is what is posted here.
3. There are beta testers. and of course we had no idea that communication didn't exist outside this forum. Although the emails and reports are a form of communication. At least beta testers are in the inside loop.
4. We have been waiting a LONG time within these lacking communication parameters.
5. There is a fix. but still no communication.

Don't take it personal because you are in the inside loop.
You are frustrated. we are frustrated. With lack of communication the same feeling still exists... the feeling that DJI doesn't care. That's is what DJI is showing.

No one is questioning what you or any other beta tester has done. I'm guessing it was randomly chosen but there are many that wish they had the opportunity to test and use the latest releases.

Yes we are on the home stretch. And thank God because everyone is so defensive and edgy. You are the man, Ian. You can be the man. I don't want to be the man. I just want results. In the end... that's what everyone is waiting for.

If DJI needs any further tests executed or results submitted for 3.0.5b2 please let me know. I'm happy to do extra testing if that might help push 3.0.5 over the line to get it released.

A real shame because all it would take, is for Terry from DJI (who started this thread), to come on and post a short 1 paragraph update and all the aggression in this thread would disappear. People would feel valued and like customers again. It's a tragic case study in customer relations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94