Reaction score
Fishing with drones have become a big thing world wide. And there is several threads here on the topic.

There is many home made options that work OK to attatch and then release your line, many of them ending in disaster as they work only periodicaly and with some luck.
As a result of this several companies have made drone release systems, currently there is 4 consumer quality companies and many home made versions for sale all over.
- FliFli
- Gannet
- PGY-Tech &
- Sky Rigger
In the comparrison chart attatched FliFli was left out as it is the worst of the systems by very far (too heavy, poor mounting position, expensive & limited range)

Of importance on any quad, carrying any load, is lifting position first and formost, something not easily done correctly on a Phantom due to camera and VPS sensors. So many designs make compromises, like deliberatly ignoring the VPS and simply instructing the users to disable it at their own risk.

The second chart is for some of the “home built” releases there is many others all with similar specifications some better than others, these are some of the best. It is clear that they are far fom the same design or quality as the pro units but they are included as they can be found for sale everywhere. The comparison charts were made, as so many of these companies and individuals make bold claims that are simply not true. The charts were made public and the companies asked to comment should there be any mistakes. At the time of posting, only one requested a change which was incorporated. So best our knowlage it is correct.
Values came from actual testing and tests done & published by the companies themselves. Most hard to believe is that a Phantom can “lift” 1,4kg load. This is absolute max lift and can be confirmed by a posted Youtube test video, this set the bench mark and the basis on which to measure all others.

Hope this helps guys that are interseted in trying to fish with a drone.

FECD4288-EFAF-4D36-8507-6E526C0534D8.jpeg

40042CF0-B6D3-4D26-B0F1-355E5E01AF1A.jpeg

0506D5AB-01CF-4886-B055-41A0EAA2653A.jpeg

Flying out a bait with a Phantom 4 Standard fitted with a Gannet X

ED16EA7D-083A-4447-92C3-2A7E97E6B85E.jpeg

The Gannet X on a P4 Pro

25BCFB03-6E4F-43E1-9D10-5CB280166D1D.jpeg

Mavic 2 in action

Attachments

• 3074FFF0-DDEB-4746-A5A5-CA335F0F1392.jpeg
    3074FFF0-DDEB-4746-A5A5-CA335F0F1392.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 499
The Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets provide a little room for trial and error for those that venture into fishing on the water.

Because the Rescue Jackets fit at the Base of the Drone rather than the legs it does not interfere with the Fishing Gear.

Designed to keep your Drone a float and from sinking in the water.
Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Will also allow you to remote land on the water without loosing take off position on the water and in the waves.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you for your article on bait release systems. I want to order the PGY-tech air dropper for a phantom 3A. I read the instructions for the PGY Tech air dropper for the phantom p4 and see that i will have to remove the Led light cover on the drone and replace it with the pgy -tech light (led) fitting. I have a phantom 3 and the led cover can not be removed. Will it work if i tape the PGY- tech light sensor over the Led cover of my P3?

Reactions: Greybush
Thank you for your article on bait release systems. I want to order the PGY-tech air dropper for a phantom 3A. I read the instructions for the PGY Tech air dropper for the phantom p4 and see that i will have to remove the Led light cover on the drone and replace it with the pgy -tech light (led) fitting. I have a phantom 3 and the led cover can not be removed. Will it work if i tape the PGY- tech light sensor over the Led cover of my P3?
There is more that dont fit, the PGYtech is made only for the Phantom 4 Standard, it is too big and crashes into the Camera on the others. It can also not clip onto the landing gear of the P3 as it needs the round legs of the phantom 4.

If you want a much better & cheaper release then see
Gannet Sport fishing bait release – For most drones | Drone Fishing
D1CB1DF0-F910-4EDC-9AB4-E546DD87B2B1.jpeg

Hi

I put a bait dropper on my Phantom 4 Pro. I tested it over a very short distance several times and all seemed ok. So then I used it at the beach for about 200 yards out. The line wouldn’t drop, so we ended up cutting it. But then the drone went crazy and flew over our heads and off into the suburbs. The remote was unable to control it. So I put it in ATTI mode and was getting a strong connection I believe, and I could see the drone, barely. But I had no control most of the time. It kept ascending from the 20 meters I had it, to about 150 meters above houses when the battery warning started beeping. I had a couple of small heart attacks. I got enough response to point the drone towards the beach and get it to move, full video but almost no control. As luck would have it, it made it to the beach just as the battery hit zero, and had descended enough that it wasn’t destroyed..

I removed the bait dropper and replaced the battery and it flew perfectly. (The next day when I had recovered)

At no point did the anti collision sensors indicate they saw the bait dropper, which was my first theory. It is a miracle I still have the drone and that it didn’t plummet onto someone/something.

Does anyone know what could have caused all of this?

Has anyone experience a drone just taking a mind of it's own? Specifically, after it met some resistance? I have had one Phantom go in the ocean and now this. Both times the fishing line got stuck in the reel a couple of times. Another guy I know used his drone to try to pull a model plane out of a tree, but it met with resistance. Then, apparently, the remote lost control of the drone. All Phantoms. Only 3 bits of data, but curious if anyone else has seen this?

Has anyone experience a drone just taking a mind of it's own? Specifically, after it met some resistance? I have had one Phantom go in the ocean and now this. Both times the fishing line got stuck in the reel a couple of times. Another guy I know used his drone to try to pull a model plane out of a tree, but it met with resistance. Then, apparently, the remote lost control of the drone. All Phantoms. Only 3 bits of data, but curious if anyone else has seen this?

I found the secret is to loosen the drag rather than move the bale.
That way it keeps a little resistance on the line and it doesn't tangle.

Hi

I put a bait dropper on my Phantom 4 Pro. I tested it over a very short distance several times and all seemed ok. So then I used it at the beach for about 200 yards out. The line wouldn’t drop, so we ended up cutting it. But then the drone went crazy and flew over our heads and off into the suburbs. The remote was unable to control it. So I put it in ATTI mode and was getting a strong connection I believe, and I could see the drone, barely. But I had no control most of the time. It kept ascending from the 20 meters I had it, to about 150 meters above houses when the battery warning started beeping. I had a couple of small heart attacks. I got enough response to point the drone towards the beach and get it to move, full video but almost no control. As luck would have it, it made it to the beach just as the battery hit zero, and had descended enough that it wasn’t destroyed..

I removed the bait dropper and replaced the battery and it flew perfectly. (The next day when I had recovered)

At no point did the anti collision sensors indicate they saw the bait dropper, which was my first theory. It is a miracle I still have the drone and that it didn’t plummet onto someone/something.

Mayby try something simple like this on my p4,old gimble mount turn strobe light holders turn fishing line release by tightening fishing reel out to make line slide off back while drone continues ,forward,no change of tangle and I use braided ling off sufercaster,can hold 20 gr sinker and 4 to 5 baits,but I only do this in sport mode,,that's where the power for holding is,,gps mode not to keen on Carrie stuff,makes drone over work,,sport mode is perfect,,I get pictures on next time out,,very simple and works great,,I just have to catch some fish now lol,,great to get past those pesky breakers
15649088384451063647192.jpg
i just get my drone about head height clip my line clip on and away it goes,slight gain in altitude with forward momentum keeps line clip till i ready to drop

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phill2
Mayby try something simple like this on my p4,old gimble mount turn strobe light holders turn fishing line release by tightening fishing reel out to make line slide off back while drone continues ,forward,no change of tangle and I use braided ling off sufercaster,can hold 20 gr sinker and 4 to 5 baits,but I only do this in sport mode,,that's where the power for holding is,,gps mode not to keen on Carrie stuff,makes drone over work,,sport mode is perfect,,I get pictures on next time out,,very simple and works great,,I just have to catch some fish now lol,,great to get past those pesky breakersView attachment 113518i just get my drone about head height clip my line clip on and away it goes,slight gain in altitude with forward momentum keeps line clip till i ready to drop

Basically the same as what I use except mine is made from 1/16th brass rod.

Hi

"I removed the bait dropper and replaced the battery and it flew perfectly."

Are you doing a compass calibration when ever you make changes, such as adding and removing the bait dropper?

Rod

Post your flight log, it may have some good clues. ;)
Instructions are on this link:
DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

If you copy paste the results URL to here others can analyze it.

There is also .dat files on the Black Box SD card on the Phantom, that's a little harder to find.

Rod

Last edited:
"I removed the bait dropper and replaced the battery and it flew perfectly."

Are you doing a compass calibration when ever you make changes, such as adding and removing the bait dropper?

Rod

I never thought of it but because mine is brass I can't see it affecting the compass.

I never thought of it but because mine is brass I can't see it affecting the compass.
Yeh mine is 3:16 stone cold Austin stainless,,,,no I have never done compass since adding this either but now that it has been mentioned i will just to be on the safe side

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers