Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
damoncooper said:
xgeek said:
They have reduced the max tilt angle in both GPS and Atti mode. Max tilt as shown on my iOSD mini in GPS mode is now -13 degrees and in atti mode -25 degrees. I struggle to get more than 10m/s in GPS mode in forward flight. I am sure before it was -25 degrees for GPS and -35 degrees for atti.

On the surface, 10m/s seems like it would not put too big a crimp in any distance record runs, if my math is right:

10m/s X 60s X 7min battery one direction = 4,200m = 4.2km

True but you will need to make sure your headwind is not too strong for the return leg. I think RTH is around 8m/s and with a headwind its like its just hovering :lol:

I dream of a smarter RTH that looks at remaining battery level and know winds aloft, and puts a little more urgency in bleeding altitude and getting home, or deciding home is out of reach and landing as reasonably close as possible.

Apologies for contributing to material digression from the topic of compass declination issue.

Kelly

damoncooper said:
xgeek said:
They have reduced the max tilt angle in both GPS and Atti mode. Max tilt as shown on my iOSD mini in GPS mode is now -13 degrees and in atti mode -25 degrees. I struggle to get more than 10m/s in GPS mode in forward flight. I am sure before it was -25 degrees for GPS and -35 degrees for atti.

On the surface, 10m/s seems like it would not put too big a crimp in any distance record runs, if my math is right:

10m/s X 60s X 7min battery one direction = 4,200m = 4.2km

I'm not interested in distance record runs. I want to film in the afternoon when I'm on the North Oregon coast this summer. With the typical northwest winds there, a 20 mile per hour or so speed limit is a guaranteed lost Phantom 2 Vision+.

I made the decision to buy based on the 15 m/s specs that existed and now they are changing that, unannounced. My Phantom 2 flies great at top speed (I'm still on 3.0). I did a round trip speed test this morning and it averaged 34.5 miles per hour which is just a hair over 15 m/s.

I thought they had reduced the maximum angle to help with the J-hook, etc. I tested that theory this morning on a football field and found I was wrong and that lower forward bank angle actually causes my Phantom to end up farther left in the same forward distance.

I'll have the video this afternoon.

Ian - you still alive or have you hit the bourbon to celebrate???

I just went for a nice Saturday afternoon flight. I have everything on my P2 / H3-3D dialed in except the j-hook. I feel like it is the final piece and I can't stand waiting....

As far as I can tell we have 3 of the 5 beta testers responding with positive results. Waiting on the others so we can get this thing to the public.

It will be interesting to see if this really is a fix and how long it take DJI to go public with it. Then, how many people will actually do the update given how many are skeptical of any updates.

Early this morning when I read that beta testers were seeing 30 some percent lower max speed on the 3.05 beta, I thought "Now that's cheating". But then I thought, maybe the J-hook problem is better if you limit the angle of inclination. So I went to this football field close to home where I could get actual measurements and distances as opposed to the guesstimates I've made in the past.

The results surprised me. I found that if I limited the forward angle to what I think is pretty close to what would yield a 21 mile per hour maximum, the thing actually drifted farther left than when I firewalled it. I ran about 5 tests at each angle and the results were consistantly the same. Here's a video with representative clips

http://youtu.be/bgRfrlpsuro

You know those DJI engineers can't really test for this issue where they're located, so it seems like they're guessing. If they slowed down the Phantom thinking that would help fix compass declination errors, they are barking up the wrong tree and somebody needs to tell them that.

I know I'm not loading any firmware that slows my P2V+ down that much. If I wanted something that would basically just drift with the wind where I want to shoot, I could get a weather baloon with a GoPro. I'm pretty sure the GoPro's wifi wouldn't interfere with a baloon on a string.

I'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch.

I came up with a solution to the J Hook/ drifting issue. It's pretty simple.
Attach a Rudder and wings with Aielerons. Throw in a couple servos, a seperate reciever and give your buddy a new Futaba Radio to control it all. With a little practice, you could both work in sync.

BigBadFun said:
Appears we have lost our fearless leader somewhere between Nevada and LA.

going forward

Andy T said:
onfourblades said:
BigBadFun said:
Ian u there?
I vote for you to keep this moving forward. Something must have happened to him.

Beta Testers- Have you all sent the data to Zach/Terry at DJI?

cruiser607's Firmware test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raCOlNep0P4
Onfourblades' firmware test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OS7Bbs ... e=youtu.be

Conclusions:
1. J- Hook auto corrected by 2nd or third run in high Magnetic declination areas ( -13 @ NYC,NY) Still waiting on higher Decl. areas test.
2. They have reduced the max tilt angle in both GPS and Atti mode. Max tilt as shown on my iOSD mini in GPS mode is now -13 degrees and in atti mode -25 degrees. I struggle to get more than 10m/s in GPS mode in forward flight. I am sure before it was -25 degrees for GPS and -35 degrees for atti.
3. 2m/s descents

Going forward- Dji must receive data from the testers with suggestions on flight limitations (its a slower bird).

Did i miss something?

I am not a beta tester but glad you have my comments in point 2. Would be good if all beta testers could include that in their feedback.

Obviously I voted for the right guy!.. lol. If they want me to run a test up here in Canada where my Declination is over 17 degrees east I would be more than happy to. I have a phantom 2 vision that does crazy stuff that seldom clears up during a flight. I can live with slower speeds easier than i can live with what I have.

Andy T said:
Obviously I voted for the right guy!.. lol. If they want me to run a test up here in Canada where my Declination is over 17 degrees east I would be more than happy to. I have a phantom 2 vision that does crazy stuff that seldom clears up during a flight. I can live with slower speeds easier than i can live with what I have.
sit tight andy this mess will be over soon :)

From what the Beta Testers are reporting and other comments, it sounds as though DJI is not solely correcting the issue by writing new code to correct for the Declination in the current flying location but rather changing performance characteristics to mask the issue so it's not so prevalent.

I don't know!
I'm thinking the P2 Platform was designed with a basic GPS/Compass system that possibly does not have a sophisticated enough design to allow software or firmware corrections required.

My guess is the next Gen Phantom will have a redesigned Compass and GPS.

I dont think the slow down has anything to do with the declination issue since its limited in 3.04

keep in mind that this compass issue didn't develop until after 2.0 firmware?

If I'm wrong could someone please correct me.

I'm a bit confused to why this is a hard problem for them to fix if when they changed the code in 2.0.

Doesn't make sense to me that this issue is that hard to fix.

Nas,

Nasscar][ said:
keep in mind that this compass issue didn't develop until after 2.0 firmware? If I'm wrong could someone please correct me. ,

Nope. Compass issue has existed from the start. I'm on 1.08 and got it bad.

Xrover said:
From what the Beta Testers are reporting and other comments, it sounds as though DJI is not solely correcting the issue by writing new code to correct for the Declination in the current flying location but rather changing performance characteristics to mask the issue so it's not so prevalent.

I don't know!
I'm thinking the P2 Platform was designed with a basic GPS/Compass system that possibly does not have a sophisticated enough design to allow software or firmware corrections required.

My guess is the next Gen Phantom will have a redesigned Compass and GPS.

I doubt that is the problem. Compass and GPS either work or they don't - there are not really any levels of sophistication relevant to this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT