Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best made plans of mice and men......

The phone started ringing while the batteries were getting electrons and by the time everything was sorted the rain made an appearance. Oh well, batteries are charged, beta firmware loaded. Hope it's not raining tomorrow.

Xrover said:
3.05b2 test. Phantom 2/Zenmuse H3-3D
Course lock didn't work at all for me! I tried resetting Course Lock while in a hover and everytime I would try to fly forward, the P2 would go forward and slide to the left. It did not yaw/rotate, it would go forward but Roll to the left (40 degrees) as it was flying. Maybe i forgot how to reset CL in flight? I switched S2 from Off to CL 5 times and saw the LED Indicators blink Yellow but No Joy..

Your use of the S2 switch sounds correct. When I toggle S2 I always stop when it is up at IOC off. I get a quick burst of green flashes indicating it's got a new CL and then it returns to the slow green flashes. I then pull S2 down to CL.
There certainly are times it doesn't get it and in the bright sun I can't see the lights. The first I know it failed is when the Phantom takes off with a large left drift.

The initial course lock is sometimes good and sometimes not. You need to reset it.

We really need DJI to change the way CL works. When you flip into CL it should simply lock onto the current heading. That way you don't have to worry about flipping S2 several times.

I guess waiting a month or two to get course lock changed is not a big deal for some of us

How can I get this firmware? ****, I'm among the very first group who brought up this issue :(

ianwood said:
The initial course lock is sometimes good and sometimes not. You need to reset it.

We really need DJI to change the way CL works. When you flip into CL it should simply lock onto the current heading. That way you don't have to worry about flipping S2 several times.

That would really make sense!

John Shaw said:
Xrover said:
3.05b2 test. Phantom 2/Zenmuse H3-3D
Course lock didn't work at all for me! I tried resetting Course Lock while in a hover and everytime I would try to fly forward, the P2 would go forward and slide to the left. It did not yaw/rotate, it would go forward but Roll to the left (40 degrees) as it was flying. Maybe i forgot how to reset CL in flight? I switched S2 from Off to CL 5 times and saw the LED Indicators blink Yellow but No Joy..

Your use of the S2 switch sounds correct. When I toggle S2 I always stop when it is up at IOC off. I get a quick burst of green flashes indicating it's got a new CL and then it returns to the slow green flashes. I then pull S2 down to CL.
There certainly are times it doesn't get it and in the bright sun I can't see the lights. The first I know it failed is when the Phantom takes off with a large left drift.

I will try it your using your method.
Thanks John..

Had a chance to test 3.0.5b2 just now.

Verdict: SHIP IT.

Notes:

- TBE exhibited for first of 2 flights, disappeared in about 30 seconds of hover.

- J-hook 98% gone. Still some very slight wandering on a stop.

- Some new altitude behavior I haven't seen before: from a 7m high hover, only stick input is hard forward (right stick up in Mode 2), the quad would rise up several meters. All stop stick inputs would result in returning to previous altitude (6-7m). Not a showstopper though.

- RTH invoked on low battery warning. This was new and very unexpected. A quick flip to ATT and back to GPS got control back for a hand catch landing

- I had confidence flying the P2 for the very first time ever. I now know for the first time what it's like for guys in near-zero magnetic declination areas to fly a well behaved quad (and why they can't fully understand how horrific it is to try flying a machine that can't naturally fly straight or hover for the first half of the available flight time.

- Verdict: ship it. It's 1000% better than anything previous in my opinion.

My gains (not default, copied from Ian):

Basic Gains 120, 120, 120, 200
ATTI Gains 220, 220

Damon in Boston (Mag Decl = -14'53")

damoncooper said:
Had a chance to test 3.0.5b2 just now.

- RTH invoked on low battery warning. This was new and very unexpected. A quick flip to ATT and back to GPS got control back for a hand catch landing

Damon in Boston

Glad you caught this Damon...
This happened to us also yesterday and I failed to realize what was happening and forgot to mention it. We were just flying the battery down as we were low enough and I planned to get to 8% for a deep battery cycle. My son was flying it and stated he had no control. It was headed toward a home point we had reset in flight which was safely in the middle of a soccer field. He handed me the controller and yup, I had no control. I flipped to ATTI and back to GPS and instantly had control and landed normally. The event was yesterday... The understanding was only when I read the above, thanks.

John Shaw said:
Glad you caught this Damon...
This happened to us also yesterday and I failed to realize what was happening and forgot to mention it. We were just flying the battery down as we were low enough and I planned to get to 8% for a deep battery cycle. My son was flying it and stated he had no control. It was headed toward a home point we had reset in flight which was safely in the middle of a soccer field. He handed me the controller and yup, I had no control. I flipped to ATTI and back to GPS and instantly had control and landed normally. The event was yesterday... The understanding was only when I read the above, thanks.

If you go back to my post on 3.05b2, you'll see I had it too. At first, I was totally confused then remembered the instructions mentioning a change in behavior when the battery ran low.

John,
What battery levels do you have set up for your 1st and 2nd. Level warnings?
What was the battery level when it went into a RTH mode?

Testers:
What was the reason and outcome for boosting the Altitude Gain to 200%?

I was able to test 3.05b2 today for 2 flights before the weather went south, but based on those flights, I have to agree: Ship It.

For me, it is a 85-90% fix. As Ian previously noted, there is some drifting and a bit of a hook on the first run, but it damps out very quickly and is much improved over the older firmware.

A TBE effect of sorts occurred in a case where I hadn't seen it before though. Vertical take-off and hover is much better with improved stability, but whenever rotating in place without inputting in any lateral or vertical commands, I do get a pronounced swirling that causes the AC to drift noticeably. In other words, before the new firmware, the AC just turned in place when commanded to yaw; now it tends to drift laterally in the direction of the turn, either CW or CCW. Unlike some of the TBEs I've seen videos of, it does not get worse over time; it eventually subsides. However, it does continue to happen during the flight even after the J-hooking has abated. While annoying, I'll take this aberration over the pronounced J-hook followed by the released-sticks TBE any day.

I say DJI should publish it and keep working the problem. I'm less sure if they can ever resolve this completely considering the possibility that it might be an error that is inherent in the system design and, in essence, is treatable but not curable.

Droneranger,
I also noticed that when I am in a hover and command a Yaw only, The P2 will drift laterally (Swirling). It will not Yaw around it's axis.

Xrover said:
Droneranger,
I also noticed that when I am in a hover and command a Yaw only, The P2 will drift laterally (Swirling). It will not Yaw around it's axis.
I am on the old firmware and it does that, swirling thing

YAW is quite a difficult physics operation on quad copters, and hard to get right. Basically you need to change the speed of all 4 rotors is quick sequence to archive rotation without pitch or roll. The swinging is an artifact of this although it does seem worse in DJI systems that others.
That said it is not related to the magnetic declination issue.

Xrover said:
John,

Testers:

I had to go check
Low Battery Level Warning is 20% - it had been 30% and I didn't change it, it must have changed with the load
Critical Battery Level Warning is 15% - as it has always been.
I can't remember exactly when it RTHed. I do know that I did note that I was expecting the audible alarm when we went under 30% and that didn't happen - we were even checking we had the volume turned up on the tablet. So we were well under 30% when it RTHed but I can't say if it was at 20% or 15%

John Shaw said:
Xrover said:
John,

Testers:

I had to go check
Low Battery Level Warning is 20% - it had been 30% and I didn't change it, it must have changed with the load
Critical Battery Level Warning is 15% - as it has always been.
I can't remember exactly when it RTHed. I do know that I did note that I was expecting the audible alarm when we went under 30% and that didn't happen - we were even checking we had the volume turned up on the tablet. So we were well under 30% when it RTHed but I can't say if it was at 20% or 15%

On second thought I can say...
It must have RTHed at 20% because after I regained control I was hovering to drain the battery and waiting for the Phantom to start down on it's own and that did happen at 15% ( I was only at a few feet of altitude and held it off until about 7%)

Ian, just finished a brief test when the rain broke.
I'm getting massive anti-clockwise TBE using Beta 2 and quick extreme J-Hooking. Something I didn't notice in Beta 1.
Won't be until Friday until I can re-test or upload a video but I did advanced calibration and compass dance etc.
Any other NZ users reporting on B2?

UPDATE EDIT: Ignore this - I had applied B2 incorrectly. See later posts for info. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT